Nocturne in Yellow (& Knuckles)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Swordman

Re: Nocturne in Yellow (& Knuckles)

Post by Swordman »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Swordman wrote:0/10 Needs more oh no. Seriously
VKHRT754.ogg and VKHRT254.ogg aren't enough for you?
No
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Swordman wrote:No
Oh no
Blox

Post by Blox »

Swordman

Post by Swordman »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Swordman wrote:No
Oh no
And now there's not enough Knuckles! You are doing it all wrong!
Pros: Listen to Oh No underwater is "sublime"
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Swordman wrote:And now there's not enough Knuckles! You are doing it all wrong!
You tried running both files at once? I get maximum Knuckles and Oh No doing this.
iVoid

Post by iVoid »

Can I use Gzdoom to play this without any problems? And if so, does it matter which iwad I choose?
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

iVoid wrote:Can I use Gzdoom to play this without any problems? And if so, does it matter which iwad I choose?
why would you want to play it in GZDoom? it's a standalone game. you download it and launch the executable.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

@Viscra
GLOOME (sp?) uses the old GL renderer AFAIK. A lot of people have big performance improvements with the new GL 3.x/4.x renderer. That would be a valid reason to use GZDoom instead of GLOOME if it works in GZDoom...
Swordman

Post by Swordman »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Swordman wrote:And now there's not enough Knuckles! You are doing it all wrong!
You tried running both files at once? I get maximum Knuckles and Oh No doing this.
My bad, I tested it today. It's fantastic
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

phantombeta wrote:@Viscra
GLOOME (sp?) uses the old GL renderer AFAIK. A lot of people have big performance improvements with the new GL 3.x/4.x renderer. That would be a valid reason to use GZDoom instead of GLOOME if it works in GZDoom...
I would sincerely doubt "a lot of people", but yes, Nocturne in Yellow works fine in GZDoom with whatever iwad is loaded. You'll have texturing and lighting issues out the wazoo, but it's playable.
Blox

Post by Blox »

The people who would get performance improvements (e.g. me) are quite likely the same people who won't have any performance issues in the first place.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Ok I just played through this on Normal. This is going to involve some semi-funny taglines for screenshots because well, unintentional humor says hello quite a lot here. Bullet points are mostly in level order, or at least when I discovered them. Oh, and spoilers I guess.

-Why is the default use key "C"? Really? "C"? Make it "E" like the rest of use folks use.
-"Oh I can here you alright." As a scenic carpenter, the first thing that's glaringly obvious is what those crosses look like. Who in their right mind cuts up small vertical pieces and makes a cross out of it? It's a lazy texturing choice and should be rectified as it looks really amateur.
-The footsteps in sand sound is obnoxiously loud. It is very noticeable with my 5.1 speaker system.
-The majority of the "extra grenade" secrets are not secrets.
-Is it a salt crystal or a grenade? Make up your damn mind!
-After using up your fancy pants mana ammo, why does the player awkwardly pull the bow back and not fire anything? At least shoot crucifix ammo instead of insulting the player. Same goes for the grenade animation going off without grenades.
-The save points look fancy but they're ultimately useless against the power of... the quicksave!
-"Me neither" she says, as the player is facing the wall half the time during a boss scene.
-You're walking up a stairway! Now stop bugging me I got a whole list of people bugging me right now.
-Do you still not have a 16:9 monitor?
-The final bit of Eriance boss can be exploited here
-My booty call is about to arrive. Get out!
-Texture misalignment
-Sometimes the player makes a grunting sound instead of a menu whatever sound during the boss chats. I think the wizard was one and the other was the second time you meet the lady.
-Oh sure you are
-The rifle dudes easily lose in a 1v1 battle against the javelin thanks to its stun power.
-The peekaboo "The Ring" lady boss battle can easily be broken. Just Run back outside before the door closes and chill right here for a while. I guess the real way of defeating it is to stab and quicksave repeatedly, which is not fun.
-Is it my nose? Do I need a nose job?
-Guys I broke the node builder!
-MAP07 was clearly influenced by Archie
-Please do not force the renderer to render HOMs.
-I know you really like projectiles, but you really ought to limit the amount of sprites in this room. My computer can run nuts.wad better than this. Another screenshot of it in action
-Oh just make out already

It was fun, but after MAP04, the gameplay jumps out of a window and hopes the player can deal with it. Quicksaving becomes a requirement yet it's not encouraged. The hom/archie nonsense in map07 should really be reconsidered. It's unprofessional looking at best.

I understand this was made in a month, but that's no excuse to release something that lacks polish.
Last edited by SyntherAugustus on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i dunno, i never quicksaved the whole game and i didn't have a problem beating it. granted, i played on difficulty 2, not 3. it seems like some people play on skill 3 and expect it to be like HMP, while it's more like UV instead.
3noneTwo

Post by 3noneTwo »

blackfish wrote:-Why is the default use key "C"? Really? "C"? Make it "E" like the rest of use folks use.
I rebound keys almost immediately. Bindings under the spoiler.
Spoiler:
blackfish wrote:-The peekaboo "The Ring" lady boss battle can easily be broken. Just Run back outside before the door closes and chill right here for a while. I guess the real way of defeating it is to stab and quicksave repeatedly, which is not fun.
Spoiler:
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i dunno, i never quicksaved the whole game and i didn't have a problem beating it. granted, i played on difficulty 2, not 3. it seems like some people play on skill 3 and expect it to be like HMP, while it's more like UV instead.
I played through the game on skill 3 and really only got frustrated with saves during the fight with the skull mask guy and on the last level, so I don't see a problem with no quicksaves either.
I'm honestly kind of curious how you managed to get so many enemies on the screen at once; I never got more than six of those guys alive at any one time.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”