Wishlist?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
User avatar
cccp_leha
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:21 am
Location: NJ, USA

Post by cccp_leha »

*sob* I want this community never to fall apart and/or drift away from ZDoom... and all the other stuff you guys said.
User avatar
sirjuddington
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:47 am
Location: Australia

Post by sirjuddington »

Heh, Death Mage, have you even bothered to try the latest version of ZDoomGL? It doesn't have md2s or lens flares or lighting yet, but it does retain 99% of ZDoom's functionality. And I have to agree, the md2 models are ugly, but most people seem to like them.

Those screenshots at the site are old anyway, I really need to update that site :P
User avatar
Lexus Alyus
Posts: 4220
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:07 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Blood, I want differant coloured blood! :-D

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Mmm, I must disagree with the wolf3d and blood support, purely because Zdoom is a Doom engine port. I would love to see Strife support but Randy has nothing to work with. The build engine is interesting and would make editing a lot easier, but it's still not Doom. I think the things that Randy has added from the build engine is cool, and if he could have build support (which, if I remenber rightly he already has) then that would be cool, but have zdoom support almost every game out there is silly.

ZdoomGL is kinda the same as Zdoom, only it has all those 3D effects, so I think Randy shouldn't worry about all those 3D effects as it would be a lot more to think about. It's good that some one else has decided to add all of these GL effects (the Zdoomgl team). After all, Randy is the only one working on Zdoom... and he's doing a mighty fine job :-).

But, I would like to see non-GL lighting. Real light sources that don't require GL cards and the like. Why must you have a 3d card to have colourd light sources and stuff (quake2)? I don't get that...

The only other things I'd like to see are full manipulation of all the heretic and hexen things via dehacked (which probobly would be possible in Doomscript...), and footstep sounds! :-D. I'd also like to see the lava terrain act like it does in Hexen and Heretic.

Other small things I'd like to see are transparent floors, maybe done with the help of how Zdoom handles swimable water. Also, floors that don't render the cyan colour (similar way to the transparent water thing) so you could have grates that you can see through on the floor (Obveously you would have to have something underneath them...).

One last thing is the colour of blood. I'm not saying that randy does all the graphix, I'd just like to beable to assign Cacos with blue blood and Barons with Green blood, and maybe add the ability to add any colour blood to any other monster, or a global blood change of your own specific colour :-). Sorry, that ones a bit picky :-D.

:twisted:

PS: Maybe you could add md2 support just for some things, like 3D pickups and decorations (like cars and space ships and stuff, just like Dark Forces :-) ).
User avatar
arcticwolf
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:52 am
Location: The world

Re: Blood, I want differant coloured blood! :-D

Post by arcticwolf »

Lexus Alyus wrote:Mmm, I must disagree with the wolf3d and blood support, purely because Zdoom is a Doom engine port. I would love to see Strife support but Randy has nothing to work with. The build engine is interesting and would make editing a lot easier, but it's still not Doom. I think the things that Randy has added from the build engine is cool, and if he could have build support (which, if I remenber rightly he already has) then that would be cool, but have zdoom support almost every game out there is silly.

ZdoomGL is kinda the same as Zdoom, only it has all those 3D effects, so I think Randy shouldn't worry about all those 3D effects as it would be a lot more to think about. It's good that some one else has decided to add all of these GL effects (the Zdoomgl team). After all, Randy is the only one working on Zdoom... and he's doing a mighty fine job :-).

But, I would like to see non-GL lighting. Real light sources that don't require GL cards and the like. Why must you have a 3d card to have colourd light sources and stuff (quake2)? I don't get that...

The only other things I'd like to see are full manipulation of all the heretic and hexen things via dehacked (which probobly would be possible in Doomscript...), and footstep sounds! :-D. I'd also like to see the lava terrain act like it does in Hexen and Heretic.

Other small things I'd like to see are transparent floors, maybe done with the help of how Zdoom handles swimable water. Also, floors that don't render the cyan colour (similar way to the transparent water thing) so you could have grates that you can see through on the floor (Obveously you would have to have something underneath them...).

One last thing is the colour of blood. I'm not saying that randy does all the graphix, I'd just like to beable to assign Cacos with blue blood and Barons with Green blood, and maybe add the ability to add any colour blood to any other monster, or a global blood change of your own specific colour :-). Sorry, that ones a bit picky :-D.

:twisted:

PS: Maybe you could add md2 support just for some things, like 3D pickups and decorations (like cars and space ships and stuff, just like Dark Forces :-) ).
True, Randy is the only one working on ZDoom, but that's more or less his own choice (or fault, depening on how you look at it) - development is not public, outside of a new release every now and then, so it's more or less impossible to get involved with development.

Outside of that... I can live without build/wolf3d/... support just fine myself; I don't think that "ZDoom is a doom port" is a valid argument for not having these (since that's just what's to be changed by adding support for these engines), but it's not really a priority item of any kind for me personally - more something of a "if there's nothing else left we can think of" thing.

ZDoomGL and Skulltag may offer features that vanilla ZDoom doesn't have, but as was already said, that's not a reason for ZDoom not having them. If anything, it probably means that the developers of ZDoom, ZDoomGL and Skulltag should get together and recombine their efforts into a single, highly-advanced port.

As far as non-OpenGL lighting is concerned, I don't think that's necessary. You don't *have* to have a 3D card for OpenGL, after all; software renderers are available, and OpenGL, in the end, is nothing but a nice standard and API for 3D stuff.

The rest of your items (full He(retic|xen) access via dehacked, footstep sounds, transparent / tinted floors and custom blood colours) sound great to me. :)
User avatar
Hirogen2
Posts: 2033
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:15 am
Operating System Version (Optional): Tumbleweed x64
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Central Germany

Re: Wishlist?

Post by Hirogen2 »

arcticwolf wrote:* OpenGL support (including hardware rendering)
* 24- or 32-bit colour
Uh well opengl, see zdoomgl. But BTW, I would like to see ZDoom and its GL counterpart to merge someday (so you say have just to zdoom -gl -file blah.wad)

But I'd really like to see 16/24-bit textures in _normal_ ZDoom, so this ugly palette can cope with TCs better.
User avatar
MLdB
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:14 am
Location: The Netherlands

Post by MLdB »

- 3d floors :) i think it is possible because zdoom already has mirror shit and camera's (i mean 3d floors like those in Shadow Warrior... hmmm is that the title... well, anyway, the chop suey 3d realms Build game that came after Duke3D)

randy?
User avatar
arioch
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:27 pm

Post by arioch »

If ZDoom and ZDoomGL do merge someday I would hope that we wouldn't have to deal with excessive inane parameters like "-gl".

ZDoomGL already provides a video setting cvar to toggle software/hardware rendering that is saved across different instances of ZDoomGL. Why change this?
User avatar
Death Mage
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:16 am

Post by Death Mage »

I'll have to check out ZDooMGL.. but I do want better models dangit! ;) As long as they're keeping current, then it'd be cool.

I totally aggree with the color of blood thing. Since you can already change the colors of items, I think ti would be perfect to be able to tell what color the blood should be depending on the creatures! (For real fun, let the player set up their own blood colors as well in multi-player.)

And like it's been said here, it would be nice of ZDooM itself supported various features w/o having to use the GL port. We don't need bad 3D creatures just to get those (in some people's minds lame) lens flare effects. And certainly not for colored light sources, or more colors.

And yes, the Build engine game with 3D floors was Shadow Warrior. But it took some modifications to the Build engine to get it to work right, and I'm not sure if the Shadow Warrior source was ever released (I know that Build's and Duke Nukem 3D's were.. and I know that Blood's was NOT.)

Although.. one thing I'd kinda like is to have the various fireballs a little more transparent. I know that msot of them already are a little transparent, as are the Lost Souls.. but they could use a touch more. Or am I missing a setting somewhere that makes 'em more transparent? (Would be nice to have a slider for it..)
User avatar
Hirogen2
Posts: 2033
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:15 am
Operating System Version (Optional): Tumbleweed x64
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Central Germany

Post by Hirogen2 »

arioch wrote:If ZDoom and ZDoomGL do merge someday I would hope that we wouldn't have to deal with excessive inane parameters like "-gl".

ZDoomGL already provides a video setting cvar to toggle software/hardware rendering that is saved across different instances of ZDoomGL. Why change this?
Nice one too, did not that one existed. However, there is probably one more 1337 way to do it, just check argv[0] for "zdoom" or "zdoomgl"...
User avatar
arcticwolf
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:52 am
Location: The world

Post by arcticwolf »

Hirogen2 wrote:
arioch wrote:If ZDoom and ZDoomGL do merge someday I would hope that we wouldn't have to deal with excessive inane parameters like "-gl".

ZDoomGL already provides a video setting cvar to toggle software/hardware rendering that is saved across different instances of ZDoomGL. Why change this?
Nice one too, did not that one existed. However, there is probably one more 1337 way to do it, just check argv[0] for "zdoom" or "zdoomgl"...
Unfortunately, that only works nicely on filesystems that support symlinks. fat definitely doesn't, and ntfs doesn't, either, as far as I know (feel free to correct me, though).
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
Posts: 7746
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:30 pm

Post by randi »

NTFS does support links, but you have to write a program to create them yourself.
User avatar
Bio Hazard
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:15 pm
Location: ferret ~/C/ZDL $

Post by Bio Hazard »

things i wish ZDoom Supported:

DDF DANGIT!!!
i know it can be done with doomscript but in all my time of being here i know one thing:

DOOMSCRIPT WILL NEVER EXIST

i want to play Immoral Conduct NOW!!!

all i want is DDF too (GL would be nice tho...)
i dont care about engines for games ive never played... (or heard of)
i dont care about C/S

DDF!

peace out

</rant>
User avatar
Hirogen2
Posts: 2033
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:15 am
Operating System Version (Optional): Tumbleweed x64
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Central Germany

Post by Hirogen2 »

Just copy zdoom.exe to zdoomgl.exe if your neato FS doesnot support it :) blame Microsoft. And, 1.6MB, what's that, it ain't that much... I think you got enough disk space.
User avatar
arcticwolf
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:52 am
Location: The world

Post by arcticwolf »

Bio Hazard wrote:things i wish ZDoom Supported:

DDF DANGIT!!!
i know it can be done with doomscript but in all my time of being here i know one thing:

DOOMSCRIPT WILL NEVER EXIST

i want to play Immoral Conduct NOW!!!

all i want is DDF too (GL would be nice tho...)
i dont care about engines for games ive never played... (or heard of)
i dont care about C/S

DDF!

peace out

</rant>
OK, I have to ask. What is DDF?
User avatar
arcticwolf
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:52 am
Location: The world

Post by arcticwolf »

Hirogen2 wrote:Just copy zdoom.exe to zdoomgl.exe if your neato FS doesnot support it :) blame Microsoft. And, 1.6MB, what's that, it ain't that much... I think you got enough disk space.
True... but that's just *wrong*. :)

Return to “General”