Doom 64: Retribution

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Nevander

Re: [v1.0] Doom 64: Retribution

Post by Nevander »

Due to the negativity and bullshit I am receiving in the DoomWorld thread I am changing the project's summary wording. I'll stop using the words "faithful" and "accurate" like the plague. Thanks.
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

Really liking this, and despite the criticism, it's very accurate :) But more than a port, it's a remaster for me ;) Always wanted to do something similar with Duke Nukem 3D, with the PSX and World Tour episodes polished and added to the package, and some n64 weapons added. This surely is an inspiration. :thumb:
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Nevander wrote:Due to the negativity and bullshit I am receiving in the DoomWorld thread I am changing the project's summary wording. I'll stop using the words "faithful" and "accurate" like the plague. Thanks.
Sorry to hear that man. What can you expect for the people that only knows to complain rather than to give a proper opinion or constructive criticism? Also, you did a great effort to bring back Doom 64 for a newer engine and I appreciate that :)
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

HMNuke93 wrote:Really liking this, and despite the criticism, it's very accurate :) But more than a port, it's a remaster for me ;) Always wanted to do something similar with Duke Nukem 3D, with the PSX and World Tour episodes polished and added to the package, and some n64 weapons added. This surely is an inspiration. :thumb:
I am a bit confused here: are you planning to port DN3D to GZDoom? :shock:
Atendega

Post by Atendega »

Yeah, I'm gonna totally agree that the Doomworld thread has really weird, invalid criticism from people that are clearly misinformed, but I'm not sure why you've lashed out at me. I'm not "giving you shit". Did you see the part where I specifically praised this project? Criticism happens, and I think you're being overly sensitive. It sucks what some of the people at Doomworld are throwing at you, but I don't think I deserve to be lumped in with that. I do apologize if you were somehow hurt by my criticisms of your work, as that wasn't my intention.

Every project will have detractors, and it's a bad idea to automatically dismiss them all as attacks. I really do love what you did with this project. The extra maps are great fun, and you've done an excellent job making most things accurate. I have issues with some of the decisions you made, but they're minor, and my opinion on them doesn't change the fact that I admire the effort you put into this.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

If I want to alter things like monster and item values, can I just edit gzdoom.pk3? If so, what about unique monsters like the Nightmare Imp and the Mother Demon?

EDIT: In the Armory section of the Test Facility map, I noticed you gave the Pistol pick up item a Desert Eagle sprite. I am not sure it is a good choice, given how weak the weapon is.
HMNuke93

Post by HMNuke93 »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:
HMNuke93 wrote:Really liking this, and despite the criticism, it's very accurate :) But more than a port, it's a remaster for me ;) Always wanted to do something similar with Duke Nukem 3D, with the PSX and World Tour episodes polished and added to the package, and some n64 weapons added. This surely is an inspiration. :thumb:

I am a bit confused here: are you planning to port DN3D to GZDoom? :shock:
I don't have the necessary coding and mapping knowledge to do that right now, maybe in the future i'll do a stripped down port
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:If I want to alter things like monster and item values, can I just edit gzdoom.pk3? If so, what about unique monsters like the Nightmare Imp and the Mother Demon?

EDIT: In the Armory section of the Test Facility map, I noticed you gave the Pistol pick up item a Desert Eagle sprite. I am not sure it is a good choice, given how weak the weapon is.
yeah but the first person perspective sprite is clearly a deagle... or at least based on one...

@ nevander, don't suppose you could supply me with a translation code to convert red blood graphics to the nightmare imp blood colours? cant just use the blood colour value as i need to translate custom gib graphics to match the purpley tones and i'm buggered if I can figure out the whole translation thing...

it always comes out orange for me...
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Atendega wrote:Yeah, I'm gonna totally agree that the Doomworld thread has really weird, invalid criticism from people that are clearly misinformed, but I'm not sure why you've lashed out at me. I'm not "giving you shit". Did you see the part where I specifically praised this project? Criticism happens, and I think you're being overly sensitive. It sucks what some of the people at Doomworld are throwing at you, but I don't think I deserve to be lumped in with that. I do apologize if you were somehow hurt by my criticisms of your work, as that wasn't my intention.

Every project will have detractors, and it's a bad idea to automatically dismiss them all as attacks. I really do love what you did with this project. The extra maps are great fun, and you've done an excellent job making most things accurate. I have issues with some of the decisions you made, but they're minor, and my opinion on them doesn't change the fact that I admire the effort you put into this.
The way your criticism was worded sounded overly critical, like it was borderline attacking the project. It's hard to express emotion through written words sometimes, and they can come off one way to someone and another way to someone else. When I read I usually assume the worst from the poster, I don't know why. Maybe due to the way I've been treated even in reality in social situations. Going off topic now but I hope you understand what I mean.
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:If I want to alter things like monster and item values, can I just edit gzdoom.pk3? If so, what about unique monsters like the Nightmare Imp and the Mother Demon?

No, do not edit gzdoom.pk3. You will need to create your own PWAD of DECORATE defintions that inherit from mine, then change their values there. Then load that file after D64RTR.WAD.

I gave the pistol a Desert Eagle pickup sprite because it is a Desert Eagle. :wink:

By comparison the pistol sprite in GZDOOM64/Brutal Doom 64 looks like a pixel art watergun.
osjclatchford wrote:@ nevander, don't suppose you could supply me with a translation code to convert red blood graphics to the nightmare imp blood colours? cant just use the blood colour value as i need to translate custom gib graphics to match the purpley tones and i'm buggered if I can figure out the whole translation thing...

it always comes out orange for me...
I don't think you can do a translation outside of the palette but I could be mistaken. I've never done translations so I don't know. You'd probably have to use a modified Doom palette to add that purple shade somewhere, then translate to that.
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

Atendega wrote:Yeah, I'm gonna totally agree that the Doomworld thread has really weird, invalid criticism from people that are clearly misinformed, but I'm not sure why you've lashed out at me. I'm not "giving you shit". Did you see the part where I specifically praised this project? Criticism happens, and I think you're being overly sensitive. It sucks what some of the people at Doomworld are throwing at you, but I don't think I deserve to be lumped in with that. I do apologize if you were somehow hurt by my criticisms of your work, as that wasn't my intention.

Don't bother trying to sell your point across, Nevander cannot handle criticism and is quick to lash out and threaten to abandon his own mod.
I just hope he secretly reads our suggestions and transforms this mod into a true TC so that way he can continue to use the word "faithful" when describing this.

The mod has serious potential, but not if the author isn't willing to change and take criticism.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

jdagenet wrote:I just hope he secretly reads our suggestions and transforms this mod into a true TC so that way he can continue to use the word "faithful" when describing this.
Is there actually something wrong with you? The mod is a fucking TC.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Maybe cool it a bit?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Sorry. This guy's been on my ass over on Doomworld and I guess he wants to bring it here too.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Nevander wrote:...
I don't think you can do a translation outside of the palette but I could be mistaken. I've never done translations so I don't know. You'd probably have to use a modified Doom palette to add that purple shade somewhere, then translate to that.

yeah its a bastard... did something else in the end:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/u282ao8b8 ... _addon.zip :wink:

gotta say I just finished a play through.. this is SOLID. really enjoyed it. just one question I may be remembering wrong but didn't the enemies that spawned in do so by simply fading in? not with the teleportfog? if so just wondering if you intended to re-instigate this behavior for retribution too? it just makes those spawn ins so much more scary and surprising!
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

osjclatchford wrote:just one question I may be remembering wrong but didn't the enemies that spawned in do so by simply fading in? not with the teleportfog? if so just wondering if you intended to re-instigate this behavior for retribution too? it just makes those spawn ins so much more scary and surprising!
In the original game all enemies and items alike faded into the map. When I started the maps I was using only teleport fog pretty much and then decided to add the fading for at least items. I could change all the maps to spawn via the fade in function but my original thinking was that it didn't make sense for monsters to randomly appear out of thin air. I know that's how the original did it but I wanted to modify this behavior. Monsters in Doom have always teleported to spawn, and that's how we get around in game as well, with teleports and teleport fog. I always imagined that's how the Demons did too.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”