Blanket Doom: Updated 1.1

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Drake Raider

Re: Blanket Doom: Finished

Post by Drake Raider »

Yo. Double post due to update. I finished Inferno earlier today, and am henceforth uploading my wad. All three episodes in the original game are fully updated. All bugs should be gone. Give it a run, with your favorite weapons mod or vanilla. Anything should work. Find any bugs, give me a yell. I'm debating doing more, eg Thy Flesh Consumed or Doom 2. No idea if I will though.

Enjoy, folks.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ip9y2 ... mFinal.wad
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Cool. Couple more fixes:

- I forgot to mention the escape into the HOM zone in the dark area of E2M6. It's an ugly bug though.
- In the second set of stairs up in E2, the silent teleport line is facing the wrong way.
- E3 didn't exit normally after killing just about everything. Tested this in multiplayer. Nice final slaughter though.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

I swear I fixed the teleport line, but if I didn't, thanks. I'll check again. There's yet another spider mastermind in multiplayer, though I should probably change that I'd it's tampering with the engine. It worked for me, I'll double check. What final boss did you fight? Also. Thanks for the hom thing. I just never noticed it.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

The big Dis-style arena was the area we visited and expected to exit when we were finished. I know there was another Mastermind in the E3M6 area but we killed that too, so.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Killed the all the masterminds in the final area? Including the teleporting one? Hmm. Thanks. I'll look into it.

EDIT: I can't seem to find the E2M6 glitch in Doom Builder. Any help?
EDIT Again: Nvm, Found it.
Drake Raider

Re: Blanket Doom: Polished.

Post by Drake Raider »

Lesson learned. Don't say "Finished" until you've playtested exhaustively. This is version 1.1. All the principle stuff has been finished, any bugs I have found, fixed. And, last but not least, I took some advice from earlier posters. And some influence from Beed28's Heretic Unabridged http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51718. The areas will now have area names when entering. This is also used to refer to specific subareas in Shores, so that the E2M6 hub makes more sense. The game will autosave when collecting keys, or opening final area doors. The secret levels are now marked as hidden. And a boss script has been written for the final level. Unfortunately, and against my desires, this means that I've used up around scripts 1-30, so compatibility for mods that use those will be gone. They are probably few and far between. Any commentary will be welcome. Also. I kinda wanna use this for 64 player deathmatch sometime. That'd be sweet.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/36ab6 ... Doom11.rar

Also. Finally. Screenshots. I tried to mostly aim them for stuff I changed. All credit to id where I failed.

Using Brutal Doom 2.0, the GZDoom Lights and Brightmaps, and the HighRes pack https://github.com/KuriKai/DHTP. Also. The newest, 2.1.1 64bit version of GZDooM. You can't see it, but I was also using the PSX music pack for atmosphere. And some mild Reshade bloom.

http://imgur.com/a/fm5JU

Some examples.
Spoiler:
Patriot1776

Re: Blanket Doom: Updated 1.1

Post by Patriot1776 »

Played through Knee Deep and Shores so far, and this is extremely well done! As others have said, this is a very, very well done concept, and makes a lot of sense! All the levels of an episode combined together into one massive one makes everything feel noticeably larger overall and there's something for just about everybody gameplay wise. Very, very impressive with how you expanded so much upon the Tower of Babel idea from the original game, truly making it feel more like you WERE climbing God-forsaken tower only the damned would call home. The slaughter-fest feel within the Tower itself was a very good build up for the final fights, really ratcheting up the tension.

Finding the Fortress of Mystery was a good surprise, but I never was able to find the Military Base in Knee Deep! Is it even there?

If there's only one critique I may offer up right now, it has to do with area name scripting and music switching: sometimes when entering an area and remembering where it was at in the level order, I was immediately turning right around and backtracking because I was simply not ready enter that 'map area' yet, but going back, the music sometimes failed to revert and I had to deal with going through an area with another area's music playing. Your scripts I gather have a cooldown delay on them before they reset?

About to try Inferno now.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Yeah, they have a cooldown. Perhaps I could tinker to figure out the bit with the music for a future version. My central goal with the cooldown was to keep them from triggering multiple times if a firefight was going down near the linedef.
I hope you enjoy Inferno, I was pretty proud of the finished episode. Though.... my emotions are split on the final fight in this one.

Also. Yes. Military Base IS there... I just went outta my way to hide it is all. It's extremely accessible.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Hey folks, check the first map of out. http://www.mediafire.com/download/ecm7m ... tDoom2.wad
Tell me what ya think.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice, I'm glad you're doing Doom 2. That should be fun with all the city levels.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Patriot1776 wrote:Played through Knee Deep and Shores so far, and this is extremely well done! As others have said, this is a very, very well done concept, and makes a lot of sense! All the levels of an episode combined together into one massive one makes everything feel noticeably larger overall and there's something for just about everybody gameplay wise. Very, very impressive with how you expanded so much upon the Tower of Babel idea from the original game, truly making it feel more like you WERE climbing God-forsaken tower only the damned would call home. The slaughter-fest feel within the Tower itself was a very good build up for the final fights, really ratcheting up the tension.
Vertical and climbing levels would be neat, and very enjoyable, if done right - it is a concept which became plausible by utilizing ladder-climbing (or wall climbing for that matter) in FPS games, but none of the known FPS games seem to take advantage on this. So I really support this concept, in fact, I shall utilize it meself in our TC - these will be the infamous Tower Power levels, the hardest possible levels in the entire universe and beyond, by the way :P the player has to climb a huge skyscraper from the outside, and he better shoots well and accurately, as the fall is gonna be a LONG way down...!
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

This is a genuinely fascinating concept! I'd love to see more WADs like this.

Return to “Levels”