Shadow Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.3 Released!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JPL

Re: Shadow Of The Wool Ball :3 (v1.3 Released!)

Post by JPL »

Fantastic work on the game, glad to hear you picked it back up after a few years away. That gives many others hope for their abandoned projects :]
MSPaintR0cks wrote:Hey :D
Even if it`s really shunned upon in this community, I would love to make this game run as standalone file somehow. So that people who have no idea how to use the original IWADs can still download and play it. And yes, I know why that is a bad idea in some cases.
I already tried to alter some stuff in the ZDoom pk3 file, but it still is really hacky.
Could someone here help me with that somehow? Would be so awesome. :3
Go for it, it doesn't seem to be viewed as negative - ZDoom recognizes the IWADs for Urban Brawl, Harmony, Adventures of Square etc.

Zdoom.pk3 is included with ZDoom and contains the resources it needs, so don't edit that. If you add the right resources to your ShadowOfTheWoolBall.wad, it can function as a replacement for doom2.wad. To find out exactly what resources it's missing, run "zdoom -iwad ShadowOfTheWoolBall.wad" then open the console and see what errors it has printed out.

One tricky thing that got me when I was trying to do something similar: when loaded as an IWAD, ZDoom assumes your wad is for shareware Doom 1 and won't let you access episodes 2 and 3, because it tries to guess which game your IWAD is for by looking at which lumps are present or not present; you can what it uses to determine this here: https://github.com/rheit/zdoom/blob/9cf ... adinfo.txt
I was able to fix this for your wad by just adding an empty lump called FREEDOOM, which may be a bit of a hack but it works, and is easy to remove if you find a better way. So add that and fix any errors you see on startup, and you're standalone!
JPL

Post by JPL »

Okay, just because I suspected it wasn't much work, I tried doing what I suggested above, and it only took a few minutes. Here's an edited version of your 1.3 wad that ZDoom launches as an IWAD with no errors:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sotmmruna3f0 ... e.zip?dl=0

Changes I made:
- Added an empty lump called FREEDOOM that passes the Doom 1 shareware test.
- Updated the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps to remove references to unused Doom textures.
- Added two graphics called F_SKY1 and SKY1 - they're never seen so their contents could be anything, but every level references them.

There are still some errors when you open certain maps, though, relating to references to Doom textures. These should be easy to fix in any level editor, and you can open each map in ZDoom to see a list of the texture errors it has. Should be pretty quick work.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This is really helping, thanks for the hand! also would be perfect if you can combine with my version of the mod i've updated and sent you before, R0cks!
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

Wow, thats great! Just tried it, thanks a lot! :D
Buuut for some reason, now the exit switches aren`t animated anymore. Gonna look into this problem, but I have no idea what could cause that. :/

Edit: Nevermind, got it to work. Right now Im adding all the missing graphics that still cause error messages. :D

Edit 2: Looks like now the cat portraits on the walls are missing, even though they are still included in the wad. XD
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Zdoom.pk3 is included with ZDoom and contains the resources it needs, so don't edit that. If you add the right resources to your ShadowOfTheWoolBall.wad, it can function as a replacement for doom2.wad. To find out exactly what resources it's missing, run "zdoom -iwad ShadowOfTheWoolBall.wad" then open the console and see what errors it has printed out.
you can create a bat file like this for acess a log file

zdoom -iwad ShadowOfTheWoolBall.wad +logfile mylog.txt
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I had a lot of fun playing this WAD; the graphics are just adorable.
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II

Post by SanyaWaffles »

A cute, action packed, clever deviation from the maze shooter, complete with nods to many games and cartoons - thematically and functionally.

I really dig the exit mechanics. You gotta time that dash to the exit after pressing the button just right.
AdmiralAjax

Post by AdmiralAjax »

http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_com ... ewoolball/

So, this Dunkelschwamm guy has been ripping sprites from this mod and uploading them on that site. Not to mention other doom mods. I don't know what really can be done about it but I felt you should probably know about this.
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Well that's... mildly annoying.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

How do I keep forgetting to post here? Original game work, jsut the kind of stuff I like to see!

Also: From now on, I am going to link this thread whenever I see someone casually dismissing MSPaint. :D
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

OMG! This game is awesome! I loved the intro short and direct it's all very well executed, the wind parts, the mines and the exit mechanics demonstrate what can be done with a flexible engine, known of programming and a lot of creativity, this is the kind of mod that deserves to be his own game!

If you plan to make an expansion of this, that would be amazing.

If something in my commentary sounds like broken English it's because is my second language. c:
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Can anybody help? I'm using Zdoom 2.9 pre build...
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

EddieMann wrote:Can anybody help? I'm using Zdoom 2.9 pre build...
Have you read the Main page 1, he says you MUST use ZDoom 2.8.1, not anything like pre builds.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:
EddieMann wrote:Can anybody help? I'm using Zdoom 2.9 pre build...
Have you read the Main page 1, he says you MUST use ZDoom 2.8.1, not anything like pre builds.
Silly me.
MSPaintR0cks

Post by MSPaintR0cks »

AdmiralAjax wrote:http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_com ... ewoolball/

So, this Dunkelschwamm guy has been ripping sprites from this mod and uploading them on that site. Not to mention other doom mods. I don't know what really can be done about it but I felt you should probably know about this.
Thx, Almonds showed me that link a few days ago too. :D
Actually I have nothing against this. I contacted that guy via steam and asked him if he could at least give credit to me on the sprite sheets, which he did.

@El Sombrerero
Thanks, and by the way, english is also my second language ;D

@NeuralStunner
Haha thx. xD MSpaint is still kind of a handy tool... :3

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”