Sketch Doom [WIP]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DeXiaZ

Sketch Doom [WIP]

Post by DeXiaZ »

Hello everyone. This topic is the continuation of this thread.
As always I'm doing some weird things for GZDoom. And now I want to present you [the] Sketch Doom:

Idea of the Sketch Doom mod is really old. I saw such mods (and all of them still unreleased/frozen/dead) in 2007-2008.

You can see one problem in those screenshots - sprites. They are so "soapy" (edited via paint.net). I don't know what to do to get "good" quality of "sketch-like" style. I'm begging for help. Please, help me with making a "proper quality" sketch sprites.

BTW, what do you think about this idea at all?
Last edited by DeXiaZ on Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leodoom85

Re: Sketch Doom [WIP] [Sprite help needed]

Post by leodoom85 »

Hey, that looks really neat. Sadly, I'm no artist. Maybe the sprites could look more of a drawing style than pixelated, I think.
DeXiaZ

Post by DeXiaZ »

leodoom85 wrote:Hey, that looks really neat. Sadly, I'm no artist. Maybe the sprites could look more of a drawing style than pixelated, I think.
Hey, thanks for comment. Well, it's good to get a drawing style but how? I know only 1 thing - this work must be done via editors like photoshop. I want to understand the algorithm of creating such sprites.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Maybe could be possible to polish only the monsters's sprites. For example, the sprite for the pistol in the image looks great and it suits the look of the mod's theme.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I wonder if the algorithmic method would look nicer if you used an HQ4X or similar filter, then ran your filter over that?
DeXiaZ

Post by DeXiaZ »

Maybe could be possible to polish only the monsters's sprites. For example, the sprite for the pistol in the image looks great and it suits the look of the mod's theme.
Hm, maybe you're right. I'll try to redone enemy sprites to get same effect used for pistol.
I wonder if the algorithmic method would look nicer if you used an HQ4X or similar filter, then ran your filter over that?
You mean use HQ4X inside of GZDoom? It's not a really good idea, because some people won't use GZDoom filters at all. Also, I don't like to use GZDoom-filter-options.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Then I suggest to go for brainy shaders + tonemaps... Uhm, could be it a doable thing?
DeXiaZ

Post by DeXiaZ »

Ozymandias81 wrote:Then I suggest to go for brainy shaders + tonemaps... Uhm, could be a doable thing?
I don't have such "power" to do this. I don't create shaders and nobody will help me with creating shaders because it's the real programming. So, I can use just already created things.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DeXiaZ wrote:You mean use HQ4X inside of GZDoom? It's not a really good idea, because some people won't use GZDoom filters at all. Also, I don't like to use GZDoom-filter-options.
No, not inside the game, I mean actually convert-and-resize all the sprites before applying the sketch filter to them. Using a filter like the questionably-named waifu2x might help as well.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

How'd you do the black outlines on the level itself?
DeXiaZ

Post by DeXiaZ »

Using a filter like the questionably-named waifu2x might help as well.
Thank you, I'll try that!
How'd you do the black outlines on the level itself?
By using Cel-Shading method (shader).

UPDATE:
I've got some results. I hope you will like it.
Before:

After:

Well, it's not so fast process - I did it by the hand (editing, not creating from scratch). So I still need a help. I can do all sprites look like this, but I need a helper who can do the same instructions to make this work faster. If someone are interested in this, please, post reply about this here.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Boy it looks cool
Im gonna be exicted to play SKEESK PLUTTULP: REVEVER OFO DOOD SIMULUMIS
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

My two pennith, the monsters are indeed better but the HUD pistol looked way better first time round...
Doomenator

Post by Doomenator »

Hi! How about this?

Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Looks good! I think it'd definitely lbe a good fit with the HQ4X resize mode in-game too.

8-)

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”