Charging money for mods was almost a thing!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
User avatar
amv2k9
Posts: 2178
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:05 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by amv2k9 »

Wonder how long Nexus will stay open? Eventually, Bethesda's just going to see it as leaving money on the table to have a free alternative to paid mods through Steam Workshop. And if Valve really *is* going to take a laissez-faire attitude to people finding free mods, slapping their name on it and selling it... Holy shit, you wanna talk about fracturing communities; people are going to get hostile real fast when they see their free work on Steam for ten bucks a pop.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
scalliano
Posts: 2841
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by scalliano »

I know it sounds like a Doomsday prophecy, but this move really does have the potential to kill off mods altogether. Or maybe that's Valve's long-term strategy, making a few easy quid in the process.
User avatar
Nash
 
 
Posts: 17322
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Nash »

scalliano wrote:I know it sounds like a Doomsday prophecy, but this move really does have the potential to kill off mods altogether. Or maybe that's Valve's long-term strategy, making a few easy quid in the process.
Not to sound all tinfoil hat-ey but wasn't there some commotion a while back about how some devs are purposely making their games unmoddable? Games like GTA 5 for example.
User avatar
scalliano
Posts: 2841
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by scalliano »

Yes. And they failed as it turned out.

In GTA's case, I can understand R*'s position, given their big push for GTA Online. Modders could have the whole ingame infrastructure vaporized within days. Personally, I'd love for V to have as big a modding scene as IV does, but it will require some careful treading.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21506
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by wildweasel »

If you ask me, this whole thing opened up a lot of cans of worms that really should never have been touched. I doubt anybody is going to make significant bank from it without gouging people.
User avatar
Nash
 
 
Posts: 17322
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Nash »

Going to divert the topic for a second but wow that is actually pretty clever. So the snow stuff is basically just shaders and fiddling around with the environment rendering settings like fog etc... so they didn't actually have to create any snow-related assets like snow-covered texture variations... that's neat. :D
User avatar
BouncyTEM
Posts: 3817
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:42 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by BouncyTEM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comm ... _from_the/

One of the mod authors who put up a paid mod <and had theirs taken away> speaking up about their experience.

Worth checking.
User avatar
Nash
 
 
Posts: 17322
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Nash »

I have been seeing threads where people are saying their externally-installed mods are getting disabled lately and claiming it's an implementation to shoehorn the Workshop into everyone... I'm going to have to try it soon hmm...
User avatar
Reactor
Posts: 2091
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm
Location: Island's Beauty, Hungary

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Reactor »

I hope the creator of Grezzo didn't read this...imagine him times a thousand!
User avatar
Big C
Posts: 2839
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Big C »

Here's hoping the Workshop section of Valve's own games (CS: GO and TF2, for example) gets Valve's attention, too. Valve might be able to ignore the Bethesda fans rioting, but that's only part of where their money comes from.
User avatar
JimmyJ
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by JimmyJ »

Valve has disabled commenting on for-pay mods now. Because the ONLY way to know if any of this stuff is worthwhile before buying is the feedback, so now we have NOTHING. Just take this shit down if you're going to make it so vile.
User avatar
Xtyfe
Posts: 1470
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:29 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Xtyfe »

You know what? I thought about this today and I think I'm going to change my stance on this slightly.

I kind of support it... Hear me out :p. If this has the potential of destroying the gaming industry and forcing a reboot than this is a great thing. The fact this is happening at all is because everyone has left this corpse keep on walking long after it really died. It needs to end now with this bullet to the head that it has long needed.
User avatar
Big C
Posts: 2839
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Big C »

Xtyfe wrote:You know what? I thought about this today and I think I'm going to change my stance on this slightly.

I kind of support it... Hear me out :p. If this has the potential of destroying the gaming industry and forcing a reboot than this is a great thing. The fact this is happening at all is because everyone has left this corpse keep on walking long after it really died. It needs to end now with this bullet to the head that it has long needed.
Only if GOG gets to survive. They're my last bastion at this point.
User avatar
Snarboo
Posts: 2598
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:37 am

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Snarboo »

Nash wrote:I have been seeing threads where people are saying their externally-installed mods are getting disabled lately and claiming it's an implementation to shoehorn the Workshop into everyone... I'm going to have to try it soon hmm...
DRM is the only way they could feasibly enforce paid mods, so I wouldn't be surprised. That said, has it be confirmed?
User avatar
Arctangent
Posts: 1235
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Re: Charging money for mods is now a thing.

Post by Arctangent »

JimmyJ wrote:Valve has disabled commenting on for-pay mods now. Because the ONLY way to know if any of this stuff is worthwhile before buying is the feedback, so now we have NOTHING. Just take this shit down if you're going to make it so vile.
Actually, there was a completely understandable reason for this: Look at any other workshop page with popularity. Notice how 99% of it is copy-pasted thumbs-ups? These were 99% copy-pasted middle fingers instead. So, due to Steam users, nothing was actually lost because the comments were completely useless anyway.

Return to “Off-Topic”