ARACNOCIDE 2.7 (Updated 03/Sep/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Aracnocide [11/01/20] 3 New Classes!

Post by theroguemonk »

why are the enemies so bad
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

... Because they have over 4 legs?
haxray

Post by haxray »

Maybe im understanding it wrong from what i read of the posts previously on this thread, but it appears you are no longer updating or supporting the enemy half of this mod? If I read that wrong and you are, then i would like to leave some feed back in regards to the ammo problem.

Im fine with ammo being limited, but every time ive attempted to play this with both the monsters and weapons enabled, regardless of mapset i try to use, I always end up being stuck with no ammo due to enemies not dropping ammo pickups of any sort and it quickly stops being fun being forced to use the melee for everything, especially when the chainsaw replacements also require ammo.

If you plan to update them in the future, consider increasing the amount of ammo available in pickups when using the weapons and the enemies together?
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

From what I've read, it kinda seems like they might want to remake the enemies because they're old and outdated. Would be neat to see them get remade, since the concept of the enemy set is rather unique in Doom and could make for some interesting gameplay.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

haxray wrote:Maybe im understanding it wrong from what i read of the posts previously on this thread, but it appears you are no longer updating or supporting the enemy half of this mod? If I read that wrong and you are, then i would like to leave some feed back in regards to the ammo problem.

Im fine with ammo being limited, but every time ive attempted to play this with both the monsters and weapons enabled, regardless of mapset i try to use, I always end up being stuck with no ammo due to enemies not dropping ammo pickups of any sort and it quickly stops being fun being forced to use the melee for everything, especially when the chainsaw replacements also require ammo.

If you plan to update them in the future, consider increasing the amount of ammo available in pickups when using the weapons and the enemies together?
No friend! I just wanted to clarify to the user that the fact the enemies are way too unbalanced and badly coded are fruition of my amateur skills back then. Since there are too many projects i need to move on with and there are many things to fix, i just left them aside. But don't worry, anytime in a remote future i may take this on again.
BradmanX wrote:From what I've read, it kinda seems like they might want to remake the enemies because they're old and outdated. Would be neat to see them get remade, since the concept of the enemy set is rather unique in Doom and could make for some interesting gameplay.
This, thank you Brad!
BradmanX
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by BradmanX »

No problem ^_^
Dr_Cosmobyte

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARACNOCIDE!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

It's been five years...

I am thankful for everything related to this mod, because every now and then i add things to it, and keep it fun. Aracnocide may not be my most "advanced" work, since i don't plan to ZScripfty it or something, but it's definitely my simplest mod.

There are unseen stuff to be released for this game, but before that, i want to polish and fix things that were left.

So in 2021, expect at least a throwback to Aracnocide, so you'll see your favorite class back on business :)
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

Woah! D: Is there will be 8th class?
It also may be cool to have ability to upgrade all weapons! ^^
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Calm down, no new classes just yet :lol:

Just some QoL updates.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Just picked this up again, loving it!
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

Actually, I have long wanted to say that the Blake class suffers from a lack of updates. Maybe a bayonet for a trenchgun or something.
64palm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 64palm »

hello can i ask ??
how to upgrade a weapon ?? or a command order can give all weapon upgrade ??
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

"how to upgrade a weapon ??
Sometimes, when coming across backpacks, you might find a blue box filled with tools, just like this one:

Once you pick it up, you'll add it to your inventory. Use your inventory keys to navigate and choose it. The game will ask you if you want to upgrade your weapon and all you need to do is to confirm.

Some weapons can't be upgraded, some of them can be upgraded more than once. To summon this toolbox in front of you, just open your console and type "summon arwpbox" without quotes.
openroadracer
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

Post by openroadracer »

So, I know it's been a while since anyone's posted here; but I've got an idea for a weapon set that could be added to this mod, provided you can either find or make the sprites for such. It's nothing high priority or anything, just want to know how you'd feel about balancing it.
  • Fist Replacement: "Trench Kabar", exactly what it sounds like: the classic US military combat knife, with an integrated knuckle duster for a handle. Gets an upgrade that takes the same handle configuration and attaches it to a Nepalese Kukri blade, turning it into the "Trench Kukri". Makes rapid, successive swings when Fire is held, similar to Stella's machete.
  • Chainsaw Replacement: An electric circular saw similar to Payday 2's OVE-9000 saw, called the "Rescue Saw". Uniquely for Chainsaw replacements, it only uses ammo when actually hitting things, be it either enemies/destructible objects or level terrain; and it needs periodic "reloads", which consist of removing the worn blade and fitting a new one. Gets an upgrade that turns it into the "Electric Hot Saw", with a more powerful motor to increase damage per hit, and a more durable blade that drains less ammo per hit.
  • Pistol Replacement: "Warrior .45", basically a Kimber Warrior, one of Kimber's M1911-derivative pistols. 8 round magazine, semi-automatic, relatively high damage. Upgrade turns it into the "Warrior .45 Tactical", with a compensator, a micro-reflex sight, a laser sight grip, an under-barrel flashlight, and an aftermarket extended magazine similar to the "Magazine with Ameritude!" from Payday 2's "Gage Spec Ops Pack" DLC that would double magazine capacity to sixteen rounds.
  • Heavy Pistol: "Python .357", a Colt Python .357 Magnum revolver with a six round capacity. Double-action, reloads by speed-loader. A first upgrade replaces it with the "Anaconda .44", a Colt Anaconda .44 Magnum revolver with the same six round capacity and double-action fire rate, still reloads by speed-loaders. A second upgrade will turn it into the "Hunting Viper .44", adding a low-magnification scope and a laser sight + flashlight under-barrel combination module.
  • Shotgun Replacement: "870 Express", a Remington 870 pump-action shotgun with a six shell capacity, behaves pretty similar to all the other pump shotguns currently in the mod. Upgrade turns it into the "870 Tactical", adding a reflex sight, a laser sight + flashlight combination module, a vertical grip attached to the pump, a door-breach muzzle attachment similar to the "King's Crown Compensator" from Payday 2's "Gage Mod Courier" DLC, and extends capacity to eight shells.
  • Super Shotgun Replacement: "Kushnapup 12G", a modified Saiga 12-gauge auto-shotgun in a custom bullpup chassis(for the record, this IS a real product). Five round magazine with single-shot semi-automatic at first. Upgrade adds a reflex sight, "King's Crown Compensator", under-barrel vertical grip, laser sight + flashlight combination module, an eight round magazine, and full-auto fire, turning it into the "Kushnapup 12G Tactical".
  • Sub-Machine Gun/Chaingun Replacement: "Vector .45", the TDI Vector, or KRISS Vector, or whatever they're calling it now. Incredible rate of fire from a 25-round magazine. Upgrade adds a reflex sight, laser sight + flashlight combination module and an under-barrel vertical grip, making it into the "Vector .45 Tactical".
  • Assault Rifle: "AUGA3", Steyr's latest iteration of their AUG bullpup assault rifle. Relatively slow fire rate, but very high accuracy even in its basic version. Starts with a 30-round box magazine and a 16 inch barrel. First upgrade turns it into the "AUGA3 Tactical", adding a reflex sight, extending the magazine to 42 rounds, and giving you a 20 inch barrel. Second upgrade turns it into the "AUGA3 HBAR", replacing the reflex sight with a low-power scope, changing out the magazine to a 100-round drum, and adding an under-barrel vertical grip and laser sight + flashlight combination module.
  • Rocket Launcher Replacement: "XM25", H&K's advanced semi-automatic grenade launcher, comes with a five-round magazine. Upgrade turns it into the "XM25 Bombardier", adding a longer barrel which increases projectile velocity(reducing projectile drop as well), a rangefinder scope, a laser sight + flashlight combination module and an under-barrel vertical grip.
  • Hand-thrown Explosive: "M67", the common US military hand grenade. You can hold Fire to "cook" the fuse, leaving enemies with less time to escape the blast; but this is risky and can blow you up instead. Fairly sizable splash radius.
  • Thermal Weapon/ Plasma Gun Replacement: "M2 Flamethrower", the US military WWII infantry flamethrower. Fires arcing streams of flames. It's basically the best elements of Derrick Wolfe's Molotovs(lingering flames), Blake Kliessen's flamethrower(continuous burning as long as you hold the trigger) and Stella Gibson's napalm cannon(long-range arcing projectiles). It doesn't even need to reload, either; the downside is that the M2 consumes fuel at a MASSIVE rate, giving you only seconds to torch your enemies before you're dry.
  • Heavy Machine Gun: "MG3", Rheinmetall's Cold War update to the infamous MG42 of WWII. Massive rate of fire and 75-round belt box. Upgrade turns it into the "MG3 Tactical", adding a low-power scope, an under-barrel vertical grip, a laser sight + flashlight combination module and a 150-round belt box.
  • Sniper Rifle: "M21", the sniper variant of the M14 battle rifle. Semi-automatic from a ten round box with a moderate magnification scope. Upgrade turns it into the "M21 Tactical", adding a higher magnification rangefinder scope, an under-barrel vertical grip, a laser sight + flashlight combination module and a twenty-round magazine.
  • BFG Replacement: "XLC-MP", the "Experimental Laser Cannon, Man-Portable", a new breed of man-portable anti-tank firepower. Fires a single, massively destructive laser blast, and then has to replace the capacitor after every shot. Comes with a scope for identifying far-off targets. An upgrade turns it into the "XLC-MP-X2", changing it from firing red beams to blue beams, with a pretty serious damage increase; it also upgrades the scope with a built-in rangefinder. A simple hitscan strike of monstrous proportions, making most non-boss enemies simply explode when shot; and killing bosses in only a handful of direct hits. The bottom line of long-range man-portable ordnance.
I do wonder how you could build a character around these weapons, if you were to turn this list into an actual character class.

Of course, it's always your call, Dr. Cosmobyte. Rejecting this idea might sting a little, but I'll be fine even if you do.

EDIT: I suppose I should elaborate on the broader concept I would intend for such a loadout. Basically, it would be the idea of combining high precision with high volume of fire. The former is relatively obvious; while the latter would be achieved through most weapons having one or two out of three possible features(high capacity, fast reload, high fire rate). The only exception to that would be the XLC-MP, which I figure I ought to elaborate on more specifically.

So, the Experimental Laser Cannon, Man-Portable. It would be shaped like a conventional rocket launcher, perhaps more similar to a weapon like the SMAW launcher specifically. However, much of that space would be taken up by power conduits and cooling systems optimized for firing single, high-powered laser blasts. The weapon would use sizable high-energy capacitor cells that would be inserted into the rear of the weapon similar to reloading a typical breech-loaded bazooka. The actual beam width would be incredibly narrow, so as to increase the effect of the energy delivered to the target, increasing the amount of penetration achieved by the extremely short laser pulse.

Interestingly, this weapon would be louder at the point of impact than it is at the point of firing, with the impact of the laser blast creating a sound like a thunderclap. That said, the sound of firing itself would be like the unholy combination of a flash grenade and a camera flashbulb mixed with an "ear rape" meme, combined with other sound effects as you see fit.

As far as making enemies explode when hit by the XLC-MP, I do wonder if anything could be done regarding checks that look up an enemy's spawn health and then cause the impact of the weapon to create an explosion if the enemy's spawn health is below a certain value. It would give the weapon at least some utility for crowd control, even if it is primarily intended to destroy singular tough targets.

Again, I look forward to hearing feedback on these ideas; and while I hope to see this realized, eventually, I will accept if this whole thing gets rejected.
Last edited by openroadracer on Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Shatter-Thought[V-4] »

First things first, thank you for this mod, as all in all it's been a blast to play, and I've enjoyed killing off buggies very much!

I think that Simon Kersey or could use a little more umpf, as he doesn't feel as effective or creative as his lore states.

The pipe bombs in example are just slow thrown grenades mechanically, and for a character the player is meant to be "creative" with, I feel like letting the player could have a little variety with them.

Some suggestions for variety include letting the player throw out pipe bombs with a longer fuse, setting them as tripwire traps, or even upgrading them to emit poison gas in a short radius to poison buggies (slightly) would add to the character, contextually and in effectiveness, also it would have him be more unique as the only character who could upgrade his tossed explosives, or at least one of them of course.

The mm1-12g shotgun feels kind of right for the character, but it pales so much compared to the Browning Auto-5, which I pretty much use exclusively once I get my hands on it as the mm1 is so slow to fire and load, and it's only real advantage is I guess pellet spread? and it has one extra shell? I have a suggestion for an upgrade where Simon modifies it to shoot out phosphorous slugs, these slugs would emit small clouds, not a lot as that could make it op, but akin to small flames some other weapons emit, the clouds stay in the air to damage enemies, which would make it a godsend against air-type enemies. Of course, these clouds would hurt the player badly so they must be wary of them.

I think the H&K's reloading doesn't need that "tossing" animation, though it could be amusing and slightly helpful if the tossed magazine actually hurt enemies (slightly of course), but otherwise it's just making the weapon a little slower and more annoying to use in the long run.

That RPG feels like it could use a little more radius in the rocket for it's slow loading, and ya know, being a rocket launcher. I have an interesting thought for an upgrade which goes with the "creative" context of Simon, adding rubber pads on the sides so you can bounce a rocket against walls to hit enemy groups elsewhere, great for hitting an enemy group unaware of you.

I feel I would want to make suggestions for Stella too, but I will hold off until I can properly study her weapons more then I have, and think of some solid ideas, as so far she's a fine character but I think her science degree could be put to better use...

Speaking on Stella though, her ultimate weapon is fun, but it can be a fps killer. I suggest there would be two modes toggled in the options for an alternate mode that simply hits a wide area with sparse "lightning strikes" with simple sprites that can still keep the weapon effective, say an "expanding" ring of lightning around the impact area.

Thank you again for this awesome mod, I enjoy not just playing the two packs with one another as intended, but even mixing them up with others for unique game experiences, and this is one of my favorite mods in my collection!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”