[WIP] Wolfenstein 3D HQ Sprites

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] Wolfenstein 3D HQ Sprites

Post by Captain J »

I think Joey's extra death frame for Barnacle is suitable for my edited version of his sprite. You know, that is intimidatingly wide?

Anyway, i've managed to edit all the extra death frame Joey uploaded:

And alas, guns blocking their appearance is intended. Because they don't disappear unlike the original counterpart.
Alex238

Post by Alex238 »

Captain J wrote:
Anyway, i've managed to edit all the extra death frame Joey uploaded:

And alas, guns blocking their appearance is intended. Because they don't disappear unlike the original counterpart.
I have improved them and added to their respective sheet....

I think they are finally done :lol:
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Still looks a little bit off to me
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That's certainly the weakest looking one. Also, the gun from his right hand defies gravity in one frame.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

barnacleswhenschon.png
barnacleswhenschon.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Huh, maybe i was very busy with the work. Does this frame work now?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Updated GIF. Problem is, two of the frames are essentially the same one only with minor differences. You tell how he stands for a good moment before abruptly falling down, not to mention how his guns jump all over the place. His death is more or less a carbon copy of the one for Giftmacher and Fettgesicht, so it be best to use those for reference I think. The halfway frame between the first and second is the one missing I believe.

EDIT: I'll be adding those updated Giftmacher and Fettgesicht sprites to my ECWolf HD patch along with some other updated odds and ends.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Yeah tbh, the original HD sprite had those unrealistic "noclip" weapons bouncing around. But i tried to make it reasonable as i can because it's at least much better than the ID counterpart: Weapons disappearing once the user is dead like some kind of aryan soul-bound artifact.

Also about the falling animation, i'm pretty sure the ID counterpart does the same thing as well... But the thing is, his legs get flatten during the animation like somebody used the ms paint stretch tool. but i might tweak the sprite later.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

About the gravity defying gun, I thought the fix should look something a bit like this (the only thing I have done is move it down a few pixels so that it looks like it is continuing to fall as it turns):

Original Versus Edit

Edit:

Also, I have to say that I think the second to last frame with the very pointy-up gun makes the gun animation look weird in these deaths too:

The contrast of how its position and its general visibleness is in frames 1, 2 and 4 versus frame 3 is too stark IMO. And how does it get from flying over his shoulder in frame 3 to end up lying behind his leg in frame 4?
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Maybe that is why id decided to just have the gun(s) just disappear all together in the original 64x64 versions.
Alex238

Post by Alex238 »

Enjay wrote: Also, I have to say that I think the second to last frame with the very pointy-up gun makes the gun animation look weird in these deaths too

The contrast of how its position and its general visibleness is in frames 1, 2 and 4 versus frame 3 is too stark IMO. And how does it get from flying over his shoulder in frame 3 to end up lying behind his leg in frame 4?
How about now??
Attachments
2.png
2.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
3.png
3.png (5.81 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Maximum 4 frames for death animation like this is just not enough, but that will do. I see some good and fabulous fixes there!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

The originals only had four frames for their death anim. Still better than three.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Those are certainly better because the weapon doesn't stand out so much in that one frame. However, there is still a big and illogical difference between where it appears to be going in that frame and where it finally ends up in the last frame. Unfortunately, I don't think that is so easy to address.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Also this weapon misplacement happens thanks to 64x64(or 128x128) pixel limitation back in the day. It's lucky that the next game, Doom has no such limitation at all so they were able to put bigger sprites like SMM. Sounds like an excuse, but limitation is like two sides of the same coin.

Anyway i'm not really a big fan of current HD Lost Level sprites. They're just the same existing sprites but recolored and edited a bit. Maybe they look overall weak and act similarly, but the graphics and the sounds they make is still distinctive. But i'm just suggesting here.

And i also found something to start with.
Alex238

Post by Alex238 »

Captain J wrote:Anyway i'm not really a big fan of current HD Lost Level sprites. They're just the same existing sprites but recolored and edited a bit. Maybe they look overall weak and act similarly, but the graphics and the sounds they make is still distinctive. But i'm just suggesting here.

And i also found something to start with.
what do you think?? :)
Attachments
TLE guard progress.png
TLE guard progress.png (3.7 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

Return to “Resources”