[Wolf3D] "Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy" released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
doomjedi

Re: [Wolf3D] "Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy" released!

Post by doomjedi »

Doom Juan wrote:An ECWolf version of this is a MUST.
Sure can be nice (though who will make such? We are busy with other next mods), but why is it a MUST? In what way? Legacy is still SDL so it's cross-platform, no emulator needed.
You mean to make it more easily moddable as an engine? More configurable? More resolutions to support? What is the thing current Legacy version lacks the most in your opinion?
I wish more people on the Wolf3D Community took up ECWolf for all their future mods,

Well, sure can be a good thing. Though still it's closer to Doom modding style than Wolf3D one. Some wolfers will see it more like a Doom port of Wolf3D and so less...wolfish.
the whole community would be united under one single system that everyone knew and understood
That can be nice. Though Wolf4SDL (Legacy is based off) acts like such common base for modern Wolf3D modding. And it has tons of tutorials.
There is hardly any information of ECWolf on either Die Hard Wolfers or Wolf3D Haven
Beside Executor making mods, I think it's not that popular right now and people go with SDL. But I see bright future to it and alot of potential...though it's a slow process.
Can't wait for "Operation Serpent" to be released.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Wolf4SDL's resolution support and inability to disable the mouse making you move forward and backwards(the mecha parts were unbearable) make me like ECWolf much better. Though I will admit direct source code changes allow for more flexibility with mods, I think a unified engine is better. ECWolf needs improvement, but I think it may become the best Wolf3d Source port for modding.(And easiest)
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Why can't you disable mouse?
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

He wants to disable the mouse's vertical axis only, so you can turn but not move forward.

ECWolf is a long, long way away from emulating Eisenfaust: Legacy. I see no reason why it could not be possible one day (though the maps would need to be modified to use more textures, ACS scripting, etc. to imitate things like wall patches and things like the mecha suit), but certainly not now.

Really I think one of the things holding back ECWolf modding is that the workflow is unavoidably completely different from regular Wolf3D modding. The procedures are very different and the primary resource editor is SLADE3, a program that Doomers are familiar with but Wolfenstein modders are not. I hope Operation Serpent will draw more interest in ECWolf, but a watered-down, broken, utterly crippled port of Eisenfaust: Legacy would be a disservice to Team Raycast, ECWolf, whoever had the unenviable job of attempting to port it, and anyone who played it.
linuxwolf

Post by linuxwolf »

There was never a choice to use ECWolf in a mod like Legacy. Doing so would have required a lot of re-work and we already spent several years developing this mod by the time ECWolf came on the scene. Legacy is a highly customized engine starting with Wolf4SDL as a base and that customization work started over 4 years ago! If you consider the fact Legacy builds upon the engine used by Totenkopf SDL, that customization work started even earlier.

I would also like to emphasize that no-one will ever "churn out" a mod like Legacy, no matter which engine they are using. The engine is not everything in a mod. The music, art, maps and so forth, are all equally important. The main purpose of the engine is to get all of those elements working on the player's system, and the Wolf4SDL engine already achieves this quite well.
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

doomjedi wrote:
Doom Juan wrote:An ECWolf version of this is a MUST.
Sure can be nice (though who will make such? We are busy with other next mods), but why is it a MUST? In what way? Legacy is still SDL so it's cross-platform, no emulator needed.
You mean to make it more easily moddable as an engine? More configurable? More resolutions to support? What is the thing current Legacy version lacks the most in your opinion?
I wish more people on the Wolf3D Community took up ECWolf for all their future mods,

Well, sure can be a good thing. Though still it's closer to Doom modding style than Wolf3D one. Some wolfers will see it more like a Doom port of Wolf3D and so less...wolfish.
the whole community would be united under one single system that everyone knew and understood
That can be nice. Though Wolf4SDL (Legacy is based off) acts like such common base for modern Wolf3D modding. And it has tons of tutorials.
There is hardly any information of ECWolf on either Die Hard Wolfers or Wolf3D Haven
Beside Executor making mods, I think it's not that popular right now and people go with SDL. But I see bright future to it and alot of potential...though it's a slow process.
Can't wait for "Operation Serpent" to be released.
I have to say this... RELEASE SONDERKOMMANDO REVOLT!

I know you have it somewhere, no one would delete such awesomeness.

Whatever fears you previously held due to the ridiculous media hype (which was used purely as filler for want of better news), you now have nothing to fear now: in fact, you have only EVERYTHING to gain - you should now have the balls to release what appears to be the most relevant and important piece of work relating to the Wolf3D modding community... no mod on the doom community, despite it's size, has ever reached such heights... and people who have NEVER played a single Wolf3D mod in their lives will download it and play it, of that I can guarantee you.

And when you do release it, be sure to mention the media hype that was generated ;)

Come on, release Sonderkommando revolt already 8-)
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Keep in mind that Doomjedi lives in Israel. The power of groups like the Anti-Defamation League is like a fart in the wind compared to the nationalists in Israel.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Doom Juan wrote: I have to say this... RELEASE SONDERKOMMANDO REVOLT!
Oh, man, those requests just refuse to die, heh :)
No. Sorry.
I know you have it somewhere, no one would delete such awesomeness.
Yes I do have it, and I'm not the only one. But again - no. Hope just knowing it's safe comforts you enough.
As it was later remade and released publicly under different title - don't know why you sound so desperate to get your hands on it, unless you insist specifically on the original version, which I agree was better experience-wise. Youtube is full of videos of people playing it's remake and they seem to have alot of fun doing so even with the remake. There is time to let Sonder go. Let is rest.
you now have nothing to fear now
Well, no. As I gave recent interview about it to new independent gaming blog - I could see how that brings my heartbeat and old fears back again...no, I don't want to experience it again. Sorry. Not a wound I'd pick.
and people who have NEVER played a single Wolf3D mod in their lives will download it and play it, of that I can guarantee you.
It's remake was publicly released, and had over 1700 downloads (on moddb only, not to mention other links) and lots of youtube videos...not enough?
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Woolie Wool wrote:Keep in mind that Doomjedi lives in Israel. The power of groups like the Anti-Defamation League is like a fart in the wind compared to the nationalists in Israel.
Yep, indeed. But I don't fear anyone specifically...it's the whole bundle of media attention, in general.
Why would I fear nationalists? Mod was about killing nazis, not otherwise, not about killing jews.

I've released a "safe" remake publicly - this was the most I could do, and I feel I don't own much more to the modding community. It's my life, actual life, my decisions.

But we're really getting off-topic here. Want to talk Sonder - open another thread. This is all about Legacy.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Well the media managed to try to portray Return to Castle Wolfenstein as an "anti-Semitic" game for letting you play multiplayer on a sanitized "Axis" team with all Nazi symbols and references scrubbed out. I would imagine "OMG TEH CONCENTRATION CAMP GAEM" could inspire someone sufficiently nutty to break windows or write death threats.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Well...maybe. Who knows...
But I'm really over it...with so many projects in development I don't look back :)

Return to “Levels”