ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend.

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bloodbat

Re: ZDoom Executor new ZDoom (and related projects) Frontend

Post by Bloodbat »

Devianteist wrote:I realize they're unsupported, but bugs are bugs, and you should know about 'em.

Keep up the great work. Love this frontend.
Indeed, and your info did lead to a fix to something that was a nasty bug in the WAD identifier, so thanks a lot and keep 'em reports coming :).
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Wait, really? Sweetness.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

A new beta (1.3.10) has been released!
Changes include:
-Fix the WAD identifier bug.
-Option to limit external programs to a single instance.
-New program icon.
-New WIP PDF manual (set to replace the wiki manual for the next release).
-New config version and profile version: external programs won't be quoted on add or on launch (not needed).
-Mostly FreeBSD compatible (source).
-Rearranged About window.
-Replace obsolete links with working ones.
-New, prettier profile icon (re-register your file associations to use it).
-Some other minor internal changes and fixes.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Can you set the working folder to the target process you are launching? Some ports, like Doom Retro, cannot find their ini.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

VGA wrote:Can you set the working folder to the target process you are launching? Some ports, like Doom Retro, cannot find their ini.
As has been stated, this is a front-end for ZDoom and its derivatives, I have, however, added your request.
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

Advance notice: profiles created with a ZDE version lower than 1.2.1 will no longer update correctly with the next release, so, if you have really old profiles (ProfVer lower than 6, easily found by using...say...grep), open them at least once with either 1.2.8 release or whatever latest beta your using.

Edit: a quick tool has been added "Profile Updater", it can be found under the Misc folder in the files repository as profupd.7z, it will update any profiles with the .zdeprof extension that it finds in any folder its placed and run from, it can recurse subfolders if the -r or --recursive parameter is used. If you plan to use it, make sure you're running at least the latest release or, even better, the most recent beta.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

zde.pk3 could maybe get updated to implement definitions for latest Freedoom releases v0.11, 0.11.1 and 0.11.2:

Freedoom1:
Spoiler:
Freedoom2:
Spoiler:
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

The program gives me an access violation error after I've told it where my WADs are! Is that supposed to happen?
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

@NightFright: thanks, the .pk3 has been updated and is available in the download section ;)
@Wiw: no, not by design, but it would be rather helpful if you actually posted useful information like the operating system, the ZDE version and the steps you're taking before that SEGV happens (and maybe the folders where the WADs are, and any other odd quirks like...say...the wads being hard links [yes, they exist under Windows too]).
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Hard links? What's that mean? You think that might be the issue?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Wiw wrote:Hard links? What's that mean? You think that might be the issue?
Bloodbat wrote:it would be rather helpful if you actually posted useful information like the operating system, the ZDE version and the steps you're taking before that SEGV happens (and maybe the folders where the WADs are, and any other odd quirks like...say...the wads being hard links [yes, they exist under Windows too]).
:?
Wiw

Post by Wiw »

Well, I'm running v1.2.8 under Windows 8.1. When I first ran the program, I input where my IWADs and PWADs were, then I clicked OK, and that's when the error came up. But the strangest thing is, I cancelled out of it next time, and now it runs fine!
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

I am unable to reproduce the crash under 1.2.8 or my latest internal beta, granted I don't use Windows 8, but ZDE was tested under Windows 10, which shares a lot of 8's awful DNA. Though it is weird, I'm glad it's working for you.
What happens if you go to Options -> Paths (can be accessed by pressing F5 as well) and click Ok?
As for hard links...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link
Given their nature, ZDE should have no problems handling them (and I do recall all the IWADs I handled with ZDE were hardlinks at some point for convenience, specially when testing under FreeBSD, since data duplication is rather pointless), but it was just an example that came to mind that could illustrate kind-of out of the ordinary setups. A couple of other odd setups that could come to mind:
-IWADs flushed to a folder and then telling ZDE the folder's an IWAD (I haven't tested this, but it could, indeed, kill ZDE as it expects IWADs or PK3 files).
-if such a thing exists, something that makes Windows treat IWADs like folders every single time (same reason as above if the program really, really hooks into Windows).
-Though those really shouldn't be a problem, some kind of tampered with IWADs.
Edit: Ok, here's something that just occurred to me: as of right now, just selecting an IWADs path doesn't automagically fill the IWADs under the IWADs tab in the setup screen, it doesn't crash (nor should it) the program if they're not filled (I just re-tested), but maybe that is related, given the description you gave?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I dunno if this suggestion makes sense to all of you, but anyway:

How about splitting the External Files window into two so you have a seperate one only for mods? The first window keeps its functionality so "Read from External Files" still works for iwads. Basically you put every pwad there that has levels. The second window would be meant for gameplay mods.

The idea is to have some kind of order especially when handling many files. For example, I would like to have certain addons like Doom the Way id Did, The Lost Episodes of Doom etc available at all times, but simultaneously I like to have constant access to many mods, e.g. blood fixer for Doom, music packs or Quake weapons for Heretic. Right now, you have to place everything in the same window. This can get confusing and is less convenient when you have addons there you just want to use temporarily among those that are supposed to remain where they are. Having level packs in one window and mods in another would improve the overview quite a bit, at least for me.

(This would also require a new entry in "Default Paths", such as "Default Mods Path" or something similar.)
Bloodbat

Post by Bloodbat »

NightFright wrote:I dunno if this suggestion makes sense to all of you, but anyway:

How about splitting the External Files window into two so you have a seperate one only for mods? The first window keeps its functionality so "Read from External Files" still works for iwads. Basically you put every pwad there that has levels. The second window would be meant for gameplay mods.

The idea is to have some kind of order especially when handling many files. For example, I would like to have certain addons like Doom the Way id Did, The Lost Episodes of Doom etc available at all times, but simultaneously I like to have constant access to many mods, e.g. blood fixer for Doom, music packs or Quake weapons for Heretic. Right now, you have to place everything in the same window. This can get confusing and is less convenient when you have addons there you just want to use temporarily among those that are supposed to remain where they are. Having level packs in one window and mods in another would improve the overview quite a bit, at least for me.

(This would also require a new entry in "Default Paths", such as "Default Mods Path" or something similar.)
I don't quite follow the idea or intent, then again, I'm rather sleepy, however it does sound a bit (not a lot) like something planned for the future using the Library tab. It would still require a profile for each mod, though they would be available in a list and a couple of clicks away. This functionality will be done when it's done(T.M) :P

Return to “Launchers”