Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - A Final Update

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
patrik

Re: Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - Version 2 : Hexen Fighter Dem

Post by patrik »

Could you next time use fullscreenoffsets for your HUD, to make it compatible with all aspect ratios?
Two other nitpicks: key bar would look better, if those stone backgrounds of keys were edited out and I noticed that raising shield for some reason alerts enemies.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Ah, i wanted, about a zandronum version (heretic/hexen), if you made it, it will be possible to host permanent servers with BestEver.org on doomseeker ! ^^
Not only for my stands in the festivals.

I hope people will play it in coop at least. :)
It's always a good moment of fun !
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

patrik wrote:Could you next time use fullscreenoffsets for your HUD, to make it compatible with all aspect ratios?
Two other nitpicks: key bar would look better, if those stone backgrounds of keys were edited out and I noticed that raising shield for some reason alerts enemies.
With fullscreenoffsets, I can't exactly get the size I want with the HUD graphics. If you know a way to work around this, or how to get the proper sizing for the HUD graphics with fullscreenoffsets set, please let me know. In the mean time, I'll be making a new HUD that replaces the alternative HUD, which will be fullscreenoffset, so at least this mod is playable for people who can't get the other HUD to work.

I never actually made a proper keybar for the new HUD, so I'll be changing that up.

The shield alerts enemies? Never noticed that. It'll be fixed in a bug fix I make today.
Manhs wrote: Ah, i wanted, about a zandronum version (heretic/hexen), if you made it, it will be possible to host permanent servers with BestEver.org on doomseeker ! ^^
Not only for my stands in the festivals.
Don't worry, that's still on it's way. The fighter demo for V2 is simply a glimpse of what to expect for the full V2. I'm also planning on making a version in which each playerclass is available for both games, something that Valherran suggested earlier, so imagine a crazy deathmatch party like that!
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

You mean, Corvus can be used in Hexen and class of hexen can be used in Heretic? :o
Just curious, are you gonna change the tomed Hell Staff?

Also, i noticed only now there was a kick with Corvus in Heretic, haha, awesome ! xD :twisted:
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

@Manhs
Yeah, I'm gonna change the tomed hellstaff.

@Everybody
Also, sorry I didn't get the bug fix out yesterday like I said I would. I've got something really awesome that I've been working on though, so I could probably get a second fighter demo out either tomorrow or sometime this week.

I could use some help with this project though. What I'm adding is a "familiar system". At the beginning of the game, you get to choose a type of summonable familiar that attacks enemies for you. It costs "red mana", which is dropped by enemies upon death, and you can heal the minions by right clicking them, which also costs red mana. As you level up, the minion upgrades itself and occasionally transforms entirely. For example, you could start off taking a gargoyle familiar, and once you get to a certain level, it becomes a bigger and more powerful variant of a gargoyle.

What I need help with is sprites and ideas. I currently have one familiar completed, along with it's upgrades. If somebody is capable of making sprites for variants of creatures like afrits or serpents, that would be cool. I'm also willing to take ideas, as long as I haven't thought if them myself. I'm not exactly "begging" for people to help me, but I would be able to get new versions out quicker if I recieved help.

Thank you all!
Seidolon

Re: Brutal HeXen/Heretic RPG - Version 3 Fighter Demo

Post by Seidolon »

Alright another fighter demo is out. I've decided to skip finishing version 2 since I added so much since then. You'd be waiting forever to get a full version out. The new HUD should work for all aspect ratios now. It might not fit perfectly, but there shouldn't be any parts getting cut off the screen like before. There's also video in the OP, so there are obviously no new screenshots, since that would be pointless. Have Fun!
Blaskovic

Post by Blaskovic »

I really like your work dude THIS MOD IS. THE. BEST. i really hope you keep doing it!!!!! salute my man :twisted: :lol: 8-) :D
Last edited by Blaskovic on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead

Post by dead »

Its really great that you carry on this Mod. I played a short 30 Min. Session until yet, it's much more fun than the original Hexen gameplay - today.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Every time there's a new version it feels like christmas all over again lol. Gave a full playthrough, here are a few thoughts on it:

Pros:

+The red mana mechanics are quite interesting, and make the game overall more manageable, since with a bit of smart resource management you can keep using your heavier weapons and stay healthy all the while. Also, I really like the sprite you used for the mana crystal
+The increased speed of the crystal mace makes it more viable, and fun, to use
+Golem familiar is really cool
+The graphics for the mana batteries look awesome
+Flechettes are more viable for use now, not quite as strong as they were, but far more useful as they are
+The swamp wildlife (those tiny dragon things, and odd bird things) are really fitting for the maps they appear in, and add a lot of ambiance
+Bubbles to indicate where Stalkers are at. Thank you.
+Being able to hit Centaurs even with their shields up (I think this was present in v.2, but it seemed more notorious in this one)

Cons:

-Those goddamned spiders; the new cave spider is very quick and difficult to see, and pretty much invisible in, well, caves. To be fair, they deal very little damage so they're only annoying
-Being able to hurt your familiar, being hurt by your familiar, and not being able to walk through it. That reduced a little, not much, of its usefulness
-Without intention of being reiterative, Quietus' main attack still feels flimsy; secondary attack though is awesome
-More like a personal gripe, stock Hexen maps get boring once you know them by heart

Suggestions:

*As Valherran mentioned before, as possible way to make Quietus be stronger but balanced, why not making its primary attack slower but far stronger (like a 1-2 combo killing a brown serpent,) while making its secondary an unlockable for level 12-15ish? Its secondary feels like a proper badass ultimate attack, so it may be good as an unlock by the end of Hub 3, or midways through 4
*The ability to customize what your familiar upgrades into would be a neat addition, if not changing the overall appearance, perhaps the types of attack it uses- On that note, a possible future familiar could be Dragonling > Gargoyle > Wyvern
*Unlocking red mana based abilities as you level up. In the case of the Fighter for example, a berserker mode costing say 50 mana, that lets him use his fists only but deal quite some damage, or some such, unlocked as the character levels up
*The ability to synthetize armor using red mana, as the pickups found through the game are few and far between to make a longlasting difference; otherwise, perhaps give certain monsters a chance to drop armor pickups
*Improving the crossbow's accuracy as it levels up, to make it a more viable sniping weapon in the long run
*A magic explosion of gibs and stuff for Bishops, their stock death seems rather tame compared with the rest of enemies
*Same with Reivers

That would be it on the suggestions front; as before, the pros outdo by far the cons, your mod is seriously shaping into something really fun to play. Do you plan on finishing the Fighter class before making the rest?

Keep up the great work
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote: Pros:

+The red mana mechanics are quite interesting, and make the game overall more manageable, since with a bit of smart resource management you can keep using your heavier weapons and stay healthy all the while. Also, I really like the sprite you used for the mana crystal
+The increased speed of the crystal mace makes it more viable, and fun, to use
+Golem familiar is really cool
+The graphics for the mana batteries look awesome
+Flechettes are more viable for use now, not quite as strong as they were, but far more useful as they are
+The swamp wildlife (those tiny dragon things, and odd bird things) are really fitting for the maps they appear in, and add a lot of ambiance
+Bubbles to indicate where Stalkers are at. Thank you.
+Being able to hit Centaurs even with their shields up (I think this was present in v.2, but it seemed more notorious in this one)
Thanks, that red mana crystal's sprites are just recolors of the orbs that orbit the heresiarch while it's shields are up.

Those mana batteries use voxels that I made. It took a few hours to make them, since (i'm pretty sure) there's no copy/paste feature in MagickaVoxel, so I had to redesign each side by hand. Worth it though.

I'm going to make more wildlife to spawn in even more environments. The way that they currently work is certain decorations will spawn certain wildlife near them, such as stalagmites spawning cave bats, and brown trees spawning spiders. I'm also going to add ambient wildlife, that don't attack, but are there for, well, ambience.
SallazarSpellcaster wrote: Cons:

-Those goddamned spiders; the new cave spider is very quick and difficult to see, and pretty much invisible in, well, caves. To be fair, they deal very little damage so they're only annoying
-Being able to hurt your familiar, being hurt by your familiar, and not being able to walk through it. That reduced a little, not much, of its usefulness
-Without intention of being reiterative, Quietus' main attack still feels flimsy; secondary attack though is awesome
-More like a personal gripe, stock Hexen maps get boring once you know them by heart
I'm going to make normal spiders jump from closer distances, since I agree they can be annoying. The cave spiders use a system of attacking and retreating, where they bite you, run away for a bit, then come back for another bite, and repeat.

I would be perfectly able to make familiars passable and unable to hurt or get hurt by, but I'm worried that will mess up deathmatch, since all players share a species type with the familiars. I could just try making the script spawn a different version of the familiar in DM.

Ah, the Quietus. I still haven't got around to bringing it to it's potential. That is first on the list right now.

Stock hexen maps do get boring after a while, especially when you have to test your mod out so damn often, but brutalized hexen maps might be better right? I've got quite a bit to do on that, but I'll release a beta for that once I get the shadow wood hub completed. I'm also working on some compatibility patches for some custom wads that I like. I believe a friend of mine might be making a Hexen map pack as well.
SallazarSpellcaster wrote: Suggestions:

*As Valherran mentioned before, as possible way to make Quietus be stronger but balanced, why not making its primary attack slower but far stronger (like a 1-2 combo killing a brown serpent,) while making its secondary an unlockable for level 12-15ish? Its secondary feels like a proper badass ultimate attack, so it may be good as an unlock by the end of Hub 3, or midways through 4
*The ability to customize what your familiar upgrades into would be a neat addition, if not changing the overall appearance, perhaps the types of attack it uses- On that note, a possible future familiar could be Dragonling > Gargoyle > Wyvern
*Unlocking red mana based abilities as you level up. In the case of the Fighter for example, a berserker mode costing say 50 mana, that lets him use his fists only but deal quite some damage, or some such, unlocked as the character levels up
*The ability to synthetize armor using red mana, as the pickups found through the game are few and far between to make a longlasting difference; otherwise, perhaps give certain monsters a chance to drop armor pickups
*Improving the crossbow's accuracy as it levels up, to make it a more viable sniping weapon in the long run
*A magic explosion of gibs and stuff for Bishops, their stock death seems rather tame compared with the rest of enemies
*Same with Reivers

That would be it on the suggestions front; as before, the pros outdo by far the cons, your mod is seriously shaping into something really fun to play. Do you plan on finishing the Fighter class before making the rest?
For the quietus, that sounds like a good idea. I also thought that a wide slash attack that hits multiple enemies in front of you and knocks them back would be cool.

Customizing familiars is definitely something that this mod is just asking for. I've had a good history of getting things done that I would have previously thought were nearly impossible, so I might eventually even add a system of equipping the familiars with weapons/armor/enchantments/etc.

Abilities fueled by red mana is, once again, something that this mod is just asking for.

Synthesizing armor with red mana? I think i've got something else in mind that would provide more armor for the player. I would like to implement a crafting system that allows the player to create artifacts and armor from things that were dropped by enemies or picked up from broken decorations.

I think the crossbow's accuracy already increases with leveling actually, it's just not nearly as noticable as it should be.

Reivers and bishops will get better deaths, it's just difficult to remember stuff like that since they appear later in the game.

Do I plan on finishing the fighter class before making the others? That's hard to answer since I would rather get the fighter's class finished and just make the other classes based on what the fighter has, but I'm not sure this mod is ever going to be "finished". If I wait, then I'll always find an excuse not to make the other characters, since I'm constantly thinking of "totally amazing new features". I should probably get started on updating the other classes now.

EDIT: I would also like to thank you, SallazarSpellcaster, for all the useful feedback you've provided me with, as well as everybody else who has posted feedback here. It's more helpful than you might think.
ThomasNoname

Post by ThomasNoname »

Never been that big fan of brutal doom myself, but I'll try it just because it's an interesting concept to use in Hexen/Heretic.
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Finished a full playthrough, and here are a few more thoughts.

*The voxel for the mesh armor is back to its version 1 model, the one where there were no distinguishable features between the front and the back
*Upon killing Korax, the wraiths didn't spawn from his body and the final portal -to end the game- wasn't opened
*Reaching the 4th hub, being about level 14 or so, due to the health scaling of the enemies they became more of a chore to bring down, especially Slaughtaurs and Serpents

On that, perhaps you may consider making the player's slot 1 weapon increase in damage? The mana weapons were alright for killing larger monsters, but the first weapon -in this case the Ethereal Sword,- which had been dependable up to the 4th hub, lost a lot of its usefulness.

Also, hadn't exactly thought on it, but how exactly does the shield work? It seems to stop projectiles and attacks now and then and when hit in a certain place. Maybe upgrades for the shield would be a neat feature too, to let it be a more viable means for defense.

Lastly, I realized there are LOTS of items that most of the time aren't really used, such as the Chaos and Banishment devices. Do you have any plans for replacing any items?
Seidolon wrote: ...Stock hexen maps do get boring after a while, especially when you have to test your mod out so damn often, but brutalized hexen maps might be better right? I've got quite a bit to do on that, but I'll release a beta for that once I get the shadow wood hub completed. I'm also working on some compatibility patches for some custom wads that I like. I believe a friend of mine might be making a Hexen map pack as well.

...Synthesizing armor with red mana? I think i've got something else in mind that would provide more armor for the player. I would like to implement a crafting system that allows the player to create artifacts and armor from things that were dropped by enemies or picked up from broken decorations.

Do I plan on finishing the fighter class before making the others? That's hard to answer since I would rather get the fighter's class finished and just make the other classes based on what the fighter has, but I'm not sure this mod is ever going to be "finished". If I wait, then I'll always find an excuse not to make the other characters, since I'm constantly thinking of "totally amazing new features". I should probably get started on updating the other classes now.

EDIT: I would also like to thank you, SallazarSpellcaster, for all the useful feedback you've provided me with, as well as everybody else who has posted feedback here. It's more helpful than you might think.
If I may ask, what do you have planned for brutalization? The thing is that the maps themselves aren't bad, though having ploughed through the game so often, you learn how to go through them mechanically. And that's awesome, compatibility patches are cool; may I ask, too, which map packs do you have in mind?
Personally, one I found fun to play through is peewee_RotA's "Hero Quest" http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45245 it's short but it really benefits from the additions of Brutal Hexen, plus, it feels like a dungeon crawler, which is nice.

Having a crafting system would be quite interesting, I take it then that you'll make more decorations destructible?

Alternatively, perhaps you could work on a single class, but change the way it's customized. Sort of as in The Witcher, where you have a single player, but what you can do changes depending on how you customize your character; for example, choosing to be more proficient in melee damage over ranged, or have a bigger mana pool and some regeneration to use ranged weapons. More like a Skyrim/Fallout perk system where your abilities depend on what you choose. Managing the weapons may be a bit difficult though.
Edit: Opting for something like that, you could gear the game towards being more of a rogue-like, randomizing the weapons you get in a playthrough and letting the player alter his playstyle accordingly.

And you're welcome for the feedback. It's an awesome, damned fun mod and one of my favorites, and it's great seeing it progress so smoothly. And you're doing quite a great job.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Finished a full playthrough, and here are a few more thoughts.

*The voxel for the mesh armor is back to its version 1 model, the one where there were no distinguishable features between the front and the back
*Upon killing Korax, the wraiths didn't spawn from his body and the final portal -to end the game- wasn't opened
*Reaching the 4th hub, being about level 14 or so, due to the health scaling of the enemies they became more of a chore to bring down, especially Slaughtaurs and Serpents

On that, perhaps you may consider making the player's slot 1 weapon increase in damage? The mana weapons were alright for killing larger monsters, but the first weapon -in this case the Ethereal Sword,- which had been dependable up to the 4th hub, lost a lot of its usefulness.

Also, hadn't exactly thought on it, but how exactly does the shield work? It seems to stop projectiles and attacks now and then and when hit in a certain place. Maybe upgrades for the shield would be a neat feature too, to let it be a more viable means for defense.

Lastly, I realized there are LOTS of items that most of the time aren't really used, such as the Chaos and Banishment devices. Do you have any plans for replacing any items?
I'll fix the voxel for the mesh armor.

Yeah, I noticed that korax didn't spawn his stuff and didn't open the door after he died, but only after releasing V3. I fixed it already. The code pointer A_KoraxBonePop was commented out of his death sequence for some reason, so I guess Sarge didn't want anybody to finish the game.

I'll look into fixing the health scaling, since I haven't really tested this mod out completely yet. I'll probably just reduce the amount the monsters increase health upon leveling, or increase the weapon damage more like you said.

The shield doesn't really work that well. I hardly ever use it, because I just punch enemies to death instead. I'm going to make it spawn a hitbox similar to the centaur's so it can deflect projectiles better.

As for items that you don't use, I'll probably make random spawners for those so that they don't appear very often. To me, the biggest offender is the Disc of Repulsion. They always just build up in my inventory and I never find any use for them. I'm probably going to make a shop feature too where you can buy/sell inventory items in order for red mana.
SallazarSpellcaster wrote: If I may ask, what do you have planned for brutalization? The thing is that the maps themselves aren't bad, though having ploughed through the game so often, you learn how to go through them mechanically. And that's awesome, compatibility patches are cool; may I ask, too, which map packs do you have in mind?
Personally, one I found fun to play through is peewee_RotA's "Hero Quest" http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45245 it's short but it really benefits from the additions of Brutal Hexen, plus, it feels like a dungeon crawler, which is nice.

Having a crafting system would be quite interesting, I take it then that you'll make more decorations destructible?

Alternatively, perhaps you could work on a single class, but change the way it's customized. Sort of as in The Witcher, where you have a single player, but what you can do changes depending on how you customize your character; for example, choosing to be more proficient in melee damage over ranged, or have a bigger mana pool and some regeneration to use ranged weapons. More like a Skyrim/Fallout perk system where your abilities depend on what you choose. Managing the weapons may be a bit difficult though.
Edit: Opting for something like that, you could gear the game towards being more of a rogue-like, randomizing the weapons you get in a playthrough and letting the player alter his playstyle accordingly.
Fo brutalization, I'm mainly adding more enemies to already existing areas and adding new areas that branch off from old ones to add a bit more unfamiliarity to the game. I also will do minor things like fix misaligned textures (which are everywhere), fix some scripts (like the gibbet glitch), and maybe detail some areas a bit more.

Some wads that I have in mind for compatibility patches are Masters of Chaos (for Heretic), Tower of Chaos (for Hexen), and Necrosis (for Hexen).

For the crafting system, some more decorations could be destroyed for obtaining things. I'm also going to make it possible to fill up bottles with water, where if you are standing on a water texture, then you can activate an empty bottle which you get after using crystal vials or quartz flasks, and it gets filled with water.

I think I'm going to try to stick to the classic three classes from Hexen.
Emmanuelexe

Post by Emmanuelexe »

Yeah, don't make it "too crazy", keep the same "line" , same style, it will be enough! (no need to add 100000 thing!)

I liked Master Of Chaos for Heretic, i 1lifed the maps in Smite meister but damn, this wad is so hard...specially with e2m6 and e3m4 for me :s ....
It could be awesome to replay it with Brutal Heretic :D (and scaring lol).
the95mexican

Post by the95mexican »

i modifie this hands looks pretty but is on work are incomplet hi i am solis
Attachments
wizardweapons.png

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”