Pop culture references in games: Fun or Cliché?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
NantoCodd

Re: Pop culture references in games: Fun or Cliché?

Post by NantoCodd »

Bad example : Gameloft's 9mm (Max Payne clone) has a urinal you can approach and make your character gone to cutscene and said something like "Doing it like the king, hail to the king baby".
I cringed.
kodi

Post by kodi »

wildweasel wrote: There's a more subtle one in the original System Shock, too: when Rebecca Lansing sends you your first email message, she addresses you as "Employee 2-4601." 24601 was Jean Valjean's prisoner number in Les Miserables.
That's neat! The only digit sequence references I ever catch really are "THX 1138"(george lucas film) and "27b/6"(from Brazil) which both pop up occasionally.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

and any 80s games that try hard with HUR DURR ROLL THE TAPE'S!!!!! RADICEL!!!! OH FUCK!!! FUCKFUCKFCUKFCUK IM EDGY!!! ALSO MEME'S!!! IN THE 80S!!! will be stuck dated to the early 2010s anyway.

"but vice city" no, vice city is set in the 80's, it's not a game pretending to be made from then. Period pieces are different.

OA3 is being developed with '2000 in mind' as in technical and model styling (target system is a 6th gen P2/K6+Voodoo machine), not as in references. No stupid budweiser, *NSYNC, The Matrix* and Bahamen references will ever occur.

* though i might get the ingame main menu to go third person with a spinning camera orbit
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

leileilol wrote: * though i might get the ingame main menu to go third person with a spinning camera orbit
"Instead of making a proper main menu, just use static model with looped idle animation with camera spin it right round! That looks badass and we can take a break!!!11"

Return to “Off-Topic”