Gloom Busters

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Gloom Busters

Post by Hellser »

Yo! I know you're busy replacing the 8-bitty sounds for cartoony-sounds. Something that irks me (but can easily be fixed), the STBAR graphic - can you extend it for us widescreen users? If not, that's cool.

Keep up the great work. Despite how eye-gouging the colors can be. It's silly fun to load this up and play a set of maps.
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

"D_RUNNIN.MID" are really groovy!
Who write music for this TC? :3
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

Thanks for the feedback Rua, that'll help me focus my efforts where they're needed :D
The STBAR should be pretty easy to extend, and the comment about the colours highlights (hur hur) the need for a more muted texture set. I've already fixed a few textures but there's just sooo many lol

Besides the title theme, I wrote all the music myself, some of it completely original and some of it inspired by other tunes (just like the original doom soundtrack :D )
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

OK, i really have to ask, what's the point of the love beam? it's fire rate is not much of an improvement without the "sanic" soda, reloading takes way too long for just 20 shots (maybe if it was upped to 50), it fires a projectile rather than a rail or hitscan. these factors make the weapon more akin to a sub-par plasmagun rather than a chaingun replacement. other than that, I have no complaints for the other weapons.
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

I've removed the reload and I'm probably gonna add the rail effects from the old version (the download won't get updated til I finish the other stuff, but I just wanted to let you know that fucking idiotic programming decision has been rectified :D I honestly don't even know why I added a reload to it in the first place )
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

OK, I really have to ask, what's the point of the love beam? Because:
  • It's fire rate is not much of an improvement without the fire rate soda
  • Reloading takes way too long for just 20 shots (maybe if it was upped to 50)
  • It fires a projectile rather than a rail or hitscan and does not even seem to do as much damage as the raygun
These factors make the weapon more akin to a cold-war sub-par plasmagun rather than a chaingun equivalent replacement. other than that, I have no complaints for the other weapons. (the lipstick guns are VERY satisfying to shoot.)
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

what the hell? my internet is on the fritz to the point i think i double posted. i was editing that one
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

It might have been cuz I replied too fast? Anyway, your critisicm is taken on board, and I'll probably end up balancing the other weapons too :D
NikoTheGrunt
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Gloom Busters soundtrack in MP3???

Post by NikoTheGrunt »

Hello there.

I just wanted to say i really like this mod. There are many things in it that captivate me, most notable being the soundtrack, specially D_E1M1/D_RUNNIN and Akumama's theme.

Then i decided to put 'em in my cellphone, but i wasn't comfortable with using MIDI files, so i tried to convert them to MP3.

T'was one heck of an experiment, mostly because now they sound a lot different than before.
I'll post some download links so you can listen it yourself:

D_E1M1

D_E1M6

AKUMAMA

It's funny, they sounded to "retro" before, and not they sound, like, a lot less retro, i dunno how to explain it.
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

I like how the fluty instrument came out :D
If you want MP3s with the original sound I'd suggest using Audacity and an audio to audio cable plugged into the headphone and microphone holes, and just record the midi that way (you might need a plugin to save as an mp3, ogg takes up more space but is probably a better choice)

I'll take this opportunity to announce that the next update to gloom busters (if I update it at all lol) might be a little different as I'm thinking of changing the style AGAIN and giving the game a little more identity. Like, less Hello Kitty and more Pepper Ann/Doug, still cute but with a decent amount of quirkiness.
i ain't updating anything til I get a new laptop tho cuz my main one biffed a sad the other week and I'm stuck using my shitty acer lol
NikoTheGrunt
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by NikoTheGrunt »

Skelegant wrote:If you want MP3s with the original sound I'd suggest using Audacity and an audio to audio cable plugged into the headphone and microphone holes, and just record the midi that way (you might need a plugin to save as an mp3, ogg takes up more space but is probably a better choice)
Not sure if it'll be worth the trouble; considering the fact that i put and played the MIDI files in my cellphone and for some reason they sounded differently from when i play them on my computer(somewhat similar to the converted mp3 versions). With that said, all that work you're suggesting may prove fruitless considering the original purpose of me converting the files. Besides, i dunno how to use Audacity.
Skelegant wrote:I like how the fluty instrument came out :D
Yeah, what's up with that? The music consisted of a bunch of beeps and boops in a sequence, and now it sounds like i remixed it or something when all i did was convert them to high quality mp3. Is this how MIDI files work? I dunno how you made these musics or where you got them from but they sure are something.

I'm thinking of making it into a personal customization add-on for your mod. I think i'll call it "Gloom Busters Arrange sountrack" or something; Just like other games that contain "Arrange" soundtrack, like Soul Blade. Of course, I'm not serious; it's just a silly idea. :wink:
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Hey - Vinny's covered this mod on his stream, did you know that?!
Skelegant

Post by Skelegant »

Yup, I would have preferred for him to have sorted the settings out before playing it though :P
(Adamant, next time you send Binyot doom games, make sure to give him gzdoom setup instructions lol)
Rua Gubs

Post by Rua Gubs »

Are you still making the "Retro Soundpack" for people who prefer the old retro sounds over the new cartoony ones?
TheAdmantArchvile

Post by TheAdmantArchvile »

Skelegant wrote:Yup, I would have preferred for him to have sorted the settings out before playing it though :P
(Adamant, next time you send Binyot doom games, make sure to give him gzdoom setup instructions lol)
Will do. I only just found out about the portable ini. Graf, if you're reading this, thank you for putting that in because that just saved us a ton of time and hassle.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”