WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3 IWAD

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here.

Re: WadSmoosh - merge all official id releases into one PK3

Postby NightFright » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:01 am

Wait - are we talking about GZDoom now or WadSmoosh?
Anyway, for me this is a totally optional request, anyway. I have no problems whatsoever loading Sigil separately, it doesn't need to work like nerve.wad (which was probably still more official than Sigil will ever be).
NightFright

Postby monstario » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Let me first say this: I love this tool! It satisfies my OCD of having everything cleanly organized in one place, and it's damn convenient too, especially because you don't have to mess with Master Levels interface mod - editing WAD contents manually and all that. It can even add both Xbox bonus levels, nice touch but this functionality is kinda obscure - it took me a while to realize those levels' existence, downloading their fixed versions and finding out that WadSmoosh can actually add them in.

As for Sigil... Does it even matter if it's official or not? It comes from Romero, it will most likely be an awesome spiritual successor to Episode 4, and people want it, so... no harm in adding it! However, loading it separately is not really a big deal but a bit messy - you would end up with the original four episodes duplicated: in WadSmoosh, and in that doom.wad launched with "-file sigil.wad" (assuming it will actually appear as a fifth episode instead of becoming the only one once loaded).
monstario

Postby JPL » Sun May 05, 2019 5:40 pm

New build on bitbucket and jp.itch.io, adding map credit images. More info here: https://jp.itch.io/wadsmoosh/devlog/798 ... ap-credits

Regarding Sigil support, I'll release a build if the WAD/PK3 we get from Romero doesn't work properly with WadSmoosh's existing output. I heard he intends to release a vanilla version that replaces episode 3 and a source port friendly version that makes the new maps a proper episode 5, and if the latter doesn't slot neatly into doom_complete.pk3's episode list after Thy Flesh Consumed, I'll update the build so that it does so.

Depending on a few other TBD factors, I might also add support for extracting Sigil's maps for inclusion into the IWAD. John Romero is the one person for whom I will make an exception to my "no support for unofficial PWADs" rule :]
JPL

Postby ShockwaveS08 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Got a bug report and a few suggestions for future versions of WADSmooshed Doom.

B1) The map/credits pic for the secret Master Level, "Bad Dream", is undefined in the Master Levels' MAPINFO lump. Had to fix this myself with a single edit.

S1) Will the "Read This!" menu from Ultimate Doom be re-implemented in future builds? There does exist the occasional mod that makes use of the image lumps found in this "menu", and there is currently no way to access them within Doom Classic Complete.

S2) Any chance the TITLEPIC lump can be spruced up a bit, maybe with the DCC logo front-and-center on the otherwise-barren background? Obviously this will be overridden with a mod/mapset's own TITLEPIC, regardless.

S3) While on the subject of the TITLEPIC, any chance of adding in logos/credits for id Software (Doom1/Doom2/MasterLevels), Nerve Software (NRFTL), and TeamTNT (FinalDoom), optionally with Romero Games as well (Sigil), to give it a more-official look (and assuming there's enough useable screen-space on the lump itself)?

S4) I used DOOM-Crusher to reduce the filesize impact of the new mapname/credit .png's, shaving off ~600KB off of the compiled .pk3 as a whole. I'll leave this information for you to use at your discretion, when the inevitable Sigil Update hits.
ShockwaveS08

Discord: Shockwave_S08#0859

Postby JPL » Tue May 07, 2019 12:04 am

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Got a bug report and a few suggestions for future versions of WADSmooshed Doom.

B1) The map/credits pic for the secret Master Level, "Bad Dream", is undefined in the Master Levels' MAPINFO lump. Had to fix this myself with a single edit.

Good catch, this has been fixed in the build I just uploaded to itch.

S1) Will the "Read This!" menu from Ultimate Doom be re-implemented in future builds? There does exist the occasional mod that makes use of the image lumps found in this "menu", and there is currently no way to access them within Doom Classic Complete.

S2) Any chance the TITLEPIC lump can be spruced up a bit, maybe with the DCC logo front-and-center on the otherwise-barren background? Obviously this will be overridden with a mod/mapset's own TITLEPIC, regardless.

S3) While on the subject of the TITLEPIC, any chance of adding in logos/credits for id Software (Doom1/Doom2/MasterLevels), Nerve Software (NRFTL), and TeamTNT (FinalDoom), optionally with Romero Games as well (Sigil), to give it a more-official look (and assuming there's enough useable screen-space on the lump itself)?

S4) I used DOOM-Crusher to reduce the filesize impact of the new mapname/credit .png's, shaving off ~600KB off of the compiled .pk3 as a whole. I'll leave this information for you to use at your discretion, when the inevitable Sigil Update hits.

S1. Hadn't realized this, I would like to include it but it's not as simple as setting that menu option to appear (drawreadthis in mapinfo); I'd need to do something like change that line depending on whether you can doom.wad, doom2.wad, or both.

S2. That would be cool! It always kinda bugs me when a titlepic has the exact same logo as M_DOOM (the menu header graphic) but maybe bigger, but I agree a title would be good.

S3. I would 100% like to do a proper CREDIT screen with 100% of the personnel involved in the supported releases, like the above it'd just be a matter of taking the time to do a graphic of sufficient quality. (edit: just realized this wasn't what you were asking about, but yes, it'd be nice to have those logos on the titlepic too.)

S4. I ran all the graphics/ images through pngcrush and got 25kb savings out of it... but I'll check out Doom-Crusher. If all it does is output smaller PNGs, that seems zero-cost.
JPL

Postby CONK » Tue May 07, 2019 1:56 am

So, i'm new to this don't criticize me but how do i use this, i mean it states that its a pk3 but the folder itself doesn't have a pk3 so i compressed the folder itself,"Wadsmoosh" into a pk3 but it does not seem to be taking effect. Help plx.
CONK

Discord: 9106
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby wildweasel » Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 am

It creates a pk3 from the official IWADs that you put into the /source_wads folder. For obvious reasons of copyright, Wadsmoosh doesn't distribute a ready made pk3 file.
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby CasualChris » Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 am

2 minor criticisms that I have with the current state of this otherwise perfect collection:

1. Have you considered cleaning up minor typographical things such as E3M7: Gate to Limbo just being called "Limbo" on the automap, MAP09: Abattoire in Plutonia being misspelled (should be "Abattoir" instead), and any other things I may have missed?

2. I can't help but notice that neither Sewers nor Betray have map credits. Sewers was made by David Calvin, and Betray was made by Michael Bukowski.
CasualChris

Postby ShockwaveS08 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:32 pm

@CasualChris

1) I think the decision to preserve the hardcoded map names was intentional, much like how Circle of Destruction is listed as "'O' of Destruction" in the save files.

2) I can confirm that the Xbox-exclusive secret maps don't have an author assigned to their mapname/credit lump, unlike the other 99.9% of WADSmoosh.
ShockwaveS08

Discord: Shockwave_S08#0859

Previous

Return to Editors / Asset Manipulation