D4DHF v0.3 - "Cloak and Dagger" [Add-On]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nocturned85

Re: D4DHF v0.3 - "Cloak and Dagger" [Add-On]

Post by Nocturned85 »

"Question; is it supposed to be possible to get every single upgrade by the end of the game?"

Doesn't Wadsmoosh combine all the Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom maps together?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

If you feel like certain things spawn too often/not enough, tell me about it so it can be considered.
I'll wait on on that since there is more stuff being added.
Yes, but the standard layouts are too easy. Which is why I use the overkill variant for Brutal Doom (that is also balanced for standard Doom).
rileymartin

Post by rileymartin »

I just want to mention that with MP weapons off and holding a Nightmare carrion weapon, gibbed monsters still don't drop any and the only way to gather it is using the mod key on corpses.
jckfrbn

Post by jckfrbn »

Quick bug report: Don't pick up a predator token while m1 with a chainsaw or you will be locked in place after the animation
VICE

Post by VICE »

Posting a quick update with some clarifications since I've been getting some questions recently:

Q: This mod doesn't work on GZDoom 2.3 / Latest D4D, halp!?
A: That's right, nothing changed, this add-on still requires GZDoom 2.2 and D4D 2.0.3 to run.
D4D has gone through a big code overhaul and HF will therefore not work with the latest version.
GZDoom itself has also changed how some of its DECORATE code is handled. That is the current situation until I release a new version of HF that will be compatible with the latest builds. Please be patient and understand that this will take some time.

Q: Next version, when?
A: Don't know yet. When I developed HF I was on a holiday from work so I had a lot of time to maintain, playtest and update. Future updates will be much slower to come. I'm currently waiting for D4D's own update rate to quiet down so I don't have to constantly fight to catch up with Cooke's updates. :)
In the meantime, I'll be contributing a few small things and some upgrades directly into D4D, so you may find some of the features mentioned here in the main mod soon.

Q: What's planned for the future?
A: HF will be rebuilt with the new ZScript language. The way I see it, HF is meant to have:

1. The alternate mobility system - i.e walljumping and dashing. The current implementation is a bit hacky and in the ZScript version will have a proper "mobility style" setting. You will be able to select to play with either the "parkour" like mobility of HF or the double/triple jumping antics of D4D (or neither if you're oldschool like that).
2. Level mechanics - Gore nests, elite guards, praetor tokens and artifacts will all be reworked and made to run smoother.
3. Monsters - Will be remade and inherit the current AI and ZScript improvements Cooke introduced for the base D4D monsters. I would also like to continue expanding the bestiary in the future.
4. Weapons - "Praetor" and "Demonic" weapons will be remade and I hope to add a few more. I will also like to introduce a system that lets the player drop his current weapon so they can manage their arsenal and avoid cluttering it with weapons that they don't use. D4D has a pretty cluttered weapon roster as is, and HF's gun-happy attitude isn't helping matters. :P
I will allow Praetor and Demonic weapons to spawn in the lower difficulty settings if the player desires it via a setting in the menu.
Also, there is already at least 1 more "equipment" type that will definitely be added in the next version.
5. Upgrades - As mentioned above, some of HF's upgrades may be added into D4D. The ones that don't will return in HF along with a few more. I'd especially like to expand the arsenal of suit abilities.
The existing suit abilities, Night Vision and Cloak will be reworked, rebalanced and given upgrades.

I've also added a couple of gameplay videos to the main post for those of you who still haven't tried HF. The videos are not 100% descriptive, but they should give you a decent idea of what to expect from the current version.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

Added some addendums in red.
VICE wrote:
Q: This mod doesn't work on GZDoom 2.3 / Latest D4D, halp!?
A: That's right, nothing changed, this add-on still requires GZDoom 2.2 and D4D 2.0.3 to run.
D4D has gone through a big code overhaul and HF will therefore not work with the latest version.
GZDoom itself has also changed how some of its DECORATE code is handled. That is the current situation until I release a new version of HF that will be compatible with the latest builds. Please be patient and understand that this will take some time.
For the most part the overhaul is complete, but I wish to implement an API of sorts where possible. Currently this might (or not) depend on Graf's implementation of mod detection systems.

Q: Next version, when?
A: Don't know yet. When I developed HF I was on a holiday from work so I had a lot of time to maintain, playtest and update. Future updates will be much slower to come. I'm currently waiting for D4D's own update rate to quiet down so I don't have to constantly fight to catch up with Cooke's updates. :)
In the meantime, I'll be contributing a few small things and some upgrades directly into D4D, so you may find some of the features mentioned here in the main mod soon.
There are already some implemented, so keep watching the github tracker. (If you want you can paste it on your OP.)

Q: What's planned for the future?
A: HF will be rebuilt with the new ZScript language. The way I see it, HF is meant to have:

1. The alternate mobility system - i.e walljumping and dashing. The current implementation is a bit hacky and in the ZScript version will have a proper "mobility style" setting. You will be able to select to play with either the "parkour" like mobility of HF or the double/triple jumping antics of D4D (or neither if you're oldschool like that).
2. Level mechanics - Gore nests, elite guards, praetor tokens and artifacts will all be reworked and made to run smoother.
3. Monsters - Will be remade and inherit the current AI and ZScript improvements Cooke introduced for the base D4D monsters. I would also like to continue expanding the bestiary in the future.
4. Weapons - "Praetor" and "Demonic" weapons will be remade and I hope to add a few more. I will also like to introduce a system that lets the player drop his current weapon so they can manage their arsenal and avoid cluttering it with weapons that they don't use. D4D has a pretty cluttered weapon roster as is, and HF's gun-happy attitude isn't helping matters. :P
I will allow Praetor and Demonic weapons to spawn in the lower difficulty settings if the player desires it via a setting in the menu.
Also, there is already at least 1 more "equipment" type that will definitely be added in the next version.
5. Upgrades - As mentioned above, some of HF's upgrades may be added into D4D. The ones that don't will return in HF along with a few more. I'd especially like to expand the arsenal of suit abilities.
The existing suit abilities, Night Vision and Cloak will be reworked, rebalanced and given upgrades.

Feel free to toss in some of those weapon upgrades such as the pistol one now if you like into a PR. Speak with me on the weapon slot limit restricting system since AEoD has one but it could really be overhauled.

BE WARNED. If you don't want to run the risk of your weapon code being raped and overhauled, don't submit it. While I have no intention of changing the core ability of it, I reserve the right to change anything I desire once it's inside of D4D.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

About that weapon limiting feature will there be an option to turn if off/on ?, Just so people who want to carry and use all that firepower can but at the same time you also please the people who prefer to have limited carrying , so long as the BFG/Chainsaw are undroppable because there is always a need for an designated "OH SHIT" button "mainly the BFG".

Especially if you are surrounded by Doom's Triforce of NOPE "Revvies, Archies and Chaingunners" with other lower tier monsters as an added insult to injury.
VICE

Post by VICE »

Just to clarify, I didn't say there will be a limit to weapon capacity - I said I would like to enable the player to drop weapons.
You could still carry all of the weapons. You would simply have a dedicated key bind for dropping your currently held weapon, so you can manage your arsenal exactly the way you want it and avoid fumbling through guns you don't use to get to the ones that you do.

The fist will not be drop-able (because anatomy), everything else will be.
AdmiralAjax

Post by AdmiralAjax »

Nocturned85 wrote:"Question; is it supposed to be possible to get every single upgrade by the end of the game?"

Wadsmoosh does combine the maps together, but they're still separate episodes, not entirely combined.
soljer13

Post by soljer13 »

Any chance of a merger or patch for Phobos867's Add-ons for D4D?
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

In good time. Life's a bit stressful right now and his mod's basically hinging on my progress. Sadly, college comes first.
snackerfork

Post by snackerfork »

Speaking of that patch, I made a patch that integrates the Gore Nest and Field Drone features from this mod and makes it work with D4D Addons! It's obviously not fully featured since it doesn't include Preator Tokens or Elite Guards or the new weapons - the HUD elements are a little beyond me - but it should work for those features.

I'll quote myself from the main D4D thread:
snackerfork wrote:Howdy! I noticed that the High Frequency patch for D4D didn't work anymore, but I really liked the idea of the Gore Nest and Field Drone features it added. So I made a patch file that readds those features to D4D while also integrating them better with D4D. Here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36UuN ... sp=sharing

It requires the Doom 4 Addons file and your load order should have D4DGoreNestPatch.pk3 after that file. Also, make sure you have the Arachnotron and Pain Elemental spawning Gore Nest cvars disabled - they'll spawn Addon style Gore Nests so they won't work right.

The changes I've made to the original HF mod are that Gore Nests are twice as likely to spawn on skull keys, instead of having a small chance. Also, Field Drones have a 50% chance to drop an upgrade in both Credits and Crates mode. The Crates mode is also fully compatible and will spawn the correct amount of crates rather than 250.

Hopefully this tides people over until the High Frequency mod can be updated!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

An update.

I'm done with college and that means I have freedom again. Already I've been hard at work optimizing everything. Once I'm clear of the lasers and a high/medium/low switch toggle for FX, the porting begins immediately after it.

Vice, if you are still on board with this, I'd like you to help me test it once it's all complete to make sure it all works according to plan. It will take some time though.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”