Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
saegiru

Re: BD Johnny Version - It's comfy and easy to wear

Post by saegiru »

-Ghost- wrote:Nice, that HUD mod is really cool. I remember trying it out a month or two ago and really enjoying it. If you don't mind some feedback here, I've never really liked the armor voice used. I think it'd be a better fit having the HEV voice or something, since it has some pretty general vocal audio for damage as well. It can be annoying especially with the low ammo notifier if you're switching between guns quickly.

I think I noticed too while shooting a shotgun zombie that his name in the HP bar was temp or something. I really like the names you've added for the zombies though, that's a nice touch.
Yeah, I've had that suggestion before... I have a friend that has a friend that did the voices for me... but I think someone made a HL Vox add in for it at some point... I'll see about adding an option to toggle between the two before the official release.

The "Temp XXX" in the bar is actually by design. That is how I am handling the head targeting. It is supposed to be the "Temperature" reading of the head of the monster. That way you know when you are aiming at the head. It fluctuates between 150-175 "degrees" because they are hellspawn and supposed to be hot... lol :D The reason I handled it like that is because of the way head targeting is done in Brutal Doom... the head target is constantly spawning anew, so it's a different actor every tic... the downside is that there is no way to store a static name like the body itself... so I could have it say just "Head", and it would work... but I figured having it say "Temp. XXX", and fluctuate gives it a more organic feel and seems more immersive. Since the actor is constantly spawning a new one, you get a random number in there every tic... so it looks like you are getting a fluctuating temperature reading. I hope that makes sense... it does to me :D
Devianteist wrote:The HUD is extremely impressive, and Johnny is going to probably be very excited. I know I was! Might I ask, what screen resolution(s) was the HUD made for, as I generally don't play in higher resolutions, for the sake of performance.
I hope he is... I really like his version. It is more grounded and I don't know... "meaty" than some others I play. I feel like it's a more visceral experience so far. As far as the resolution for the HUD, I designed it in 1920x1080, and have tested it up to 1920x1200... but I have tested it successfully down to the lower resolutions... It looks like ass in the really really low resolutions, like under 600 though... and that is a tradeoff I had to make for the higher quality images and scaling. I did make a lower res version of the graphics though, and it's available for download from the moddb page I added it to the test zip file, if you want to redownload: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0pmrg ... AR-2015.7z

It -should- still work with the test version, and helps with performance at a very slight cost of visual splendor. :D
Last edited by saegiru on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

I'll be sure to report back if the LowRes version runs into any issues (this is DOOM, man, I'm not here for the graphics).
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Aww no way, my wish came true haha. UDV for BDJ! Love it :D

/edit

Also! I think I have a bug(?) to report?

Was playing an oblige level, saw a captured marine, so I sprinted to him and punched... and got a critical hit which made him explode. 0_o
droscoe

Post by droscoe »

Hello,

Great job!

I thought I'd leave some feedback. Please know, that I'm not exactly sure if its your design or Sgt's design.

Armor Powerups;
1.While they're 3D, they do have a pixelated look.
2.Some armor pieces are facing the wall instead of the face side facing outward. maybe just a placement issue. If this makes sense.

Did you lower the damage of weapons? Monsters seem to need more bullets to take them down.

Good work, looks great! Take care
Roscoe
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

I noticed when something spawns, it leaves behind a rune or pentagram or something on the ground and acts like a damaging floor when touched. Interesting touch, however the same goes if a player teleports himself, making all teleporters a minor trap, or death is you have like 1 HP left. Dunno if this was mentioned already, I tried searching for it but nothing.

Also, sometimes fatalities bug out and I'm stuck in third person and can't move.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Xanirus wrote:Also, sometimes fatalities bug out and I'm stuck in third person and can't move.
I had glitches like that too, I found a workaround at least is to use the dodge rolls.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

Max Dickings wrote:
Xanirus wrote:Also, sometimes fatalities bug out and I'm stuck in third person and can't move.
I had glitches like that too, I found a workaround at least is to use the dodge rolls.
Where are you seeing dodge rolls in the controls? Aren't they removed, since they always had a chance to crash the game in previous versions?

Also...all Yes/No prompts in the menus are switched. No = Yes, and Yes = No.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Johnny swapped the Yes/No prompts on purpose.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

... oh my bad, you're totally right. I was thinking of regular Brutal 20 feb 10 :oops:
johnny

Post by johnny »

Patriot - I feel your pain, I play on 40% more often than I do 60% now, and I still manage to die fairly frequently. However, at 40% a lotttt lot lot of projectiles/bullets only do 1% damage, so any lower would basically be invincibility. At 25% most attacks do nothing. I thought about adding the baby/easy/normal difficulties back in, but it's really kind of pointless. 80%+ of wads don't even have separate difficulties taken into account--they make a map, and make all difficulties have the same amount of enemies as ultra violence. So most wads you play will be exactly the same on all skill levels besides I'm too young to die, which is 50% damage and double ammo. I basically don't play doom without cheating at least a little bit anymore, cause dying sucks. I have keys bound to god, noclip, resurrect, spawn backpack, tons of things. Buddha mode might be of interest to you, it feels a lot less "cheaty" than god mode.

Devianteist - D3SOUNDS.pk3 is ready to go. Also, in regards to the sprites, I have some good news about that, see below!

Silvershield - Yeah, I guess I could. It'll be a mutator and a cheat only weapon though.

saegiru - HOLY SHIT that hud is FAN FUCKING TASTIC. Wow dude that is just seriously impressive, I'm so pumped BDJ is compatible with it now!! As a thank you I'll definitely whip up an energy pistol replacement. Do you want it to reload or have an overheat function? Maybe an inverse plasma rifle sort of deal where there's no overheat state but it just fires painfully slow if you spam it too much and the heat gets too high? Let me know and I'll get to it. Regarding the ADS sprites, I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately they are as high up as they can get right now without having a big floating space beneath them, but I actually have some good news about that. Also I LOVE the random names for zombies, a la river city ransom/streets of rage/other beat em ups. That was originally my plan for the healthbars as well but I didn't know how I'd implement it. I think the temperature readings for the heads are a great idea too.

Max Dickings - Hahaha, oh man, I never really thought of that and it's never happened to me since criticals are fairly rare, but yeah that would explode the fuck out of him since it does 9999 damage. Fixed!

droscoe - Yeah, voxels are essentially legos so they're gonna look kinda pixelated. The orientation problems are inherent to the wads you play. Since all items are normally sprites, most mappers don't really bother with making them face the right way since sprites always face forward. I made sure the voxels are oriented the "right" way though, ie, if you make a map and place a green armor facing east, the voxel will be facing east. So it'll look right sometimes but will be wrong most of the time. I actually increased the damage of all weapons by a hell of a lot, and decreased a bunch of the enemies' health levels. You can take down any zombie, imp, or demon with a single shotgun blast, and a cacodemon will go down in less than one rifle clip. My main focus is badassery here.

Xanirus - That's weird, I've never noticed that before. I'll take it out for the next version cause that's kinda stupid. Fatalities, hmmmm... do you have the chasecam cheat enabled? Also the death camera enabled? I've never had them bug out before (besides clipping through walls), but I remember reading some brutal doom thread a long time ago that said having one or both of those disabled could break some shit. I dunno. Since Max mentioned that dodge rolls work as a workaround, try binding a key to activate/deactivate chasecam and see if that fixes it. It sounds like it might. Also yeah, the no/yes yes/no thing is just me being an asshole. LOL I'll change it back though.

OKAY SO, some good new things have been coming this way and I'm loving it. First of all, saegiru released UDVBDJ, and that is fucking awesome. Secondly, you know the rifle ADS sprites? Well the guy who made them, Edward Marlus, happened to stumble upon this thread, played the mod, and PMed me to say hi. Long story short, he wants to help out, so we've got a super legit spriter on board now. YES! This will take care of the almost-but-not-quite centered ADS sprites, and I won't have to bastardize the man's work by doing it myself. Also means general cleaning up of the other sprites, and possibly even some brand spankin' new ones. He showed me a separate rifle he has been working on and it was immediately apparent that this guy knows what's up. So that's fucking awesome too. After St. Patty's day tomorrow, I'm gonna spend the rest of the week in super productivity mode and knock out a bunch of these mutators. Devianteist and Ghost, a preliminary version of the doom 3 sounds pack is up if you want to check it out. I left the rifle and minigun sounds the same, do you want those changed? I was gonna make the rifle the machinegun sound but it's kinda weak sounding. Same goes for the chaingun.

ALSO, I think I'm going to make a little do-it-yourself grenades pack with everything you need to add BDJ grenades to other weapon mods, along with detailed directions on how to do it. It'll be pretty much plug and play and most of the heavy lifting will be done already, but it'll require just enough effort that it'll discourage people from badly implementing them and re-releasing other people's mods all over the place.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Ooooh, the fun that is going to be had with this update. And that DOOM 3 sound effects pack.

I will agree that the DOOM 3 rifle (actually an SMG) and Chaingun do sound pretty weak, so I'm not too concerned with that. Maybe you could make them as badass as you've made BD? Hell, I can't play the default BD anymore. Between what you've done, and you're overall good attitude (compared to what Sarge has done and his awful disposition), I'm enjoying this all the way!

I'm loving all the great news you've just got rolling in for yourself and your mod. Can't wait to see where this goes, and hopefully Sarge will take notes. Can't wait to see what you and your new associates are gonna make of this.

Also, the whole No/Yes thing has thrown me off more than once, and it is hilarious every time.

EDIT: Oh yeah, lovin' the DOOM 3 sounds pack you've thrown together. Some of it seems a little inconsistent, and some sounds seem a little quieter than others (even with Razer Surround Pro). I believe you called it a preliminary pack, so I'm more-or-less dismissive with the oddities since it's not finished. Keep it up Johnny.
Last edited by Devianteist on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

johnny wrote:ALSO, I think I'm going to make a little do-it-yourself grenades pack with everything you need to add BDJ grenades to other weapon mods, along with detailed directions on how to do it. It'll be pretty much plug and play and most of the heavy lifting will be done already, but it'll require just enough effort that it'll discourage people from badly implementing them and re-releasing other people's mods all over the place.
NOICE..! I'm looking forward to that DIY pack. :D :D :D

BDJ20 just keeps getting better! I hope the collaboration works out for you. I've been recommending your mod to people like crazy. :p
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I'm liking the Doom 3 sounds, I always thought they had a good "oomph" to them without being way too loud. I think the rocket launcher in particular sounds a lot better. Your current chaingun sound is pretty hard to top, have you thought about poking around a bit in Doom 3 mods? A lot of them have some beefier sounds for the pistol, MG and chaingun that work well. I'd recommend checking out the Beefy Soundpack (http://www.gamefront.com/files/3577511/ ... _Pack_v1_7) or maybe Perfected Doom 3 (http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500) for some good sound resources. The MG/Chaingun/pistol in particular from the Beefy pack sound great.

That's great that you've got a good sprite person now, think you'll be able to get some good Doom 3 weapons to go with the sounds? You could probably build off the Doom 2.5 ones everyone uses.
Xanirus

Post by Xanirus »

johnny wrote:
Xanirus - That's weird, I've never noticed that before. I'll take it out for the next version cause that's kinda stupid. Fatalities, hmmmm... do you have the chasecam cheat enabled? Also the death camera enabled? I've never had them bug out before (besides clipping through walls), but I remember reading some brutal doom thread a long time ago that said having one or both of those disabled could break some shit. I dunno. Since Max mentioned that dodge rolls work as a workaround, try binding a key to activate/deactivate chasecam and see if that fixes it. It sounds like it might. Also yeah, the no/yes yes/no thing is just me being an asshole. LOL I'll change it back though.
An update on that teleporter thing, it seems even just touching floors with that pentagram texture hurts you. I think. I can't remember the circumstances on this. However, it's a bit worse than I thought. The monsters seem to have ever lasting damaging effects with their teleporting, which might explain how some threads I think I read here said they were getting hit by seemingly nothing: the pentagram eventually disappears when a monster (or the player, or anything) teleports in, but the "spot" of the floor the pentagram was on is still changed to a floor that hurts indefinitely. If it helps, the damage is the "slowest" floor type, (1 HP every 3 secs or something) but oddly only takes away health, not armor.

As far as the fatalities, normally no, I don't have the chasecam on (once in a while I do to get a better view of things) and I'm assuming deathcam is enabled because I enter a third person view whenever I die. I can properly see both in their awesome glory, but I never had this problem in either Sgt. Mark's BD or even Sperglord's edition. However, I do remember Sperglord's edition will actually crash once in a while with a report and everything when I performed fatalities, but this was a very rare occurrence.

In your mod's case however, the trigger (performing a fatality) is the same but acts a little different. I can tell the bug might happen when I perform a fatality, and the game switches to chasecam for about half a second, (you can see Doomguy's back, as if you were playing in chasecam mode) the monster disappears, and then reappears when the whole fatality animation starts. If the bug triggers, the monster never reappears and I'm stuck looking at Doomguy's back, and unable to move, shoot, or anything. Meanwhile, I think Doomguy is walking in place. Disabling chasecam doesn't do anything, in fact it's not even considered on since it's supposed to be a temporary switch to show the animation. And as I had pointed out to Max in which he confirmed later, this version of your mod does not have dodgerolls, a feature I thought was removed since that itself would cause crashes in any version of BD as well. At least it did with both Sgt. Mark's and Sperglord's version. (This is the only version of your mod I have played though.)

- Also, is it me, or are the plasmagun sound effects pretty quiet compared to the rest of the guns?

EDIT: I'm beginning to think it's more than just from teleporting. I'm stepping on a lot of damaging floors where I know there wasn't any teleporting occuring. (Usually near or on bodies.)
Wivicer
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Wivicer »

That title screen alone deserves a cacoward.

This is so far my favorite version of brutal doom. You've done well, my friend.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”