D4D - v3 Alpha 8.8 Final (11/22/2020)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Credits mode (Again!?)

Keep as is
29%
Modify: Doom 2016-esque (see p. 49)
66%
Modify: Other (explain please)
No votes
Remove
5%

Total votes: 86

Gollgagh

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 6 -- Feedback requested: page 27!

Post by Gollgagh »

Major Cooke wrote:The toggling will have to be present on the akimbo system. I can leave the single weapons alone easily enough, which makes my work on this a lot easier too.
Fair enough; makes more sense in that context.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Alright, I'm glad we got that settled then.

The next alpha will contain the first iteration of the akimbo system. Features that will be included are mod switching, primary and secondary behaviors based on mods. Since this is a big system, I will need people to test out and make sure it actually works all around and there's no game breaking issues with it before I start implementing the hud and ammo.

Also just realized the link to our discord on the front page was missing. Fixed.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Akimbo but no dual wielding sounds a bit awkward, and not all weapons can be practically wielded akimbo (e.g. chaingun, gauss cannon, BFG, etc).

Anyways, are you planning to use the Slayer-handed sprites from D4T at some point in the future?
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 6 -- Q&A Page 24

Post by Major Cooke »

Don't worry about if it can fit or not without looking weird. It's why Doomguy has shoulders. :P

If Franco can supply me the weapons with and without hands, gladly will.

But as it stands, DBThanatos is extremely against me using anything from D4T in D4D now. The pickups are the only exception that he actually let slide, although all assets are still from D4D itself. Every other idea, however, has been met with:
DBThanatos wrote:Huh, it's almost like you want to port d4t inside d4d. So much for each mod doing it's own thing. :shrug:
In fact it's stuff like this which DBT has cut contact with me entirely over. While I could just do it and not care about his feelings, I'm not that cold. I'd rather try and mend the rift torn between us. The talks about the contemplated changing of hold-secondary to toggle seems to have been the last straw, but there's probably a more deep-seated meaning that I'm not seeing.

Also found on the front of D4T's page:
DBThanatos wrote:We would like to ask you to allow us to utilize exclusively the assets made for this mod, for a period of 60 days from release (until July 18th 2017, enough time to fix whatever bugs we find, and call this a "finished version"). A tremendous amount of work has been put into this mod, and a lot of custom content was created for it. It is most defintely not our intention to lock everything and prohibit using it (considering that a whole bunch of stuff was contributed/borrowed from other mods and modders), yet we would appreciate if you could give us a grace period of 60 days, for us to make the most out of the custom resources made for the mod. After this period, we welcome everyone to take all you need and re-use it as you see fit without any need to ask for permission.

-DBThanatos, Michaelis, Franco Tieppo
So I'm flat out refusing to take anything from D4T until we reconcile. The akimbo system will need the toggle however.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Would there be a possibility that you could put the smoothy weapon and mod animation system from ARGENT to D4D?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

He and DBT are in the same boat, only Xaser and I are still on good terms.

So, no. Not happening. Sorry.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

This reminds me, I need to make a disclaimer.
Disclaimer wrote:Mod authors may use anything within D4D to their heart's content, as long as credit is given where due.
I encourage use of my stuff within other mods, by all means. I like to think that by doing so, others can learn ZScript for example. Considering I ripped apart the code several times during ZScript, it's all 100% mine now, so go crazy with it! It's one reason why I made it open source. :P
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

I understand now, major. I didn't exactly read those statements before I asked. I thought it was already ok given DBT's guidelines regarding borrowing resources from his mod.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yeah. We'll see what Franco says in due time. Stuff like that can be missed easily.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

I asked DBT what the policy was regarding the borrowing of resources from his mod, and afaik he gave the go-ahead for the monster sprites. I think he intends to hold on to the weapon sprites and other stuff.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=54750&p=992922&hil ... it#p993106
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

That's the Neccro sprites though. Not Franco. Terms have definitely changed since them and he is still no more welcoming me to do so.

All good things must come to an end I suppose.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

So apparently, Franco doesn't have handless versions of the new weapons. What's in D4T is it. I thought he had more but unfortunately he doesn't -- they've all been merged together so that's not going to happen.

In other news: Autumn time will mean I'll be rarely working on any mods at all due to nearing the end of my college curriculum for graduation. Except for the occasional bugfix or if Michaelis takes up the mod in my absence, expect little to no progress being made until the start of next year. I intend on pushing as hard and far as I can for everyone to enjoy the akimbo system then it's back to college. And I have a bad feeling about this semester...

There might be a V4. But that's far out on the horizon, if it'll even happen. If it does, I can guarantee you it'll be the last major content update. From then on out it'll just be maintenance compatibility for future GZDoom versions for however long I maintain interest.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I do have some handless edits of most of the weapons' idle frames... I can give them to you once D4T's 60-day grace period for resource harvesting is up. :)

I'm gonna have trouble with the Chaingun's handless idle frames. If all else fails, I'll just try to frankensprite one of Neccronixis's old handless Chaingun sprites to get the handle.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

The chaingun I just lowered. I'll probably do that with a lot of them in fact.
Major Cooke

Re: D4D - v3 Alpha 6 -- A7 is almost here!

Post by Major Cooke »

I'm down to just four more weapons and the next alpha will be released. So either tonight or tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Bear in mind, this will only contain the primary fire of most weapons. Passive upgrades, except for the DDTT and BFG redirector upgrades, are also included so you can have some fun making a couple of them more powerful. Here's a list of the expected alpha contents from here on out.
  • Alpha 8 -- All mods and secondary fire modes. Some UI stuff like weapon charge indicators and/or cooldowns, and crosshairs.
  • Alpha 9 -- Ammo bars, consumption. Bugfixes out the ass.
  • Release 3.0
I'll also include a list of known bugs when I let loose the 7th alpha. Shouldn't affect anything other than the left weapon but assumptions are the mother of all fuckups.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”