Predators - Hellspawn Hunters [Working on the v0.4a]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Endless123

Re: Predators - Hellspawn Hunters [Working on the v0.4a]

Post by Endless123 »

Xeotroid wrote:Nice. What's with the numbers, though - is that a custom mod? I would like to see a complete alphabet edit, not just numbers. :D
(even though I never really liked Yautja alphabet, it suffers from all characters looking the same)

I would change the top text though, info about what mod and class you're playing doesn't have to be in large font, imo. Although, the top bar would be a bit pointless then except for pick-up messages...
The HUD has 2 different views

1 - The normal status bar is replaced by the HUD with the predator's digits
2 - The Fullscreen HUD and the no-HUD are replaced with the predator HUD with normal numbers.

About the font, it's how it looks like at 1024x768 resolution - which is a small resolution. If you play the mod at higher resolution the text won't appear as big. Of course it's easy to change so if jd wants it smaller i'll make the changes. It would take about .... 3 mins to make the changes :lol: It's really not that hard.

About the pred's alphabet - i don't know if it exists somewhere. I only took the digits from AvP 2 game database and adapt the size for the HUD.
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

Cool. It would be nicer if there was a different switch between alphabets, like using a CVar, but iirc that's not possible with SBARINFO...
Endless123 wrote:About the pred's alphabet - i don't know if it exists somewhere. I only took the digits from AvP 2 game database and adapt the size for the HUD.

There are plenty more images on Google, this was the first (and best) one.
The alphabet is a bit weird, actually. First: the characters are very similar, which is not good (even Tolkien's elven language suffered from this, but it wasn't this bad) and second: The system is (apart from shape) no different from English - what would people not using English or even latin script languages say? Why do aliens use re-painted English system? I'm digging in this too much...
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I don't know how much they expanded the Predator alphabet in the comics, but originally those symbols were only supposed to look cool and alien-esque in the Predator's wrist computer. There's no guarantee that they were actually letters (it could have been numbers). It even looks like it was build using calculator's digit leds in the old movies (although i can't confirm that, maybe i should check the Stan Winston page). That's probably the reason why the Predator alphabet is so poorly implemented into the latin alphabet in such a superficial manner.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:I don't know how much they expanded the Predator alphabet in the comics, but originally those symbols were only supposed to look cool and alien-esque in the Predator's wrist computer. There's no guarantee that they were actually letters (it could have been numbers). It even looks like it was build using calculator's digit leds in the old movies (although i can't confirm that, maybe i should check the Stan Winston page). That's probably the reason why the Predator alphabet is so poorly implemented into the latin alphabet in such a superficial manner.
To that i'll add the AvP 2 game database has different value for the numbers than in this vignette. As i recall in AvP 2 it's 1 notches = 1, 2 notches = 2 up to 9 notches and the zero not being present. That's why i replaced it with the "-" symbol instead of an empty space. I think the AvP 2 method is easier to read and makes more sense than in the vignette. Why it's different in the games and in the movies i have no idea :lol:
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I think because it was never an organized dialect like the one Xeotroid mentioned (The Tolkien's Elven language), but only conceived for aesthetic purposes.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:I think because it was never an organized dialect like the one Xeotroid mentioned (The Tolkien's Elven language), but only conceived for aesthetic purposes.
Yeah i think so too. In-game the digits needed to make sense so the player can figured it out. That's probably why they "organized" the digits in a more logical way. I wonder if there is an actual predator language like for the Klingons in Star Trek.
Cool. It would be nicer if there was a different switch between alphabets, like using a CVar, but iirc that's not possible with SBARINFO...
Actually it would be easier than that if it's implemented as a normal font and defined in FONTDEFS.
patrik

Post by patrik »

Endless123 wrote: I already made an alternative, i made the bottom part on/off
This is certainly the best solution as it satisfies both opinion camps. :)
Xeotroid wrote:Nice. What's with the numbers, though - is that a custom mod? I would like to see a complete alphabet edit, not just numbers.
Not very practical IMO (and it wasnt in previous versions), but it is nice little optional "in-lore" detail, that I dont mind. I see you were inspired by Endless123's AVP (formerly Predator) mod, jdredalert. :wink:

Funny thing, if you consider AVP films canon, then Predators have another alphabet, glyphs.
(Sorry, couldnt find picture of less crappy quality. :oops: )
Maybe glyphs are their formal classic alphabet (propably still kept for ritualistic purposes, as they are for example shown on catafalque where deceased Scar is displayed at end of AVP film) and that digital one is used for common informal communication. Something similar like ancient egyptians had.

:ninja: Well, when we got so far offtopic, you surely wont mind, that...
Have you heard NECA is bringing this September, new 14th series of Predator figures featuring AVP1 ones? (Finally, bleh Kenner-tribute figures.) http://necaonline.com/52236/products/to ... ssortment/
Cant wait, to finally get my hands on Celtic! :wub: (I missed McFarlane figures and not interested in buying over priced from Ebay, so this is the first chance for me.)
</predator_fan_mode>

Ehm, ... What do you think of giving predator his selfdestruction device? I imagine it working in way, that if you die, there would be some time delay while sound clips of count down beeping and predator maniacally laughing is heard and than big explosion would occur. This could be obviously limited to only singleplayer and it would require player not getting gibbed, but I think it would be nice bonus eye candy effect for those of us, who use death camera and give player last laugh. :twisted:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

A detachable device like in AvP Requiem would be fun too. The device being part of the predator computer the player could loose his ability to lock-on with the Plasma Caster or even making it unusable. Same for the mask if the device have been used so no more computer and no more view modes. A replacement computer could replace the invulnerability sphere with a random chance of spawning or not so the player could regain his lost Plasma Caster and/or view modes abilities .
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Nah, without the computer the Predator is pretty much useless. From what we see in Predators (the 2010 movie), the classic Predator activates both the cloaking and mask using his wrist device. If one could get rid of the computer, the Predator would be defenseless or at least, defenseless against the plasma and freeze guys, which would make the two higher difficulties simply unfair and unplayable. For gameplay sake, some aspects of the lore must be ditched away.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:Nah, without the computer the Predator is pretty much useless. From what we see in Predators (the 2010 movie), the classic Predator activates both the cloaking and mask using his wrist device. If one could get rid of the computer, the Predator would be defenseless or at least, defenseless against the plasma and freeze guys, which would make the two higher difficulties simply unfair and unplayable. For gameplay sake, some aspects of the lore must be ditched away.
That's why making a pickup available that replace a rare powerup like the invincibility sphere could be a good thing. Also due to the device destructive power and "one-time" usage the player would think twice before using it. It's like an emergency plan if plan A, B, C .... don't work :lol: You just throw the device and offer yourself some fireworks :lol:
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Quick one, pal.

I've almost finished the Jungle hunter sprite set. But i realised something...

Predator blood is green, The standard team color is also green. Soooo... are you changing team colors? I have just started death sprites and realised that he would bleed blue/red/pink or whatever your player color was, as doom would think the green was team color.

Let me know and i will make any changes needed.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

To be very honest, i haven't started to think about the multiplayer yet... :S While i can't recall the exact stuff now, but i know that some stuff i did in the past wouldn't be too multiplayer-friendly (code-wise). The multiplayer was never the main objective of the mod so i didn't care back then. And these days i was feeling really tired and i took the week off to rest (both physically and mentally). So, feel free to make the adjustments you see fit. Maybe changing the team colors into something different, or giving the Predator blood a different and more bright shade of green that differs from the team colors.

PS: it would be too hard to make two different versions of the same sheet, one with the team colors on the Predator sprites to fit the rest of the armor (since the next version will still be single player focused until i can sit and work on the multiplayer) and the other one the way you're doing until now? I'm saying this because probably i'll have to extensively modify the actual file in order to get the multiplayer working right, and this is something i'm really too exhausted to do these days (but i really want to do soon enough).
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

@ JDREDALLERT
Okay. Here is the test PK3 of the Jungle Hunter. Team colors are unsupported as of yet, but I have some ideas for that. It's missing death and melee frames, but they won't take long to knock up. Included is a decorate with suggested animation speeds, but you can obviously play with it how you want. Make sure you keep COLOR RANGE how it is, or the sprite will get screwed up by teamcolors. I have some ideas for this. Tell me if you want me to continue or alter anything, and i will get back to it.

@Everyone else
This is a favor for the mod author. If you want to use these sprites in a similar project, ask JD for permission, not me.

I want to make some sheets for City hunter and something based off the game, as well as one of the predators from the AVP movie, for classes. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. And yes, they will have green blood. Maybe i'll have to make a bright map for that :wink:

https://www.mediafire.com/?ypkmb2vrjda87f2
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Yes!! I can't wait to test them! Downloading now!!

EDIT - Actually, no, i'm not downloading now, thanks to mediafire:
Mediafire Screwing me wrote: OOPS!!

This download is currently unavailable

We apologize, but this download is currently unavailable. Please be patient, we will retry your download again in 30 seconds.
The only thing that happens after the 30 seconds countdown is that the download fails to start and i got another countdown. Forever.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Riiiiight. Okay. I will try and reupload it. Sorry bout that.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”