[Feature Request] False Floor/Ceiling Teleport

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

[Feature Request] False Floor/Ceiling Teleport

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:58 pm

This idea is quite similar to using invisible fake floors/ceilings with an action special to execute a special when the eyes go below the fake floor. However, such a thing is limited when it comes to stacked sectors. My idea would allow the player (or another object) to fall through the actual sector floor, and to be teleported elsewhere once the view point is below the floor height (ditto for the ceiling). This way, you could easilly make a stack sector area where the player could move freely between the two sectors by simply giving it a teleport special, or an ACS_Execute special that calls a teleport. With that, you don't have to muck around with fake floors and ceilings and getting the height "just right", and even then, certain constructions won't work (see image).
Chris

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Agent ME » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:02 pm

So you mean the upper stack sector floor wouldn't block the player, and he'd be teleported to the lower sector when his eyes pass the "divider"? That's exactly what I wanted too (but I just forgot to ask for it... I have like a million feature requests in this "brain," but I forget them within 10 minutes).
Agent ME
Title Not Found

Discord: Macil#5633
Twitch ID: macil_tech
Github ID: Macil

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:19 pm

So you mean the upper stack sector floor wouldn't block the player, and he'd be teleported to the lower sector when his eyes pass the "divider"?

Exactly. I'd actually like true object displacement as well (so that if your feet are below the floor, your feet would be hanging from the other ceiling, even if the rest of you was still in the upper area), but as I understand, that's something that was brought up before with fake floor teleports and not easilly done.
Chris

Postby Agent ME » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:25 pm

Well, that was done with Transfer_Heights, wasn't it?
Agent ME
Title Not Found

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:55 pm

Transfer_Heights with a "eyes go below fake floor" object that calls a teleport special, yeah. I suppose it might be easier with false floors, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

I would like to append my request though. Instead of leaving the mapper to teleport the object/player, the engine could do that implicitly (avoiding the possibility of errors with the object not teleporting) but also execute a special when the teleport occurs.
Chris

Postby Agent ME » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:43 pm

There's a problem with the method of using Tranfer_Height's eyes below/above floor to teleport the player. In the stacked sectors, looking down from the upper area, you won't see any items/players/enemies/projectiles that are down there, and vice versa.
Agent ME
Title Not Found

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:32 pm

In the stacked sectors, looking down from the upper area, you won't see any items/players/enemies/projectiles that are down there, and vice versa.

:?: I know there was a bug when stacked sectors first came out about monsters in the other sector stack would show through the floor/ceiling texture.. it was quickly fixed. Are you saying it was fixed by no longer drawing objects on the other side?
Chris

Postby Agent ME » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:45 pm

No, it's a side-effect of using Transfer_heights to teleport the player from the top/bottom sector to the bottom/top sector. It's unfixable (without ugly hacks that would break compatibility with hundreds of wads) except for switching to a new way, like the one you want.
Agent ME
Title Not Found

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:48 pm

Oh, ok. I've never used Transfer_Height teleports, so I wouldn't know it had that problem.
Chris

Postby Agent ME » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:54 pm

Basically, the problem is to hard to describe in words in a basic way. :lol:
Agent ME
Title Not Found

Postby Tormentor667 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:56 am

Well, yeah, I second that :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Nmn » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:58 am

That screenshot needs more detail :shucks:
Nmn

Postby Chris » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:04 pm

:P I had just started it that day, and had been working on getting the player to fall down seemlessly through the stack. Cut me some slack. </bad rhyme>
Chris

Return to General