New Member Introductions

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Devianteist »

cambertian wrote:Hey everyone, new person here. New to the forums, new to modding, new to Doom, etc. Wildweasel might recognize me from another forum.

What draws me to Doom in the modern day, you may ask? Well, I think it's a lot of things, but the biggest is the warm sense of community. The game's great, but the mods are even more fantastic. You guys do amazing things - I'm incredibly jealous of all of your skills.

I hope I don't cramp this place's style somehow. I feel a little... "immature" compared to you guys. Though, I have seen parts of the community shamelessly partake in Chex Quest, so maybe I'll turn out just fine.
You'll fit right in around here, Cambertian. I hope you enjoy this community as much as we all do. Just keep in mind we're not all as mature as you think. :P
User avatar
Zanieon
Posts: 2059
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Somewhere in the future

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Zanieon »

Sure you welcome cambertian, and as Devianteist stated, sometimes happens little flames inside here that gets down fast due to we have a good moderator that is a talking Ketchup Bottle named Wildweasel fuck the logic
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21623
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by wildweasel »

I know, right? Who would have thought that Heinz 57 Varieties worked so well as a fire suppressant? =P
User avatar
Arthropleura
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:17 pm
Location: Fukuchiyama (Not)

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Arthropleura »

Varieties 3, 16, 21, and 42 are Monoammonium phosphate, Sodium bicarbonate, potassium acetate, and Halon Respectively. :p
Xaleros
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 11:30 am

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Xaleros »

Hey guys. I've played Doom for almost as long as I can remember. After gaining a lot of experience with mapping and coding in Unreal 1, I decided to try my hand at Doom mapping and I believe that was when I discovered ZDoom. This was maybe....5 or 6 years ago?

For reasons I can't think of, I never joined any Doom forum and mostly kept to myself. In that time I tinkered a lot with Doom Builder and took up C++. I'd like to say that I know my way around both fairly well now. Recently, after deciding that Unreal just wasn't the same anymore, I began playing Doom regularly again, but more so than I had before. I started on a set of maps recently (which I'll post once I have some actually playable stuff) and decided I should probably join a forum if I want to get it out there. Thus, here I am now.

Hope to post some cool stuff relatively soon :D
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Devianteist »

Xaleros wrote:Hey guys. I've played Doom for almost as long as I can remember. After gaining a lot of experience with mapping and coding in Unreal 1, I decided to try my hand at Doom mapping and I believe that was when I discovered ZDoom. This was maybe....5 or 6 years ago?

For reasons I can't think of, I never joined any Doom forum and mostly kept to myself. In that time I tinkered a lot with Doom Builder and took up C++. I'd like to say that I know my way around both fairly well now. Recently, after deciding that Unreal just wasn't the same anymore, I began playing Doom regularly again, but more so than I had before. I started on a set of maps recently (which I'll post once I have some actually playable stuff) and decided I should probably join a forum if I want to get it out there. Thus, here I am now.

Hope to post some cool stuff relatively soon :D
Hey, welcome to the forum! New mappers seem far and few between compared to all the phenomenal other mod makers. Be sure to check out GZDoom Builder, it's far superior to Doom Builder.
Xaleros
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 11:30 am

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Xaleros »

I was positive I wrote that detail in. I found out about GZDoom Builder when it was version 1.14 and have used it ever since.... Ever since I realized there were much newer SVN builds being uploaded :P
weylik
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 11:36 am

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by weylik »

Hey there! I've been playing DOOM for a good while now and have a copy for just about every console one way or another. I've really gotten into map making but currently they are abominations with METAL textures all over the place. I've come here to discover better methods of editing basic, vanilla levels for DOOM as well as looking for resources too learn things like ACS, DECORATE and even more advanced editing features. If anyone could point me to good places to learn these, that would be great :D

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute properly soon!
User avatar
Devianteist
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: Creating a SPACE HULK conversion!

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Devianteist »

weylik wrote:Hey there! I've been playing DOOM for a good while now and have a copy for just about every console one way or another. I've really gotten into map making but currently they are abominations with METAL textures all over the place. I've come here to discover better methods of editing basic, vanilla levels for DOOM as well as looking for resources too learn things like ACS, DECORATE and even more advanced editing features. If anyone could point me to good places to learn these, that would be great :D

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute properly soon!
The ZDoom Wiki and the Editing threads are just for you my friend!
User avatar
Dragon Mech
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun May 31, 2015 3:04 am
Location: Somewhere between the CPU and RAM bank #4

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by Dragon Mech »

Hello everyone!
my first DooM experience was when i was 11 or 12 and my older brother brought home a used copy of the SNES version of DooM(ok graphics, sloooow control response). back in 2010 a friend of mine told me about Skulltag. that's when i heard about ZDoom. but i didn't get ZDoom because i had skulltag. and after skulltag "died", i switched to Zandronum. and just yesterday i downloaded and tried zdoom.

i'm a video game and computer enthusiast (both retro and modern) as well as a novice weapons and monster modder/coder. most of what i mod is just for me and a friend of mine. and my sudo name is made from my love of Dragons and my great enjoyment of the game MechWarrior 3.
User avatar
jdredalert
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by jdredalert »

I think you'll feel as good as home here, friend. Welcome aboard. :)
User avatar
taufan99
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Indonesia

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by taufan99 »

Not really a new member, but....

Anybody remember me? Yeah, that under-aged shitposter with his (sorta) cringeworthy "taufan99 Mod" with a copy-paste level of originality.
And to all the new members here, I hope you get the biggest lesson from me; never try to shitpost or else Wildweasel will be a mean guy to you.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21623
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by wildweasel »

taufan99 wrote:never try to shitpost or else Wildweasel will be a mean guy to you.
It's for your own protection, pal. =P
User avatar
taufan99
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Indonesia

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by taufan99 »

wildweasel wrote:It's for your own protection, pal. =P
It's what most new members don't get, though. If a mod shows their fangs to the members for their own good, they often accuse him of "taking away their freedom by being a killjoy".
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21623
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: New Member Introductions

Post by wildweasel »

Sad, but true. I have lost count of the number of folks who tried to pull the "But my freedom of speech!" argument when I've issued them warnings.

Return to “Off-Topic”