Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LedIris

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 15th October 2019)

Post by LedIris »

I've just hastily created a sound comparison. On the left are the current sounds, on the right are the new sounds. They're still a work in progress. All feedback is much appreciated!
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

Wow, they sound great! Honestly can't wait.
BrownInPlay

Post by BrownInPlay »

The added mechanical sounds you've added to a lot of the weapons are a very nice touch, like the minigun was missing something like that. Loving the new Pistol sounds too, and everything else is generally more impactful. This is going to be a very nice update when you're finished :)
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Toberone wrote:Wow, they sound great! Honestly can't wait.
BrownInPlay wrote:The added mechanical sounds you've added to a lot of the weapons are a very nice touch, like the minigun was missing something like that. Loving the new Pistol sounds too, and everything else is generally more impactful. This is going to be a very nice update when you're finished :)
Thanks guys! I think the mechanical sounds are what the weapons were missing. I too am a fan of them :D
I've also just implemented an option that enables/disables the metal armor spark effect. I remember a few pages back it was mentioned that it was odd that it played on damaging floors, and it might be annoying for some players. When disabled, you will just be damaged as normal.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

There are some really truly brilliant ideas in this mod. I just downloaded it on a whim because I needed something quick and flashy to pair with Evernity, but it truly surprised me. Good work! :D
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice sounds! You added some good oomph to the, especially the pistol and AR.
bumfight

Post by bumfight »

Been playing with this weapon mod for a while now.
Its really well done, I really really like it

Edit:
Could you make the minigun a bit less loud and the super shotgun and plasma rifle a bit louder?
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Gifty wrote:There are some really truly brilliant ideas in this mod. I just downloaded it on a whim because I needed something quick and flashy to pair with Evernity, but it truly surprised me. Good work! :D
bumfight wrote:Been playing with this weapon mod for a while now.
Its really well done, I really really like it
-Ghost wrote:Nice sounds! You added some good oomph to the, especially the pistol and AR.
Much appreciated, guys! These mean a lot to me. Thank you for playing and enjoying! :D
The sound update is still in the works, I'm very close to completion :)
bumfight wrote:Edit:
Could you make the minigun a bit less loud and the super shotgun and plasma rifle a bit louder?
This issue should be fixed with the sound update, as every weapons' sound effects are being updated. Unless you mean the new sounds, in which case, they are still being worked on and I'll keep this in mind
Endless

Post by Endless »

I just tried this one. Really cool so far. I like gameplay mods that dont go too far from the vanilla experience, but instead enhance it. This one is going to be my go-to mod for the next season :D
Also, just quick question, is there an estimated date for the next update? I would love to have those sounds.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Endless wrote:I just tried this one. Really cool so far. I like gameplay mods that dont go too far from the vanilla experience, but instead enhance it. This one is going to be my go-to mod for the next season :D
Thank you! I'm really glad you enjoy. :D
Also, just quick question, is there an estimated date for the next update? I would love to have those sounds.
I'm very close to completion, so I'll say the 14th August or possibly earlier. Here is another little preview on the new distant explosion sounds being added. I think these make a nice little addition to the mod. These are also work in progress and all feedback is appreciated as always!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice sounds! The weapon sounds and such have always been one of the best things about this mod.
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

-Ghost- wrote:Nice sounds! The weapon sounds and such have always been one of the best things about this mod.
Thank you for the kind words! I really appreciate that. I've always had a soft spot for great sound design in games, so it's nice to hear I'm achieving that :D
LedIris

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED Aug 14 2020)

Post by LedIris »

Updated! Here's the full Aug 2020 changelog.
First, the sound changes:
-Firing sound effects have been overhauled for all weapons, featuring more bass, power & punchiness
-Chainsaw firing & idle sounds loop correctly & are cut off properly when deselecting/being turned off
-Reloading sounds have been modified for Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Super Shotgun, Minigun & Plasma Rifle
-Distant explosion sounds have been added for the Rocket projectile & the Grenade projectile with varying volumes depending on the projectile
-The Grenade projectile no longer falls when exploding
-More variations of holster & foley sounds added to select/deselect/reload states
-Item pickup sounds have been modified for the following:
Armor & health bonus
9mm ammo clips
Shotgun shells & box of shotgun shells
Rockets
Mini stimpack & normal stimpack
Berserk
-New casing sounds for the 9mm bullets & shotgun shells
-A new option has been added which allows you to turn off the armor spark effect when damaged
-Fixed a bug where quick-punching the Exit switch with Berserk will cause the next level to be zoomed in when starting
-Rocket explosion sprite offsets have been adjusted to emanate closer to centre point of rocket impact
-Empty magazines dropped by weapons have been scaled down slightly & only play their sounds when bouncing
-BFG & Super Shotgun Ready sprites have been renamed internally to avoid conflicts with certain WADs
-Reloading CVARs have been renamed to avoid conflicts
Additionally, the file has been renamed from li-wpnitm to li-gnrcwpn. Enjoy! Let me know if there are any problems and as always feedback is appreciated!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

YES!

Good to see you're still around!

Downloading this RIGHT NOW
Endless

Post by Endless »

Hey man! I've been playing this mod for a while now, and with the last update, I gotta say this is the most satisfaying vanilla-ish gameplay mod out there, def gonna keep playing it for much more. So, with that out of the way, I wanted to give you my general opinion and some feedback regarding Leds Generic Weapon mods.
First, some possible bugs. :!:

- BUGS -
- Voxels OFF option wont stay. This means that every time I start a new game, the voxels are on.
- Randomly, I can't pick up green armor even when under 100%. This happened to me on the maps in the Serenity series, so maybe that's it.
- By disabling the reloading option, the shotgun no longer fires in the secondary mode (one shot per click.) Is this intentional?

So far, I think thats the only bugs I have encountered, as you can see, they are not essential or game breaking, but still a tad annoying. Now, some general feedback.

--- FEEDBACK ---
First off, lets start with the weapons.
- Fists & Chainsaw: Great, both of them. The chainsaw is now both useful and fun to use.
- Pistol: Better, faster, stronger. The sound is decent enough. My only issue has to be with the ammo (see below.)
- Rifle: Awesome. I love the sound of this one, my favorite gun to use now. Maybe the only thing I would change is making it a lil bit more accurate when aiming, but thats ok. Also, I think the spawn rate its quite low. In both Doom 1 & 2 fist levels, I would finish them without the rifle spawning.
- Shotgun: Same as rifle, awesome to use and more faster, which means much fun.
- SSG: Not that much of a change, but still fun to use, the sound is great, very powerful. I would only make it a little more powerful to the point that it can one-shot a revenant at point blank. Yes, this would make it much stronger, but also much fun to use and perfect for dealing against really tanky enemies.
- Chaingun: The sound is both smooth and strong, without being hyper load. I love the ''cooling'' sound too. Feels great, I would probably make the ''charging'' effect a little faste and actually increase a little more the rate of fire.
- Rocket Launcher: Beautiful. The faster rate of fire is very fun, buuut, I really wish you would change the dmg the player takes. Now because if fires faster, you can kill yourself really easy if a lost soul gets in your face for a split second while firing. Its one of those things of vanilla that I actually dont really like.
- Plasmagun: Now it sounds like a plasma gun! Pretty strong like it needs to be and the secondary fire now feels much punchier. I still dont use it that much tho, mostly because it consumes some ammo and the only times I use it is for sniping cacodemons, which take more than 3 total secundary fires to die on UV, so it kinda becomes a novelty.
- BFG: Its the goddamn BFG, its already perfect. I mean... making it stronger woundnt hurt anyone, only demons. :wink:

You have done a great job with the weapons, some minor tweaking still left, but they are pretty cool. Now, for some general feedback about the gamepla.
--- OVERALL ---
- Thanks for making the spark effect an option.I wasnt very fond of it because it activated with every kind of dmg, so it got annoying with poison floors.
- This one is MAJOR, at least for me. It's the only complaint I have about the mod. The new ammunition system doesn't feel like it fits into the game. Now with pistol, rifle and minigun ammunition, I almost always had an exaggeration of pistol ammunition, half ammunition for the rifle and almost nothing for the mingun (especially now that it shoots faster, it spends faster.) This is especially noticeable in The Ultimate Doom where there are no chaingunners to supply us. The way you can improve this is simple: You can either go back to the simple 1 type of ammunition system for all 3 weapons, or you can increase either the total amount of ammunition or the amount of ammunition collected. Either of those can be an improvement, but personally, I am not a fan of the ammunition system. Also, the fact that theres no more ''bullets'' (Vanilla I mean) means that the vanilla statusbar doenst work correctly because it doesnt track bullets, and thus, most HUD's wont work too. Pity.
- The explosive barrels are great, I like them, but I think the mixed mode that adds the crates doesn't make a big difference. The crates don't spawn much and don't give much ammunition anyway, sometimes they don't even give at all. You should buffer that a little.
- One of the annoying things about Doom Vanilla is the 200% health and armor limit. I say this because when you reach the limit, you will still collect both HP and Armor bonuses, and it's something I find annoying especially on maps where you are forced to collect the bonuses, which ends up being a waste. If you could fix this it would be great, I think that 1) you could remove the limit or 2) you could make that when you reach the limit, you don't collect bonus anymore to avoid wasting them.
- The flash when picking up the objects is a bit strong for me. It is not annoying, I like it, but when playing in the dark it would be good to have an option to change it a little less bright.
- When you pick up Invulnerability there is a great glow of a cream color or a mixture that lasts longer than it should, I think this is kind of annoying. Within the same issue, you should change the extremely white/barely black mode that has the vanilla invulnerability.
- The small visual upgrades are pretty cool, voxels are well done (a little bit buggy, see above) but good extra addition.
- What do you think about adding some crosshairs? That would be awesome to go along with the more modern look and feel.
- For even cooler visuals, how about adding some bullet tracers? They always look cool in my book.
- I see you havent mess with monsters, I appreciate that. Vanilla monsters are not perfectly balanced, but fun enough. If you were to change it, tho, I would recommend nerfin Lost Souls hp (Kinda like in Eviternity), Archie huge dmg output might need some nerf and I would delete revenants. Okey, that last one might be a bit exaggerated. I just hate them :evil:
- As a note, I know that must recommendations I give actually buff the player, dont take it a golden advice, but I do believe that the faster or stronger (not being Overkill levels of power of course) the player gets, the better and more fun the game becomes. :mrgreen:

Well, that's some of the things I can recommend. Keep in mind that I'm not a modder, I don't know about that, but I'm an enthusiast of the game and I quite enjoy Mods that improve the quality of life and speed up pacing a bit. This has been one of my recent favorites. I tried the game for a few hours with Leds, using both The Ultimate Doom (with the Serenity series) and Doom 2 (with DBP09, Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions and the IWAD) and I had a very good experience. I will keep up playing with it for now, I like it well enough to do so. This is my overall opinion: This is a great mod and thank you for the effort. I hope you found this both helpful and inspiring. Thanks! :) Btw, sorry for the weird english.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”