[Done] 64-bit Fluidsynth?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

64-bit Fluidsynth?

Postby Major Cooke » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:06 pm

The only version hosted on the wiki is the 32-bit version. Would it be possible to supply a 64-bit version?
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team

Re: 64-bit Fluidsynth?

Postby randi » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:55 pm

Don't know if I want to go through all the pain of recompiling all its dependencies for 64-bit Windows when I don't remember specifically what they were.
randi
Site Admin

Postby NeuralStunner » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:48 pm

Personally I'd recommend switching to the BASSMIDI driver. It's got great sound and I think performs better than Fluidsynth. You also then wouldn't have to worry about an extra library for 64-bit ZDoom builds.
NeuralStunner
An Exercise in Self-Indulgence

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby BlueInferno » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:35 pm

Bassmidi plays just about every soundfont flawlessly vs fluidsynth screwing up some soundfonts I used. CT8MGM.SF2 along with others dont run at all on it.
BlueInferno

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 am

NeuralStunner wrote:Personally I'd recommend switching to the BASSMIDI driver. It's got great sound and I think performs better than Fluidsynth. You also then wouldn't have to worry about an extra library for 64-bit ZDoom builds.

But then you'd have to worry about a SYSTEM DRIVER!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Edward-san » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:48 am

BASSMIDI

No linux or mac? Your argument is invalid.
Edward-san
Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe. (Galilei)

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:11 am

Graf Zahl wrote:But then you'd have to worry about a SYSTEM DRIVER!
One that's stable and works in any other MIDI-capable program, yes. I don't see the problem.
NeuralStunner

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:55 am

Of course you wouldn't. I prefer solutions that don't include system features that may become broken in the future. The MIDI stuff already fell victim to this once.
Graf Zahl

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:00 am

How's it any different from using any other system synth? But that's fine. I was just giving Major Cooke a tip to begin with.

Edward-san wrote:No linux or mac? Your argument is invalid.
I don't think he uses either of those. Regardless, a win32 fluidsynth.dll is going to be just as worthless on those systems.
NeuralStunner

Postby _mental_ » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:42 am

NeuralStunner wrote:
Edward-san wrote:No linux or mac? Your argument is invalid.
I don't think he uses either of those. Regardless, a win32 fluidsynth.dll is going to be just as worthless on those systems.

It's quite easy to build Fluidsynth on Linux, and with some minor difficulties on Mac. Only Windows version requires very complicated setup to do so.
_mental_

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Wondering if there's a universal one where any of the three versions can just produce a re-usable dll by windows, mac or linux. If so, perhaps, in that case mental, you could provide?
Major Cooke
QZDoom Maintenance Team

Postby randi » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:28 pm

No, Windows uses PE, Mac uses Mach-O, and Linux uses ELF. They're not compatible with each other. And even if they were, the dependencies of the dll/dynlib/so would be different on the different systems.
randi
Site Admin

Postby VGA » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:18 pm

I use Coolsoft Virtualsynth :-D

Although there is a little lag when a song is starting because it's preloading the 64mb soundfont I use I think.
VGA

Postby randi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Guess what! I built a 64-bit Fluidsynth DLL. Unfortunately, all it produced for sound was a loud high-pitched buzzing that drowned out all other sounds. (Maybe the scaling is way off?) No idea what I did wrong. Maybe I'll try again later.

Oh, and for posterity: The dependencies I needed were win-iconv, libintl, and glib.
randi
Site Admin

Postby randi » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:01 pm

Here: FluidSynth in 64-bit glory

Compiled with the default VS2013 toolchain, so it only works on Vista and up. Turns out I should have paid attention to the warnings instead of assuming they were benign (since the majority were about ptrdiff_t -> int truncation). It wasn't using config.h, so <math.h> was not getting included, which meant all the fp math routines were using the default prototypes that returned ints. Disaster ensued.

Building in 64-bit also revealed a minor problem I had with the original 32-bit build, so I redid that. Anybody using it might want to redownload it.

An interesting project to try sometime might be to "fix" it so it can use native Windows API calls instead of glib so that it can be built more easily for Windows systems.
randi
Site Admin

Next

Return to Closed Feature Suggestions