ARACNOCIDE 2.7 (Updated 03/Sep/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Aracnocide [11/01/20] 3 New Classes!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

openroadracer wrote:So, I know it's been a while since anyone's posted here; but I've got an idea for a weapon set that could be added to this mod, provided you can either find or make the sprites for such.
Damn, can you believe i haven't seen this? Sorry dude =pppp

I... i don't have anything in the horizon for an 8th class, i do however intend to get back to Aracnocide. Creating a new class is something that demands a very high number of factors, and the only reason i've pushed Mikhail, Luc and Simon out of the door was that i had a lot of unused concepts + i wanted to fuse Lowtech Remake with Aracnocide somehow =u.

But i appreciate your suggestions! I might even take something out of it and have better ideas to enhance this or any other mod =)
Shatter-Thought[V-4] wrote:First things first, thank you for this mod, as all in all it's been a blast to play, and I've enjoyed killing off buggies very much!

Some suggestions for variety include[...]
Thank you as well! I thought i had presented the new throwables for Simon in the last update, but it seems latest file still has the piebomb! :O

Well, it only serves as a statement that i have so much to show-and to do.

I wouldn't get hyped for a new release tho, Aracnocide demands a very very hard amount of work. Good news is, i believe many things can be done better and next update can give it the quality it deserves. =)

Also, this is a good opportunity to say that Aracnocide has passed the 7000 downloads mark. Thanks for the support, everyone! =)
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

Hey Dr_Cosmobyte.

I still really love this mod and I'm slowly reanimating some of the weapons. Here's my latest :)

https://imgur.com/fs1Cb2i
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

I was playing this mod with my friend, combining it with my mod. And experience was so cool, so we detected only entire mappack later that ammo and lying weapons are invisible) I would like to make a suggestion to adapt this mod for Zandronum (The weapons pack especially). Cause it's fun to play in coop even though it is a "little" buggy (no multiplayer options in menu, too big HUD, invisible weapons and ammo...))
openroadracer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by openroadracer »

I'm deciding to bump this thread because I found something interesting and mildly immersion-breaking. For context: In Cosmobyte's new mod War Rooster, I was having some unexpected interactions between his mods, including the mod Ultra Crispy, and Xim's Star Wars Textures caused specifically by Cosmobyte integrating a "TERRAIN" lump in his mods.

This evening, I tried Aracnocide with said texture pack and, even after deleting the "TERRAIN" lump, I'm still having an unusual interaction that I think would be specific to Aracnocide: the footstep sounds when walking about on the circuitry flats that replace blood pool flats still has the same sloshing sound as if you were walking on a liquid flat like a blood pool.

This may require me to delete the footstep sound files if I'm to combine this gameplay mod with this texture pack... Nothing else I've seen really fits with Yholl's Rampancy enemy mod, not that I've seen.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Come to think of it, Rampancy is full of customizable features. Wouldn't it be easier to mess with the robot debris instead of editing my mods? 🤔
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:10 pmCome to think of it, Rampancy is full of customizable features. Wouldn't it be easier to mess with the robot debris instead of editing my mods? 🤔
It's not Rampancy that's causing the issues; it's running your mods with Xim's Star Wars Textures that is.

Look, I just want to be able to run the Star Wars texture set without these immersion-breaking sound effects. If I'm running around on exposed wiring, I'd expect it to sound like exposed wiring, including the sparking with each footstep; I do not expect my footsteps to sound like sloshing about in a pool of syrup.

As for why I would choose to run Rampancy with Star Wars textures: Again, the vanilla textures just don't fit with Rampancy. I haven't seen any decent cyberpunk texture packs out there that can be run by themselves, so I have to settle for Xim's Star Wars pack.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Well, sorry then.

I can't change the way all my mods work because of a strict compatibility issue that'll probably appear in other creations too.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Aracnocide [11/01/20] Dev diary page 28

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hey.

If no one has given up on this, i've got some nice news:

First one is, Aracnocide has surpassed the 8300 downloads mark. Not my most downloaded mod, but still, a form of accomplishment to me since i believe i've somehow entertained at least eight thousand people, or made them dive a bit more in the doom modding community. Recent events and taking a long break from the PC have led me to rethink what i want to do next with my projects, and nothing seemed more logical than finally opening up my mind and taking on Aracnocide once again.

With that said, i think i should show some proof of what i've been doing in the latest days. Don't get your hypes too high, i'm still paving my way for a long overhaul of things, including audio, sprites, code and presentation:

All characters will have distinct looks for their hands, and some of them will even get a revamped arsenal, complete with new features, new upgrade possibilities and maybe some new items to spice up the gameplay, getting it closer to a roguelike experience. Let's see if you can guess who is who! (some results might change slightly in the future, but we have to start somewhere, right?)

The first guy i've took my time to start is Simon! Being a dude with a lowtech-esque approach, i believe some of these weapons might get you into what awaits in his new arsenal. Some of them are the very same as always, some weapons will be totally new:

And to finish this off, i'd like to post a video of a playthrough coming from this VTuber i've discovered recently. The channel is really good! Take a shot.

And that's all for now. I won't post ETAs, but i wanted to anounce this since i've been away from my projects for so long.

Have a nice day!
_Cybermind_

Post by _Cybermind_ »

Excited to see this mod coming back!
I've been re-playing it again lately with various maps and megawads and it has been very enjoyable!
Will the arachnids get a rework as well?
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Your mod was downloaded WAY more . All those YouTubers who used direct links as an example..
I love it definitely .It's amazing .And Iwas hoping for an update
Yokoreta
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Yokoreta »

I loved nightshift and War Rooster because of the custom sleeves in the sprites
Now this is gonna be awesome!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

So, dev diary update:

I finished all main sprites, sans for some reloading animations and muzzle flashes.

In the following days i'll rework the sprite naming system as well as implement new upgrades (and akimbos).

After that, the next step is to code all new weapons, and bring all enhancements from other mods I've done recently, and maybe even bring ZScript to the mod. I've waited long for Zandronum to catch up for at least a bit more of DECORATE, but now we have LZDoom for low end PCs, and maybe that's where we should head to.

No screenshots for today, but i promise i'll bring something to see next time!

Peace!
openroadracer

Post by openroadracer »

So I just had a really dumb weapon upgrade idea come to me: Doesn't Blake Kliessen use the Beretta 92 as his Pistol replacement? Well, why not let him upgrade it into a burst-firing 93R, especially if you can go further and make it look like RoboCop's "Auto-9" from the original movies?

The Auto-9 would be a first upgrade, then akimbo Auto-9s as a second upgrade.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Ah, don't worry! Upgrades will be handled differently in this version of Aracnocide!

I tried to do what pleases both worlds. But i don't want to spoil things, i'm still adjusting offsets and reloads so i can rework the decorates.

=)
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Aracnocide [11/01/20] New trailer page 28!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

So: we're closer than ever! Have this trailer by Mace!

Hope to get this released soon. Enjoy!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”