do yall recommend switching to gimp?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
raymoohawk

do yall recommend switching to gimp?

Post by raymoohawk »

i was wondering what youre thoughts where on gimp. i use photoshop for spriting, but i end up with crashing and curropted files very frequently, saving frequently only helps slightly, since the program can crash in the middle of saving, also sometimes when i close a document and i open it later, large chunks of it are inexplicably missing. so ive been thinking of looking for an alternative that is less unstable. do you think gimp could be an alternative, considering the type of things that i do? its annoying, specially since my crappy computer also loves to crash
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: do yall recommend switching to gimp?

Post by YukiHerz »

The few times i've tried Gimp i've been put off by its bloated (and ugly) user interface, paintdotnet is the only thing i use for image editing.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I found Gimp more or less unusable, thanks to the incredibly obtuse user interface.
Whoever designed this, is in desperate need of UI design lessons.

Which is too bad, feature-wise it's actually quite good.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Photoshop shouldn't be unstable at all. Which version are you using?
Some, uh, "second hand" releases of it may have weird errors in my experience also.
Trance

Post by Trance »

I use GIMP all the time. The only thing I don't like about the user interface is that the toolset and layers dialog windows can't be moved behind the current working image, so they tend to get in the way. Everything else about it I don't find obtuse or unmanageable at all. Don't know what you guys are complaining about.

Probably better options out there for spriting, though.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

I use GIMP because I'm too cheap to pay for Photoshop.

I also regularly have to have Google open to see which foot I should hop on while the moon is blue to get it to do what I want.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

@raymoohawk
You should get a non-broken copy of Photoshop instead. I have CS6 and I have never seen it crash.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Switching to single window mode in GIMP can fix some of the problems with its UI, and I find myself really enjoying it.
Blox

Post by Blox »

I've been using CS4-6 throughout the last seven years and I have not had a single crash. Something is up and it's not the program.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i don't recall Photoshop crashing for me either, and i've used the legit CS4 and CS6 in school before. maybe he's using legacy versions of the software...?
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

I can't recommend GIMP at all, I've never been able to make heads or tails of the interface.

I hope you can get your computer to play nice with Photoshop again, that sounds like a real hassle. You might be interested in Pro Motion for sprite work, though, regardless. I know ptoing swears by it for pixel art. It's an image editor that's specifically oriented towards indexed color, tiling textures, and detailed pixel work.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Paint.NET suits me pretty well for texture and sprite work.
Blox

Post by Blox »

abbuw wrote:Paint.NET suits me pretty well for texture and sprite work.
Paint.NET is ass if you want to do any serious shit with a tablet, since it doesn't pressure sensitivity which was probably why you got a tablet in the first place.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Blox wrote: Paint.NET is ass if you want to do any serious shit with a tablet, since it doesn't pressure sensitivity which was probably why you got a tablet in the first place.
Gotta agree on that, it isn't really great with tablets. The most you could probably do is make rudimentary outlines for sprite/texture work.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

seeing how nobody seems to have problems with photoshop it probably is an issue with my computer, problem is i still dont have a way to solve it.

im not sure if programs like pro motion or paint.net would be appropriate for my sprites, they seem more appropriate for pixel art than for the painted sprites i do. i suppose it could force me to improve the qualitie of my sprites, but i would rather continue with my usual method (because its faster)

i think ill keep photoshop, but give gimp a quick try, just to see how it goes

thanks for the advice!

Return to “Off-Topic”