Led's Generic Weapon Mod (UPDATED! April 2 2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Neccronixis

Re: Led's Generic Weapon Mod (Updated 15th October 2019)

Post by Neccronixis »

Here's some considerations for this mod:

- Zombieman rifle fire volume is higher than the player's
- Adjust rocket explosion sprites offests so they emanate closer to centre point of rocket impact
- Convert all sprites to PNG paletted (DOOM) in Slade to remove stray transparent pixels. You will only get 256 colours, but it is much less work than manually erasing transparent pixels
- Use a sound loop for chainsaw wall and flesh impact like Final Doomer
- Make Chainsaw not pull players towards monsters
- Remove chaingun sprite bobbing during fire
- Increase rate of fire for the bfg (BFGG A 21 A_WeaponReady >> BFGG A 1 A_WeaponReady). Only because I feel it is less powerful than the vanilla BFG.
- Use the knuckle duster punch sprites from Final Doomer because they are higher quality

Some weapons have a secondary attack. For the sake of consistency, can I suggest:
- A toggleable laser sight for increased accuracy instead of iron sight zoom for the rifle - OR a super accurate semi automatic secondary attack
- Zombieman drops either rifle or pistol that can be used akimbo.
- Primary fire for the shotgun is always classic pump, while secondary attack is faster pump with less accuracy
- Primary chaingun fire is slower (approx 600rpm) yet more accurate and has no wind up/down delay, (and secondary attack is the existing primary attack)
- A continuous hitscan beam attack for the BFG 9000 - OR make the default firemode a charged attack that increases in power the longer you hold the trigger - like Doom 3

I like the new sounds you are working on; especially the shotguns and plasma rifle. As much as I love the SOF2 m4 rifle sound, I think something like this would suit better:
Rifle Fire sound.pk3
(206.49 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Are Voxels supposed to default to on every time you start up? I've noticed I have to turn them off again every time.
wanisea

Post by wanisea »

All right, can't we change the model of the plasma gun to the original plasma gun?
And when you're hit by a rail gun, there's no blood.
I also want to be able to auto aim the railgun. (Vertical)
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

wanisea wrote:*snip
This plasma gun sprite in particular has a decent number of sprites to actually make a convincing reload animation which is why its in use in a lot of mods, I haven't really seen a "good" reload of the original plasma gun tbh.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Is it possible that when you switch to no reloading the hud could change so that it shows max ammo and not what you have in your clip?
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Whew! Thanks all for the replies.
TheOldKingCole wrote:Is it possible that when you switch to no reloading the hud could change so that it shows max ammo and not what you have in your clip?
AFAIK this would require a custom HUD which I'd rather not add for compatibility reasons (I'd rather let users use their own HUDs if they have one autoloaded)
-Ghost- wrote:Are Voxels supposed to default to on every time you start up? I've noticed I have to turn them off again every time.
I believe the voxels turning back on is default GZDoom behavior, though someone might have to correct me on that.
Neccronixis wrote:Here's some considerations for this mod:

- Zombieman rifle fire volume is higher than the player's
- Adjust rocket explosion sprites offests so they emanate closer to centre point of rocket impact
- Convert all sprites to PNG paletted (DOOM) in Slade to remove stray transparent pixels. You will only get 256 colours, but it is much less work than manually erasing transparent pixels
- Use a sound loop for chainsaw wall and flesh impact like Final Doomer
- Make Chainsaw not pull players towards monsters
- Remove chaingun sprite bobbing during fire
- Increase rate of fire for the bfg (BFGG A 21 A_WeaponReady >> BFGG A 1 A_WeaponReady). Only because I feel it is less powerful than the vanilla BFG.
- Use the knuckle duster punch sprites from Final Doomer because they are higher quality
Thanks for these considerations! I've done my best to implement most of them for the next version. The BFG in the mod is actually unchanged from the vanilla counterpart, but I've slightly increased its' rate of fire anyways.
Some weapons have a secondary attack. For the sake of consistency, can I suggest:
- A toggleable laser sight for increased accuracy instead of iron sight zoom for the rifle - OR a super accurate semi automatic secondary attack
- Zombieman drops either rifle or pistol that can be used akimbo.
- Primary fire for the shotgun is always classic pump, while secondary attack is faster pump with less accuracy
- Primary chaingun fire is slower (approx 600rpm) yet more accurate and has no wind up/down delay, (and secondary attack is the existing primary attack)
- A continuous hitscan beam attack for the BFG 9000 - OR make the default firemode a charged attack that increases in power the longer you hold the trigger - like Doom 3
I've been experimenting with these a lot and they're great suggestions! I think the laser sight for the rifle would work a bit better than the iron sights. I'll try and get these included in another future update, probably after the sound overhaul.
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

can someone in short tell me how different is this from - weapons of saturn? - i havent realized yet
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Voxels, more CVARS, tweaked altfires, no Colt 45 (As far as i can remember) and more i can't remember.
theroguemonk

Post by theroguemonk »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Voxels, more CVARS, tweaked altfires, no Colt 45 (As far as i can remember) and more i can't remember.
i am not good at the codiing side what is cvars and what do they give?

without th ecolt that is one of my fav weapons
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

theroguemonk wrote:what is cvars and what do they give?
Try googling it. Once. Just once...
theroguemonk

Post by theroguemonk »

Cyanide wrote:
theroguemonk wrote:what is cvars and what do they give?
Try googling it. Once. Just once...
CVAR and ConVar are abbreviations for Console Variable. Depending on the context in which the term is found, it may also stand for Client Variable, or Configuration Variable

yes but what has changed or been added in short verison
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

theroguemonk wrote:yes but what has changed or been added in short verison
Cosmobyte's explanation pretty much nails it. For a slightly longer version:
Essentially, this mod overhauls the vanilla arsenal without replacing monsters or adding drastic gameplay changing features. It adds more satisfying animations and sound effects, as well as some quality of life changes, such as picking up individual shells, and a quick punch ability. CVARs, in this case, simply means there are more options available to customize in the mod. For example: you can enable/disable reloading, turn off smoke effects and shell casings, change shotgun pump styles, and more. This project is not focused on including more weapons (except the assault rifle) it instead focuses more on making the entire arsenal useful and satisfying.
theroguemonk

Post by theroguemonk »

LedIris wrote:
theroguemonk wrote:yes but what has changed or been added in short verison
Cosmobyte's explanation pretty much nails it. For a slightly longer version:
Essentially, this mod overhauls the vanilla arsenal without replacing monsters or adding drastic gameplay changing features. It adds more satisfying animations and sound effects, as well as some quality of life changes, such as picking up individual shells, and a quick punch ability. CVARs, in this case, simply means there are more options available to customize in the mod. For example: you can enable/disable reloading, turn off smoke effects and shell casings, change shotgun pump styles, and more. This project is not focused on including more weapons (except the assault rifle) it instead focuses more on making the entire arsenal useful and satisfying.
the new weapons of saturn has an assault rifle now too btw ..
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

theroguemonk wrote:the new weapons of saturn has an assault rifle now too btw ..
...Then... go play what you want instead? :shrug:
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

theroguemonk wrote:
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Voxels, more CVARS, tweaked altfires, no Colt 45 (As far as i can remember) and more i can't remember.
i am not good at the codiing side what is cvars and what do they give?

without th ecolt that is one of my fav weapons
Boot up one mod at a time and see what changes.

I won't believe you can't spot the diferences.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”