Aetherius (GZD 4.7.1) (Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife) [hiatus]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Fallingferret

Re: Aetherius [GZDoom for Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife]

Post by Fallingferret »

I'm gonna assume you've got ZDL looking like Misfits? In that case, try using the full directory location. ex:

Code: Select all

-file "C:\Games\GZDoom\DV-DS-ComboPack-master" +hud_scale 0
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Anything! As I said earlier I'm terrible with command lines, I'm going now to the option of 7Zip but thank you anyway for the help you are giving me.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Hmmm, I am having trouble with this as well... I am not savvy with manual loading of MODs either, but I did follow the instructions provided and I can't get the MOD to load. It keeps loading vanilla Doom 2, and I have the combo pack sitting in it's own GZDoom directory with it's own version of GZDoom extracted from the extra's folder.
Fallingferret

Post by Fallingferret »

Valherran wrote:Hmmm, I am having trouble with this as well... I am not savvy with manual loading of MODs either, but I did follow the instructions provided and I can't get the MOD to load. It keeps loading vanilla Doom 2, and I have the combo pack sitting in it's own GZDoom directory with it's own version of GZDoom extracted from the extra's folder.
https://i.imgur.com/KfXEvcf.png
Okay, so I'm gonna try and break down batch files ezpz, so that people can hopefully enjoy this mod. [doom2 was the only wad in this zdoom folder, so my example didn't use the -iwad part since it just defaults to doom2]

Step 0: Unzip the DV-DS folder(s) into your GZDoom main folder (or QZDoom dev builds if you're like me)
Step 1: Create a new text file and open it.
Step 2: Type out: gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file "DV-DS-ComboPack-master" +hud_scale 0 exit
Replace doom2.wad with whichever main game you want to play and add "DV-DS-idTech1-master\gamehere" right after the combopack if you want to play heretic/hexen/etc
Step 3: Click "File" then "Save As". Name the file whateveryouwant.bat, change the "Save as type" to "All Files" and save.
Step 4: Double-Click the new file you just made, and play.
~~~~~~~~~~
Alternatively: With 7zip(or another compressor i suppose) https://i.imgur.com/2V6zj0q.png
Unzip the combopack folder anywhere. Select all the files inside the main DV-DS folder, right-click -> 7zip > add to archive -> name it deargodpleasework.pk3, make sure the compression level is set to "store" or as low as possible and hit OK. Now add it to ZDL or what-have-you OR just drag and drop it onto gzdoom with either doom/doom2/tnt/plutonia and call it a day.

If you want to play heretic and the others this way you need to repeat, but with the contents of the idtech1\gamehere folders and load them after the main mod package. (each idtech game needs a seperate .pk3, no cheating. same with the map compat files, if you want to play those. It starts getting cluttered at this point.)

Godspeed, and may Lord Misfit have mercy on your poor souls if you still can't get it working.

if you're really hopeless, you can just drag and drop the whole DV-DS-ComboPack-master folder itself onto gzdoom. don't do it, that's gross
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Lord Misfit wrote:Yeah, A1-A8 is the only real thing she has, and I had ripped those from a debug mode in DQ9 long ago, and they need updated more than any other art asset, but that would be very expensive. x.x
Oh, I see... /pat

Too bad about Flora's sprites...but I guess you still have to do that eventually, as it would be not perfectly, and good luck with that. :P

Lord Misfit wrote: Also, the Doom classes will not be appearing in non-Doom game modes in the future. Ideally, I'd have Corvus for Heretic mode, Baratus/Daedolon/Parias for Hexen Mode, and StrifeGuy for Strife mode as the extra classes. :P
So, hero(es) from each IWADs will only showsplayable in their own ones, right? Fair enough.

I was hoped something like Samsara but looks like I'm silly. :3:

Hmm, maybe adding a famale version of Corvus and StrifeGuy like DooM's would be nice idea. :p
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Replace doom2.wad with whichever main game you want to play and add "DV-DS-idTech1-master\gamehere" right after the combopack if you want to play heretic/hexen/etc
Must have missed that part when I read the instructions. Well it's working now and...
Spoiler:
Lord Misfit
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Lord Misfit »

Valherran wrote:
Spoiler:
Not bad, but make sure you bind the correct keys for things, and do at least check out the mod options menus. I know there's a lot, but there's a lot of tweaking you can do if you want to make your game easier, harder, or just interesting in general. :V

Also, I tend to forget, sometimes unzipping the folders from github appends "-master" to some of them. I'm actually used to using TortoiseGit to directly update and download/sync github stuff on my computer [so if a minor update happens or a bug fix, it's faster and it doesn't have to redownload everything that's unaltered and only updates the newer files]. I'm not the best at explaining how to install or use it though, so I can't be too much help there right now.
PlayerLin

Post by PlayerLin »

Too bad I don't want to install TortoiseGit or other Git Client for just update mod quickly, nah...download full package is good enough for me with my super laziness...~_~".

I started to play on Heretic IWAD, and man...I never run out of ammo, even at skill 5, I'm not sure is it normal or not when I rarely use any of Flora's weapons or her magic at all...as the Heretic weaponry just enough to deal with them(ammo are all over place). Or it just too early? I still in E1 levels...
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

Ammo in general isn't usually an issue on Flora games, the challenge is surviving and quickly killing enemies before they can deal strong hits to you and kill you. If you play as the marines in Doom mode, Ammo is more of a thing like you'd expect, but their MP and spells can sometimes take a bit of a load off their stress. That said though, "MP" is more of Flora's "ammo" for most of her options for range unless you're playing on Heretic mode where she can use pretty much any weapon in that gamemode minus the original Gauntlets.

However that said, E1 of Heretic IS very early [with there being a max of 5 episodes], and just a bit of advice, when monsters' levels start getting above 45-60, they start getting a lot faster and some enemies change up their attacks a bit. This applies in general to monsters in all game modes and mod packs.

Also, if you play the "Hexen: DeathKings" mode, I found that very difficult, but then again, I had some monster-level options jacked up to make them start 25+ levels above the player, and with the MAP#s in DeathKings in the 40s+, it also makes the monsters much tougher than in regular Hexen [especially since you're starting back at Level 0]. I'd advise caution if you play Deathkings with this, even if it's shorter than the original Hexen. :V

Below are the options if anyone wants to tamper with them:
Spoiler: Monster Stat Calcuations Menu
PlayerLin

Post by PlayerLin »

Thank you for explanation. I will keep playing and see how's going on later levels. :)
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Finally I managed to make it work :wub: I created bats files, the only one that failed was the DLC of the Hexen Deathkings of Dark Citadel but the rest worked normally. Thank you friends. Lord, your mod is a lot of fun. It has the option to save the level of your character as in the Doom RPG?
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

No, the DoomRPG system is a very complex system that uses a unique method I'm unaware of. It also uses a different ACS compiler which I never took the time to learn.

Also, probably I wouldn't do it anyways because while you technically can have a high level cap of 200, once you get beyond a certain point, you are just way too strong for starting a new mapset if character stats WERE saved. Also it doesn't work in the context of a "story" for the mod, it's probably assumed your characters in DoomRPG are never the exact same character since they don't have true names, but are just types of classes, where as characters in Aetherius are actual named story characters. :V

I'd consider posting a "story" section for the mod, but the problem is that you can only have five spoiler tags for a post [and I don't want to put the story outside of a spoiler box because I tend to write fairly detailed and don't want to bog the reader down with forced walls of text], and I don't have a way to insert a new post just after my opening post which would be able to essentially extend the number of spoiler tags I get. :\
Doctrine Gamer

Post by Doctrine Gamer »

Which version do you recommend to use this mode? Original or SVN Build? I say this because sometimes I get crashes when load my save, my version is SVN Build x64 (gzdoom-x64-g2.4pre-174-gcfdd580)
PlayerLin

Post by PlayerLin »

Doctrine Gamer wrote:Which version do you recommend to use this mode? Original or SVN Build? I say this because sometimes I get crashes when load my save, my version is SVN Build x64 (gzdoom-x64-g2.4pre-174-gcfdd580)
I don't have any of crashes when loading my save...when using gzdoom-x64-g2.4pre-174-gcfdd580 with this mod. Using official release maybe a good idea if you're not sure. :)

--

I'm on E3M8 of my Heretic run, and I'm stuck on starting area since no Wings of Wrath appears on this mod, but I can use "rocket jumping" with Phoenix Rod and it's a little tricky. Don't know if it's bug or something... :3:

E3M7 also needed Wings of Wrath to access 2 of secret area, and rocket jumping didn't worked since just not enough power to reach the sectors of both secret area, too HIGH for my poor Flora. :P
Fallingferret

Post by Fallingferret »

One of the earlier spells you get is actually flight. I had access to it a couple levels into e1 on Doom 1 at least.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”