Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
sylandro

Re: [v1.2] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by sylandro »

Just an idea for the next version: you could externalize the music tracks in MAPINFO to the LANGUAGE lump, so that other people can make their own mix of them (Aubrey's bonus tracks are coming soon, so I know I will), especially for the Retribution episode and bonus maps.

Another thing, I noticed that BIGFONT's red colors are a little off compared to the one that appears on graphic patches like CWILV. Tt can be very noticeable if, for example, you change the menu and place the patches next to generated text.

To fix this, you can use the TEXTCOLO lump and add the following:

Code: Select all

Red
{
  #290000 #CE0000
}
Finally, I also noticed that you're adding the "Doom 64 features menu" by rewriting the whole default options menu, which can cause conflicts with other mods or newer versions of GZDoom that add more items there. You could use AddOptionsMenu instead to preserve the default menu and only add your new items.

That's it, I've been enjoying the mod a lot! I eagearly wait for the Retribution and Outcast episodes,
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Good suggestions all around, I will try to implement them all and credit you for the suggestions. :wink:
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I am not completely certain of this, but I believe that the Laser thing was actually a hitscan weapon in the N64 version, the beam was a 3d model just for show.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I think it was, the problem is implementing a good laser. I wish GZDoom was capable of using the same method that Doom 64 did to create the beam, but for now I am stuck to either use a 3D model that ends up being awkward to work with or a really fast projectile that looks like a laser beam. I chose the latter, for now at least. In the future there may be a better way to do it.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

sylandro wrote:Finally, I also noticed that you're adding the "Doom 64 features menu" by rewriting the whole default options menu, which can cause conflicts with other mods or newer versions of GZDoom that add more items there. You could use AddOptionsMenu instead to preserve the default menu and only add your new items.
A couple problems with this though... AddOptionMenu seems to be very new (new from 2.4.0) so that will break compatibility for tons of users. That, and AddOptionMenu seems to add to the bottom of the menu that is being added to and you aren't given control over where it shows up. I will remember this though and possibly add it for version 2 of the mod because at that point it will require 2.4.0 anyway for the lighting effects.
sylandro

Post by sylandro »

Fair enough, keep it in mind for version 2.0 though because QZDoom (and future GZDoom versions) has an extra option that is currently being overriden by your MENUDEF.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Another problem while trying to move music to LANGUAGE and define each map separately, when the map loads the console says music "D_D64MUS01" not found and the music from the menu keeps playing. This is why I didn't do this before because when music tries to get loaded it appends a D_ to the start. My music lumps do not have the D_ prefix and I'd prefer not to add them since my naming convention is already 8 characters. I don't have the need or room for the prefix. Is there some way to make the music lump name be loaded as a literal string with no alterations?
sylandro

Post by sylandro »

Sadly, I don't think that's possible,.. the prefix appears to be hardcoded when parsing MAPINFO. That's a shame, but I guess we can still copy/paste your MAPINFO and alter the music tracks if we want to mix them.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Maybe I could make a script to do a SetMusic at the beginning of each map and reference the LANGUAGE lump entries and then set all MAPINFO music properties to something else. But I suppose an edited MAPINFO to bundle with a music pack isn't too much extra trouble, and is only necessary if you intend to actually change order or change specific maps.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Nevander wrote:I think it was, the problem is implementing a good laser. I wish GZDoom was capable of using the same method that Doom 64 did to create the beam, but for now I am stuck to either use a 3D model that ends up being awkward to work with or a really fast projectile that looks like a laser beam. I chose the latter, for now at least. In the future there may be a better way to do it.
this is something I've been desperate to find out the absolute truth about. I find it quite a surprising that they managed to get an accelerated doom engine to supoport a 3d model projectile in 1997... but if thats what they did then thats what they did... I too did the same as you back when I did my oldskool mod's unmaker. what I did was a custom railattack (invisible) and then had a sprite projectile that deals soley with the visual aspect of the laser. I find this is a good compromise... however this only really works with the central beam. the other two need to just be the projectile as you can offset a railbeam's destination (can you?)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

PSA: The mod will crash out GZDoom 3.0.0 I think due to the way the menus are implemented in the mod because of some kind of sound issue. Playing with -nosound will fix it.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Nevander wrote:PSA: The mod will crash out GZDoom 3.0.0 I think due to the way the menus are implemented in the mod because of some kind of sound issue. Playing with -nosound will fix it.
Sounds like it may be the same problem as this. Should be fine with the 64-bit version, and we'll probably see a bug-fix release since it affects a non-modded game too.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Since the crash did not happen with 2.4 it may be ok to download the 2.4.0 package and copy libsndfile-1.dll into the 3.0 installation. I'll see to make an update tomorrow.
This one was really nasty with 64 bit working fine.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Awesome mod. Always been a fan of Doom 64, and I've played it in a variety of flavors, ranging from N64 to the Doom 64: Absolution TC for Doomsday. Doom64EX is awesome, but what you've done here is just incredible. The test hub is a really cool feature, specifically the arena. It was fun seeing 12 Cyberdemons pound 12 Mother Demons. Good work!

Haven't found any bugs so far either.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Added a toggle option to always or never show map names when maps are loaded. I know some were opposed to that, so I am adding a check if they should be shown. Version 1.3 is shaping up to be a huge update, which will have lots of minor improvements, this option, map sound reverbs (with a toggle for those too), and the Retribution episode. I don't have a release date planned since I still have lots of map work to do. I hope before the end of next month. Sorry for the long ass wait on the new maps.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”