Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby edward850 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Always research your chosen engines first. Research is basically step one of any development document.
User avatar
edward850
[netcode intensifies]
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Location: New Zealand

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby jazzmaster9 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:16 pm

edward850 wrote:Always research your chosen engines first. Research is basically step one of any development document.


Well I had a lot of successes with GM 8 in the past, but I guess time has caught up to me.
"everything changed when the windows 8 attacked".
User avatar
jazzmaster9
J̶̛͉̹͇̋U̶̥̩̞͋Ṣ̵̨̛͋T̶̩͉̈̈́͘ ̷͔̹̖̊̽M̷̥̞̓͘͘O̸̯̠̽́N̶̫̠̂͗Ḯ̶̜̃̇Ḳ̶͓̻̊̅̄A̵͖̘͒
 
Joined: 19 Apr 2012

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby edward850 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Uhm... Windows 8 is the natural progression of time. DirectX 8 is about 15 years old. The fact that people apparently use GameMaker without noticing this raises some interesting questions. Doesn't Spelunky use GM, or is that a different engine?
User avatar
edward850
[netcode intensifies]
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Location: New Zealand

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby jazzmaster9 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 pm

edward850 wrote:Uhm... Windows 8 is the natural progression of time. DirectX 8 is about 15 years old. The fact that people apparently use GameMaker without noticing this raises some interesting questions. Doesn't Spelunky use GM, or is that a different engine?


Spelunky, indeed uses Game Maker.
User avatar
jazzmaster9
J̶̛͉̹͇̋U̶̥̩̞͋Ṣ̵̨̛͋T̶̩͉̈̈́͘ ̷͔̹̖̊̽M̷̥̞̓͘͘O̸̯̠̽́N̶̫̠̂͗Ḯ̶̜̃̇Ḳ̶͓̻̊̅̄A̵͖̘͒
 
Joined: 19 Apr 2012

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby edward850 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Then how is that not using DX8? Specifically, it runs off 9.0c.
User avatar
edward850
[netcode intensifies]
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Location: New Zealand

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby wildweasel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:33 pm

edward850 wrote:Then how is that not using DX8? Specifically, it runs off 9.0c.

Except I seem to recall it does? The one time I tried running it on an underpowered laptop (600 MHz Pentium 3 running Windows XP on 256 MB RAM), it complained that it couldn't create a D3D 8 drawing surface.
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby edward850 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:37 pm

The store page says 9.0c, but from reading the community hub it looks like that was due to an update (DX8 certainly doesn't have Xinput support, after all). So I'm not actually even remotely sure what it's actually doing anymore.

One would hope it's not mixing APIs.
User avatar
edward850
[netcode intensifies]
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Location: New Zealand

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby ibm5155 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:05 am

You could actually use Doom engine (ie gzdoom/zandronum) to make a game like that.
I already did an experimental 2D project, I first did the demo game using SDL, and it was a pain in the ass.
What I did on SDL for about 2 full days (48hours programming) I just too hmm 4 hours in Doom '-'...

Idk how about selling stuff using id tech 1 engine, but using some special version of gzdoom where you doesn't have the software render and fmod would be a good start....

Or go to unity, it's free, and there's a really good multiplatform support.
User avatar
ibm5155
Just Spooky
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Re: Operation: Tank Command [My Indie Game]

Postby jazzmaster9 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 pm

ibm5155 wrote:Idk how about selling stuff using id tech 1 engine, but using some special version of gzdoom where you doesn't have the software render and fmod would be a good start....

Or go to unity, it's free, and there's a really good multiplatform support.


I might not really jumping into commercial games just yet. :) But I will take a look at using ZDoom.

As for unity, i need to get more experience with JavaScript. I only know basic C++ and now learning advanced stuff (and failing at it miserably) so it's gonna be a long while before I jump to other engines.
User avatar
jazzmaster9
J̶̛͉̹͇̋U̶̥̩̞͋Ṣ̵̨̛͋T̶̩͉̈̈́͘ ̷͔̹̖̊̽M̷̥̞̓͘͘O̸̯̠̽́N̶̫̠̂͗Ḯ̶̜̃̇Ḳ̶͓̻̊̅̄A̵͖̘͒
 
Joined: 19 Apr 2012

Previous

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest