BTSX HUD v2.x for Brutal Doom (ABANDONED FOR NOW)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby Hexereticdoom » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Coincident wrote:The links seem to be dead; I've been trying all day but I'm unable to download anything from that site.
Is there another download mirror, by any chance?

Sure, here you have it:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zqqp22d8znhnqod/BTSXHUD-SD_V2.5.PK3

darkhaven3 wrote:The HUD is nice and I like it personally, but as the textfile states, please try to be a bit more considerate and check with esselfortium and Ptoing (IIRC Ptoing did the original HUD) if it's okay to use their material at the least. As it stands, you should not distribute their work without their permission.


Huh? :shock:

Sorry, but I haven't seen anywhere before those textfiles you're quoting... Not even in the original BTSX-HUD Zip file I downloaded some time ago. So then I thought crediting Ptoing and Essel in the modified version was fairly enough... :?

Anyway, and first of all, my humble intention for making the BTSX HUD 2.x was just for reviving the really-cool and interesting project that the original BTSX HUD is. Moreover, the several days I used it in Doom-playing I enjoyed it a lot, but also my thoughts were telling me that this HUD deserved some more updatings and improvements, for makin' it more complete and even more enjoyable. I said to myself - man, it's a pity that a such very-well made work finishes in a forgotten corner... And yeah, I put my hands on it...

But OK then, in that case, I imagine the fair way is asking for permission to the original authors... Where can I contact them actually?
User avatar
Hexereticdoom
Don't make me angry or I'll bite you! Heheheee...
 
Joined: 08 Aug 2013
Location: Spain

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby darkhaven3 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:22 pm

Hexereticdoom wrote:Huh? :shock:

Sorry, but I haven't seen anywhere before those textfiles you're quoting... Not even in the original BTSX-HUD Zip file I downloaded some time ago. So then I thought crediting Ptoing and Essel in the modified version was fairly enough... :?

If you've ever played BTSX E1 or E2, you have these text files I'm referring to. It's important that you do your research and examine where the mod's content came from if you didn't make it yourself; most releases have a copyright terms section at the bottom of the text file that tells you whether or not you are allowed to make modifications to the work or not.

But OK then, in that case, I imagine the fair way is asking for permission to the original authors... Where can I contact them actually?

On these forums you can contact esselfortium via PM, or via Doomworld under the same username. Ptoing is also a Doomworld member I believe.
User avatar
darkhaven3
"You scared? Yeah... Me too."
 
Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Location: East Germany, 2023

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby esselfortium » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 pm

As far as I remember, ptoing and myself gave permission to one person who asked if they could create a ZDoom HUD based on BTSX's statusbar. I was a bit wary of things getting spread, but I was asked nicely so I said sure, why not. Since then, it's been edited and tossed into 8 billion other wads without permission. I don't think I ever approved that, though maybe someone has a quote I've forgotten about.
User avatar
esselfortium
 
Joined: 20 Sep 2006

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby Hexereticdoom » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:40 am

Well... what does that mean then? Shall I cancel keeping up to date the 2.x project and erase it from first post?
User avatar
Hexereticdoom
Don't make me angry or I'll bite you! Heheheee...
 
Joined: 08 Aug 2013
Location: Spain

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby wildweasel » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:13 am

Hexereticdoom wrote:Well... what does that mean then? Shall I cancel keeping up to date the 2.x project and erase it from first post?

Maybe ask Essel for official permission to use the graphics from his project?
User avatar
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby Hexereticdoom » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:35 am

wildweasel wrote:
Hexereticdoom wrote:Well... what does that mean then? Shall I cancel keeping up to date the 2.x project and erase it from first post?

Maybe ask Essel for official permission to use the graphics from his project?

OK, let's do it right way now...

Mr. Esselfortium, would you please give me authorization for keep using your original graphic resources for BTSX HUD 2.x and the forthcoming HXRTC HUD (based also on first one)? :?:
User avatar
Hexereticdoom
Don't make me angry or I'll bite you! Heheheee...
 
Joined: 08 Aug 2013
Location: Spain

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby Hexereticdoom » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:49 am

Hexereticdoom wrote:Mr. Esselfortium, would you please give me authorization for keep using your original graphic resources for BTSX HUD 2.x and the forthcoming HXRTC HUD (based also on first one)?


Well then? :shrug:
User avatar
Hexereticdoom
Don't make me angry or I'll bite you! Heheheee...
 
Joined: 08 Aug 2013
Location: Spain

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby esselfortium » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:15 pm

I don't feel I have much choice but to say okay, but I ask that you please avoid using them in future projects, and mention in a visible place that they are from BTSX and should not be reused.
User avatar
esselfortium
 
Joined: 20 Sep 2006

Re: BTSX HUD v2.x for Brutal Doom (ABANDONED FOR NOW)

Postby Hexereticdoom » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:23 pm

OK, thanks a lot for your answer Esselfortium. But finally, after some deep thoughts I have decided not to continue with future BTSX HUD updatings.

(See first post for more details.)
User avatar
Hexereticdoom
Don't make me angry or I'll bite you! Heheheee...
 
Joined: 08 Aug 2013
Location: Spain

Re: BTSX HUD v2.3 for Brutal Doom (MORE NEW SKINS!!!)

Postby blackfish » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:07 pm

esselfortium wrote:As far as I remember, ptoing and myself gave permission to one person who asked if they could create a ZDoom HUD based on BTSX's statusbar. I was a bit wary of things getting spread, but I was asked nicely so I said sure, why not. Since then, it's been edited and tossed into 8 billion other wads without permission. I don't think I ever approved that, though maybe someone has a quote I've forgotten about.


I have some partial blame for this. While I did credit you in ptoing for using the HUD graphics in the Readme, I should have mentioned about having to contact you in ptoing for future use.
User avatar
blackfish
pew pew
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Previous

Return to Abandoned/Dead Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 0 guests