ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend.

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bloodbat

Re: ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend

Post by Bloodbat »

Hellser wrote:Good work so far, Bloodbat (just updated to the latest version). Any plans in the future for allowing the user to move external files around with the mouse? Or having an option so that when we're using the "Move external file up/down" buttons will follow the file instead of remaining stationary? Just something from ZDL that I miss. Outside of that, I've been using this as my main launcher.
Deviantesit wrote:I'm going to second this. This has been my main frontend since I discovered it, and not being able to do what Hellser said is really my only complaint about the program. Actually, it is my only complaint. :P

Scratch that, I just remembered something that invokes my ire is the inability to remove IWADs from the Paths. I had Blasphemer, but due to its extremely early stage, I deleted it, but now I'm stuck with the program saying that it cannot detect the Blasphemer IWAD every-so-often and that's really quite annoying.
For moving external files with the mouse and the buttons behaviour, I'll try to implement it some time.
The inability to remove IWADs from the Paths has been implemented and will be there next version to be released soon :)
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Sweetness in a bottle,
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Relaying a bug report here from your sourceforge page in hopes you can find this:

Upon selecting a level to play and hitting Launch and finishing up the game, ZDE remembers that level. If I click on the 'blank entry' (which I will assume is 'nothing/no level'), ZDE will still have the previous level locked away in its memory. I can have no level selected, and the command line options still shows -warp [levelnumber] command. I'm also unsure if it does the same thing for the skill level, but it's worth checking that as well.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Version 1.0.19 has been released!
Changes:
-Add: support for The Adventures of Square.
-Add: buttons to delete IWADs from paths menu and correct behaviour when clearing them.
-Add: DPI awareness and partial support for bigger font sizes (changing DPI, not changing font
sizes is the OS recommended way).
-Fix: programs wouldn't start if loading profiles by double clicking when outside program's folder.
-Fix: maps weren't being cleared from launcher when selecting none.
-Move most of the available definitions to zde.pk3: if you have a version with wadvers.xml and/or
mapdefs.xml it's safe to delete those two files from the program's folder.
-Add: rearrange external files order by drag and drop.
-Add: progress bar for time consuming operations (identifying WADs).
-Change: cosmetic changes.
-Fix: several small bugs and annoyances.
-Change: profile version to 4, profiles should update themselves when they're opened.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

A very awesome update, thanks Bloodbat!
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Another bug I've found (patch one down, pass it around, 127 little bugs in the code); when trying to move an External File entry to the top of the list, the list seems to lock up (I can do everything else in the program fine, but can't interact with the list there forth).

Edit:
After trying it again, there seems to be a random chance for the list to lack up when moving a file to the top of the list. I'm not sure what's causing it.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Please separate the Ultimate Doom and Doom IWADs, they are not the same, I want to have both in my list, some old mods work better with the Doom IWAD. Or allow for extra custom IWADs (name given by the user)

EDIT: Oh oh oh oh, you have to make sure you change the working directory to the target executable's one, otherwise this doesn't work properly with Chocolate Doom (sound doesn't work), Doom Retro can't find its doomretro.wad etc. :geek:

EDIT: It doesn't save the last used configuration? Come on... :cry:
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Best thing is? This is nearing a total replacement for ZDL. Already ZDL is removed from my system, once these bugs are fixed (and what VGA has mentioned is included possibly), it'll be a great program for all sorts of Doomin' fun.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Hellser wrote:Another bug I've found (patch one down, pass it around, 127 little bugs in the code); when trying to move an External File entry to the top of the list, the list seems to lock up (I can do everything else in the program fine, but can't interact with the list there forth).

Edit:
After trying it again, there seems to be a random chance for the list to lack up when moving a file to the top of the list. I'm not sure what's causing it.
Thanks I'll look into that. This happens with the button or the drag and drop?
VGA wrote:Please separate the Ultimate Doom and Doom IWADs, they are not the same, I want to have both in my list, some old mods work better with the Doom IWAD. Or allow for extra custom IWADs (name given by the user)

EDIT: Oh oh oh oh, you have to make sure you change the working directory to the target executable's one, otherwise this doesn't work properly with Chocolate Doom (sound doesn't work), Doom Retro can't find its doomretro.wad etc. :geek:

EDIT: It doesn't save the last used configuration? Come on... :cry:
As for separating games, it could be done, yeah, I'm actually thinking about changing the way that's defined to allow n games, even if user wants to, say, treat Brutal Doom as its own game (via the XML definitions framework that's been slowly implemented for stuff, already done: maps, difficulty definitions and WAD Identifier).

Neither Chocolate Doom or Doom Retro are ZDoom based, AFAIK, and this launcher's for ZDoom and its derivatives (so far no one has said fails without meeting the "change working path" requirement, the program's indeed, tested before release, quite thoroughly and not just by me, so far that hasn't been a problem) so...sorry...nope.

As for the configurations: that's what profiles are for, I did think about that at some point, but decided against it, however, adding that feature shouldn't be that much of a problem (as a toggleable option: being a user of my own program, I prefer it to start anew when I close it and reopen it sometime later).
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Bloodbat wrote:Thanks I'll look into that. This happens with the button or the drag and drop?
Drag and drop.
Zhs2
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Bloodbat wrote:As for the configurations: that's what profiles are for, I did think about that at some point, but decided against it, however, adding that feature shouldn't be that much of a problem (as a toggleable option: being a user of my own program, I prefer it to start anew when I close it and reopen it sometime later).
This is why I like the quick-save-and-set profile option (Ctrl+RMB), as when I start the program I can either go straight to an already set profile of a game I've been playing or start fresh and drop new things together for an intermediate multiplayer session. I would like to offer, though, that I don't think there's such a thing as too many quick profile buttons. :3:
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Hellser wrote:
Bloodbat wrote:Thanks I'll look into that. This happens with the button or the drag and drop?
Drag and drop.
Fix done, will appear in next release, it actually happened also when dragging beyond the last element, and wasn't random at all ;).
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Zhs2 wrote:
Bloodbat wrote:As for the configurations: that's what profiles are for, I did think about that at some point, but decided against it, however, adding that feature shouldn't be that much of a problem (as a toggleable option: being a user of my own program, I prefer it to start anew when I close it and reopen it sometime later).
This is why I like the quick-save-and-set profile option (Ctrl+RMB), as when I start the program I can either go straight to an already set profile of a game I've been playing or start fresh and drop new things together for an intermediate multiplayer session. I would like to offer, though, that I don't think there's such a thing as too many quick profile buttons. :3:
I may look into adding some more ;)
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

VGA wrote:Please separate the Ultimate Doom and Doom IWADs, they are not the same, I want to have both in my list, some old mods work better with the Doom IWAD. Or allow for extra custom IWADs (name given by the user)
While I ponder about that, you can load other IWADs using the "Read from external files" entry in the game list and putting the IWAD there as an external file (a file will be treated as an IWAD, which one is chosen depends on the "Check for IWAD" option menu entry: when checked it will read the external file list and use the first file that has an IWAD header, if unchecked it will consider the first file in the list an IWAD and pass it as such).
VGA

Post by VGA »

Well I'm using ZDL because it works with all source ports and IWADs and has all the features one would want.

Return to “Launchers”