ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend.

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
argv

Re: ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend

Post by argv »

Please consider moving your project off SourceForge, and onto another code hosting site like Bitbucket or GitHub.

SourceForge has been caught injecting adware into executables, so downloading things from there is unsafe. Also, its user interface is awful.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I'll have to agree with Argv. But I'm saying this as a user, not as a moderator. :)
wrkq

Post by wrkq »

argv wrote:SourceForge has been caught injecting adware into executables, so downloading things from there is unsafe. Also, its user interface is awful.
Is this some fresh repeat of the situation?
Like, 2016-2017?

The part I am aware of is that SF.net was bought out by some new owner circa 2013 who pushed for that, and after the massive backlash they stopped doing that and sold SF again in 2016(?) to newer-owner who's cleaned up the crap and overall been considered to be doing good job.

(Agreed on the clunky interface, but it /is/ a pain to move providers...)
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

AFAIK Sourceforge no longer does that. I've downloaded some of my own stuff (and a lot from others) from there and never had that problem. User interfaces are a matter of taste: some people love the Windows 10 stuff, I find it bland, hideous, blinding and clunky, same with the latest OS X design, Unity and Gnome 3 (the last two I find extremely inefficient). ZDE will remain in SourceForge as I don't like the way Git works at all; there's also another reason I use Sourceforge: I don't have a provider to host the binary files and my experiences with Github (though this could be Git's fault :P) have been less than stellar, to put it nicely. What could be done? If someone's willing to provide a stable host for the binaries, I could switch the binary host and make the compiled versions available in that other proverbial host instead of Sourceforge, if that would make some users feel safer. I don't have a lot of time these days to work on ZDE, what time I can afford, I'd rather use to continue developing ZDE 2 (which is coming along, but quite a bit of work) and fixing the inevitable bugs that will be found when it is released, not moving source hosts or fighting Git.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Bloodbat wrote:AFAIK Sourceforge no longer does that.
Good! Keep up your work on ZDE 2 then. :D
Dark Pulse
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Dark Pulse »

Is there any options to resize the ZDE Window? I scaled my Windows DPI settings up and it... well... didn't play very nice with ZDE at all. Whole sections of options are completely cut off and so on.

ZDE 1.2.8 on Win7 x64.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Hello I tried to build this on Linux and got this error:

Code: Select all

/tmp/zdexe-code/trunk/formmain.pas(37,47) Fatal: (2003) Syntax error, "identifier" expected but "," found
Edit: seems like you misplaced an endif.

Edit 2: very important to know for true Linux compatibility. what paths does it check for zde.pk3?
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

@Dark Pulse: The Window is unresizable, but that was fixed in the available beta.

@Marisa: Could be seen as a misplaced endif or a misplaced comma, either way, it's fixed in trunk. The pk3 is only ever checked in the same folder as the program itself, but patches are welcome (/usr/share maybe?)

@Everyone ZDE 2 development has advanced, completion isn't that far off, can't promise a release date; but it's getting there :).
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Quick update:
I reworked the interface to be a bit more in line with current computing trends (though mine is still kinda 3D, unlike the wonderful widgets in use now), you can check it out in the attachment, the rework has been barrels o' fun at most times and a gantlet at others, along with the new interface, support for ZDoom and its variants has gone to the crusher, only MS-DOS, real, vanilla id tech engines will be supported, while a lot of peeps will feel this is the pit, for others it will feel like Nirvana. Why not get the real, dead simple, experience as it was intended when the games shipped out of the factory?

Edit: happy april fools :P
Attachments
New interface
New interface
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

[late April Fools response]
That's an awesome interface! Is it MSDOS 5 compatible?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I once wrote software that looked like this, too - approximately 30 years ago... :mrgreen:
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

@Hellser MS-DOS 3.3 Compatible, actually :P
@Graf I still write software that looks like that from time to time (and not for April Fools :P)

For march seriousness...a real pic of what will be ZDE 2.
Attachments
ZDE 2 WIP
ZDE 2 WIP
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

Could i ask what is that flashlight thingy in the options? Also what are you considering as "External programs"?
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

The flashlight "thingie" is a browse button...check the hover hints.
As for External programs, those are programs to be ran before starting ZDoom itself, like external MIDI synths and such. Check the manual.
kadu522

Post by kadu522 »

OH

i just noticed that you update your software qithub stlye... Ops... mine must be 2 years old :lol:

Return to “Launchers”