ARACNOCIDE 2.7 (Updated 03/Sep/23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Aracnocide [Updated 1.1] - Weapon/Enemies Mod

Post by Captain J »

this mod is really good! but, i've got many gripes after playing this.

about weapons;
- handgun and 44 revolver doesn't drop the spent magazine when reloading, unlike PDW assault rifle.
- shotgun fires pallets only horizontally.
- PDW assault rifle and uzi fires very accurately yet same. also about the PDW's name, it kinda reminds me of duke nukem 3d's chaingun cannon.
- uzi casing is bigger than PDW's, intentional?
- super nailgun fires very accurately as well, so it makes basic nailgun more obsolete.
- flamethrower reloading sound effect is... weird. no, i mean the second one after spinning the valve. is this suppose to be an oil injection?
- okay, hear me out and nothing personal, a tactical crossbow is beyond awkwardness. because when the projectile hits something, it always explodes far away from the target. and it's same on the wall as well. and when it's out of arrows, it keeps clicking even it's empty, forever.
- grenade launcher's grenade explodes very largely, intentional?
- gatling gun's fire of rate is kinda same as uzi's. not that mean it's not powerful, because you know, it's underwhelming.
- TNT's sprite is real big when you throw it, and then it becomes smaller.
- molotov cocktail's pickup sprite is ridiculously small and the projectile makes two explosions, one is spawning fire on the ground and other one is crossbow explosion away from the fire explosion. and spawned fire is not so dangerous.
- every single of weapons' bullets and projectile doesn't have decals.

and about monsters;
- it's real shame that i cannot stomp the really tiny spiders on the ground, just saying.
- almost of spiders suddenly disappears when they're dead, maybe make them spawn some gibs like demon replacement grey spider, maybe?
- spectre spider doesn't spawn gibs unlike a grey spider.
- small or big winged spiders plays sting-swinging and stinging sound effects at the same time, also they just don't stop stinging me! and that's the reason why they always get stuck in the corners too!
- brown spider has large amount of health, but still weak. it reaps little bit so it's easier to kill.
- unlike mancubus replacement spider, arachnotron replacement spider does nothing but running. make it spit acid repeatedly, maybe?
- spider cocoon is weak and does nothing but spawning some weak spiders, maybe put a spider body in it to make it walk or spit acids. also add more health too.
- robot spider is weak too, it just fires few bullets and goes to spawn animation and repeats. making it fires explosive projectiles would work.
- spider mastermind is still exists. i know it's about spider, but it's not literally looks like them unlike Doom 64 one.
- about easter egg monsters, stormtroopers? really? i don't think they have common thing with spiders...

so, that's all about it! hope it helped much!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Spoiler:
Woohoo!! THAT'S what i wanted! Feedback!

So, being serious now. Thanks J.

Some issues aren't new for me, some are and some are in a WIP. But let's get on with it.

- i have yet to make these magazines (just rotating the HACX clip on GIMP, same with powerslave speedloader). I also think that the clip doesn't match the PDW, but i just left it on. I think it's time to fix that.

- i edited the original shotty to make it accurate, but kills imps very easily. I might leave the original spread.

- i wanted to keep accuracy on the PDW. I might change the uzi spread. The name it's actually the redux of DoomNukem (sprite author) PDW - 35 (bullet capacity) ;)

- No, not intentional. Will fix.

- I thought better leaving both. One has a powerful 5-shot. The other is automatic. Could satisfy players. But i had an idea after playing Project MSX on making a Nailgun that could resemble a shotty. Without pumping and stuff, just it fires on or two nails. Straight as that. Let's see.

- That's supposed to be the fuel being filled. I took the sound from Evil Dead : Hail to the King (PSX). Tell me if you have a good match, i didn't had many options then.

- Well, the crossbow it's about hate and love that i have. It was present on the alphas/betas/whatever, but after a while without it, i added it on the last days, to fill what the Grenade Launcher couldn't do. I don't know how to keep on with it, i might remove it or not, unless it proves to be useless. And i don't know how to fix the clicking, because i wanted the dryfire state to keep displaying a sprite without arrows even when you select and deselect it. So, that's what annoys me about it too.

- Not SO intentional i think. Will fix.

- Yeah... about the chaingun... should i speed it up or nerf it a bit, what you think? It's OP, intentional, but makes the uzi useless. Actually i think the uzi is useless in many ways, except for a akimbo mode. That would worth it.

- Didn't noticed. Will fix.

- I don't like the fire sprites, but the explosion is something needed. Dunno what else to say about the fire. I'll find a way. Will raise fire damage and sprite scale.

- This last one... Man, i'm pretty sure i done this. Even because, the nailguns had it before i fixed that for me. could you try the nailguns? They're straight from Realm667, and have a decal surely done. If they don't or do appear, just tell me, and we'll see what's the matter here.

Monsters:

- You're not the only one. My friend and tester said the same. But i don't know how to do it. Does it need ACS? The only Mod i know that haves this is Ashes by Voystok.

- The gibs are a WIP. Be sure i'll do it.
- Same as above.

- I must rework that spider, it's the first custom one i made. Lots of bugs about it. I'll try to reduce speed, dimensions, and the actions' ticks.

- The next update will fix that. It's the Baron/Hell Knight replacer, right? One of them will spit acid, pretty much like the imp. The other will be a melee-fast one. Hope i don't make it too OP.

- Does it attacks you? I had this bug where it doesn't attacks for a LONG time and had to reduce it's radius to get it fixed. If it does, i'll make it even faster. That might compensate. It's sprites are hard to work with, but i'll really try to do a spitter one.

- Hmmmmm... a walking nest? Sounds NEAT! I'll work on it. :D

- Y'know, i wanted to do the following. It spawns, it has the eyes closed, then, after seeing you, it awakens and starts shooting. But when it comes back to the See state, starts all over again. I wanted the spider to do it only once. I dunno how to fix. I'm think about tracers, to avoid hitscan OP hits. Sounds good? Same to Spider Mastermind.

- Aww, i like it! It's a spider, although robotic. I don't have a better idea, but i sure want to add the tracers mentioned above and make it a lot smoother, so it's cool to watch a battle against it.

- Yeah man, i know, but, everytime i download a new wad/mod and see the same, or other kind of nazis (with all respect for authors, i love MOH and WWII games), it feels saturated. I watched that movie before. Soo i wanted to surprise the player. I want to keep it if that doesn't bothers you...

You didn't helped much. Helped A LOT! Thanks for the feedback!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

the only thing that gets to me is that the pistol fires a smidge toooo slow
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

and i thanks to you for kind reply! and i hope you can find even more spiders!

also, i might improve your mod and send it to you. just hold on!
Carrascado

Post by Carrascado »

Wow man I love the mod, and thanks for fixing the problem with the crossbow. These aren't issues but they are my ideas for improving the mod a bit:

-The nailgun would look nicer with a muzzle flash.
-Would there be a chance to get the wad with only the weapons or only the monsters? I think those spiders would fit nice with other weapon mods and viceversa.

That's all for now :)

Thanks for your mod! ^^
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

chronoteeth wrote:the only thing that gets to me is that the pistol fires a smidge toooo slow
I have a special plan for the pistol! It's a surprise, but it's going to turn it into something useful, and Rof raised some ticks. Any faster than that could compromise the smoothness weight of the animation, but hope you guys like it!
Captain J wrote:and i thanks to you for kind reply! and i hope you can find even more spiders!
also, i might improve your mod and send it to you. just hold on!
Just downloaded and had a orgasm. Thanks for the GREAT help! The next changelog will cover the details!
Carrascado wrote:Wow man I love the mod, and thanks for fixing the problem with the crossbow. These aren't issues but they are my ideas for improving the mod a bit:

-The nailgun would look nicer with a muzzle flash.
-Would there be a chance to get the wad with only the weapons or only the monsters? I think those spiders would fit nice with other weapon mods and viceversa.

That's all for now :)

Thanks for your mod! ^^
I must thank you for playing! The independent mods will be out soon! Now that CaptainJ made a great improvement related to effects and bugfixes on the mod, i just need to import, touch-up and release it as separate files with the last things that i had planned. Probably the weapon one will come out first.

Thanks for the ideas!
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hello everybody!!!

I gave myself a break these last days, but here comes a new and big update!!!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Checkout the download links on first post!

Have fun!

EDIT: Just to clarify, i forgot that shotgun sprite that comes with the rar on the folder, don't mind to it. I'm not willing to reupload everything again so it'll stay like that 'till the next update. ;)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

glad my update worked just fine! anyway i'm about to improve some spiders' behaviors, later!

also, it would be explainable if the logo at the first page has some webs or tiny spiders, just saying!
LedIris

Post by LedIris »

Awesome update! Digging the new changes. :) The new shotgun sound is great, and Captain J's changes are great, too. Great job on the mod. :D
TheDoomctator

Post by TheDoomctator »

I like it soo much but i have a request...Can i get rid of the spiders?
Don't get me wrong i love the guns (The MOH sounds give me nostalgia-orgasm) but i did not know i had a problem with spiders till this mod...
Soo yeah can i?
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Can I update this, but as a addon needing the original to work?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

TheDoomctator wrote:I like it soo much but i have a request...Can i get rid of the spiders?
Don't get me wrong i love the guns (The MOH sounds give me nostalgia-orgasm) but i did not know i had a problem with spiders till this mod...
Soo yeah can i?
Yes!!! I removed both nailguns and added the sniper from lowtech, but i think it's time to release the separated weapon pack. Give me some time and the link will be up, i'll warn you via PM ;)
Oberron wrote:Can I update this, but as a addon needing the original to work?
Be my guest! I would like to see the new additions!
TheDoomctator

Post by TheDoomctator »

Well that's great news comrade!
I'll look forward to it,seriously man thank you very much just the sight of those 8 eyed freaks gives me nightmares :D
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: Aracnocide [Beta Again... for now!] - Weapon/Enemies Mod

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

After a long time, i decided to work again on this project, and so, i uploaded a new beta, with many differences from the original. Too many things to work, i know. But, just like Kinsie is doing to his great MetaDoom, i am going to spill some betas to get on the overall tastes until we get on the groove again.

Download it and tell me what you think guys. Have fun!
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Aracnocide [Beta Again... for now!] - Weapon/Enemies Mod

Post by VriskaSerket »

I'm slightly arachnophobic.
But then again I enjoy these experiences. Time to squash bugs.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”