ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend.

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Devianteist

Re: ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend

Post by Devianteist »

VGA wrote:Well I'm using ZDL because it works with all source ports and IWADs...
Tad rude, I think, plus, Bloodbat did say that this is designed for ZDoom/GZDoom(/Zandronum?).
VGA wrote:... and has all the features one would want.
It has none of the features someone like me would want (and people like me aren't uncommon), and ZDE does have them, so, what?

Anyway, the real reason I'm here is to ask Bloodbat a question;

Did you program ZDE to arrange .wad and .pk3 files in a proper load order or something? It seems to have rearranged a lot of things I normally use, and a lot of errors I used to get have vanished.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

It loads things according to the file listing. So if you have, say..

Code: Select all

awesomewad.wad
awesomemod.pk3
halpimtextures.pk3
It'll load it according to that list.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Devianteist wrote:
VGA wrote:Well I'm using ZDL because it works with all source ports and IWADs...
Tad rude, I think, plus, Bloodbat did say that this is designed for ZDoom/GZDoom(/Zandronum?).
VGA wrote:... and has all the features one would want.
It has none of the features someone like me would want (and people like me aren't uncommon), and ZDE does have them, so, what?

Anyway, the real reason I'm here is to ask Bloodbat a question;

Did you program ZDE to arrange .wad and .pk3 files in a proper load order or something? It seems to have rearranged a lot of things I normally use, and a lot of errors I used to get have vanished.
I'm happy ZDL has the features you use, the thing about software (and life) should be freedom, so if someone wants to use ZDL and it works for them, great, if someone else likes ZDE and serves their needs, great as well :); ZDL didn't have either all of the features I want or didn't behave as I expected it to, hence, I wrote my own and I'm really glad some people find my little piece of software useful, the same goes for ZDL, software is meant to be used and variety is the spice of life. With that in mind, if some feature comes across as useful I'll probably think about adding it (a lot of features have been suggested by users and testers, like the quick profiles and the upcoming library), in this particular case, it didn't, actually, I'd go suggest to the guys (and gals?) that maintain Chocolate Doom and Retro Doom about those shortcomings: Chocolate Doom should be able to play sound if it can find a .WAD (it's odd, even, if the problem is not finding a dynamic library, under Windows, if loading a DLL the program's folder's checked first, if the DLL isn't there, then the system folder, that behaviour is built in the OS itself, no need to add a single line of code, other than the one that loads or calls the library; under Linux, well, libraries are consolidated in one place for all programs to enjoy, probably the same goes for OS X) and if Retro Doom expects to find Doomretro.wad in its own folder, well, the check's simple, really, try moving or renaming zde.pk3 and start the program, you'll see what I mean. Then, there's also the beauty of free software: want a feature badly but the evil author won't implement it? Well, you can always grab the source, modify it and have your very own :D (in ZDE's case as long as it complies with GPL V.3), ZDE's code is meant to be understood and modified with relative ease.

Whew, sorry for the long rant ;)

As for arranging files: I'm glad errors vanished :), though, funnily, it loads external files in reverse order than ZDoom expects (I just corrected that some hours ago, it used to pass them left to right, making the first file the last considered in ZDoom, since its priority is right to left...go figure). In light of your comments, perhaps I should make the old behaviour a toggleable option? Unless you're referring to ZDE errors :P if so, please report them.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Suggestion: In ZDL you could enter map lumps like "C1M5" or "T001" and it warped you to the according map. In ZDE if I type in "C1M1" in the map lump, ZDoom tells me that "MAP00" wasn't found.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Bloodbat wrote: As for arranging files: I'm glad errors vanished :), though, funnily, it loads external files in reverse order than ZDoom expects (I just corrected that some hours ago, it used to pass them left to right, making the first file the last considered in ZDoom, since its priority is right to left...go figure). In light of your comments, perhaps I should make the old behaviour a toggleable option? Unless you're referring to ZDE errors :P if so, please report them.
Nah, keep up what you've got going so far. I haven't had any problems with anything using ZDE lately, so keep doing what you're doing.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Tormentor667 wrote:Suggestion: In ZDL you could enter map lumps like "C1M5" or "T001" and it warped you to the according map. In ZDE if I type in "C1M1" in the map lump, ZDoom tells me that "MAP00" wasn't found.
Fixed. I do wonder which game uses T001, though, so I can test it against that.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Stronghold for example uses STR01
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Tormentor667 wrote:Stronghold for example uses STR01
Thanks, tested against that one and everything seems to work as it should.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Bug report; For some reason I cannot type in the IP address/Port boxes in the multiplayer menu.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Is the "Multiplayer game" checkbox checked? If not...you can't interact with anything.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Yes, the checkbox is checked. I'm not sure what's gone wrong, really.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Both are masked edits and accept only numbers, if that's not the issue, which version are you using?
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

That doesn't seem to be the issue. Both the numbers on my Naga, my keyboard, and the numpad can't seem to type in the boxes.

I am using 1.0.19.

Could I have somehow broken something?
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Did it work before and, also, what's your Windows? (Maybe it's a broken Lazarus :S).
It's unlikely you broke something, though there's a beta version up (some new stuff is incomplete and some of its parts may be broken/not plugged in yet, but the old stuff works as intended) that you could try at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/zdexe/files/beta/
The code for the IP address stuff hasn't changed for several versions but it may work there (it's compiled with a different Lazarus). If you can please test it (your profiles and everything else should work same as before) and let me know if that particular problem disappears, since I can't reproduce it.
That beta also already provides some fixes and features for stuff reported or requested here since 1.0.19, so people desperate for those fixes could try it as well (typing map names; saving last configuration automatically on exit as a profile (.last.zdeprof wherever .zde.cfg resides), it can be toggled in the Options menu; drag and drop rearranging no longer crashes the external files box; and probably some other stuff I can't recall just right now, since I'm not looking at my SVN log :P).
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Bloodbat wrote:Did it work before and, also, what's your Windows? (Maybe it's a broken Lazarus :S).
It's unlikely you broke something, though there's a beta version up (some new stuff is incomplete and some of its parts may be broken/not plugged in yet, but the old stuff works as intended) that you could try at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/zdexe/files/beta/
The code for the IP address stuff hasn't changed for several versions but it may work there (it's compiled with a different Lazarus). If you can please test it (your profiles and everything else should work same as before) and let me know if that particular problem disappears, since I can't reproduce it.
That beta also already provides some fixes and features for stuff reported or requested here since 1.0.19, so people desperate for those fixes could try it as well (typing map names; saving last configuration automatically on exit as a profile (.last.zdeprof wherever .zde.cfg resides), it can be toggled in the Options menu; drag and drop rearranging no longer crashes the external files box; and probably some other stuff I can't recall just right now, since I'm not looking at my SVN log :P).
I'll be sure to try out the beta. Yes it worked before, and I am using Windows 7 on both computers that this problem has arisen on. It's baffling as to what may have happened, too, cause it was working fine earlier the day I posted something about it here.

EDIT: Problem solved. Still confused as to what happened, but at least it's working again. :shrug:

Return to “Launchers”