OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SouthernLion

Re: QUAKE: Descent into Heresy (WIP)

Post by SouthernLion »

osjclatchford wrote:
I had not intended to implement a thunderbolt
*Gets up and walks out of thread.*
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: QUAKE: Descent into Heresy (WIP) v_2 (wed 6th aug 2014)

Post by leileilol »

guys, if you're looking for a "pure" quake experience, a doom/heretic mod won't ever be what you're looking for. Complaining about it is just beating a dead horse. and to be fair, it nails it closer than some questionable 'quake doom!' mods that stupidly mash Q2 and Q3 weapons together for the ranger with poor research.

that said, keep it up ojscratchesaford. It's totally fine to not implement the thunderbolt, Zdoom never can support a good thunderbolt anyway.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Hey I don't mind it not being pure quake, my gripes were just when I thought you were trying to clone quake.(Except for the grenades and coding errors.)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

eyup, if you say so, do whatever you want. i just want some of gltiches 'n errors just got fixed.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

All bugs have been fixed. See first page. Version 2b now... :roll:
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

RexS wrote:
osjclatchford wrote:
I had not intended to implement a thunderbolt
*Gets up and walks out of thread.*
Why not? Plus the expansion weapons would be fun as hell to play with too! Unless of course you want to add those in as a Tome of Power function instead? That could work too.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

Thunderbolt could easily be achieved with A_RailAttack, beam color white, no peircing, fast duration, 4-8 maxdiff and slower driftspeed. Could also decrease sparsity if you wish. Could even use a custom spawnclass with a more lightning texture.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

but hey, he said don't wanna make that weapon...so still it's not possible. anyway thanks for update, i just forgot.
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Captain J wrote:but hey, he said don't wanna make that weapon...so still it's not possible. anyway thanks for update, i just forgot.
Even if he doesn't add it to this particular mod, I'd still like it if he did sprites for it and the axe. Seems a shame to leave the set incomplete. :)
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Valherran wrote:Why not? Plus the expansion weapons would be fun as hell to play with too! Unless of course you want to add those in as a Tome of Power function instead? That could work too.
The expansion weapons (with the possible exception of the laser cannon) just came off as rushed reskins of the vanilla ones, I don't think it would be worth the work.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Gifty wrote:
Valherran wrote:Why not? Plus the expansion weapons would be fun as hell to play with too! Unless of course you want to add those in as a Tome of Power function instead? That could work too.
The expansion weapons (with the possible exception of the laser cannon) just came off as rushed reskins of the vanilla ones, I don't think it would be worth the work.
No, they all do different things compared to their original counterparts, here is what they did:

Lava Nailguns - They ignored armor and dealt like 30% more damage to targets than usual.

Cluster Greandes/Rockets - They caused mini explosions after the main explosion occurred.

Plasma Cannon - Launched a high explosive energy shot.

Lightning Hammer - Caused electric explosions when hitting objects.

Laser Cannon - A rapid fire double barrel laser gun.

Proximity Mines - Grenade Launcher can fire landmines at a distance that deploy on any surface.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Maybe make the expansion weapons Tomed-up fire modes for the normal weapons?
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Big C wrote:Maybe make the expansion weapons Tomed-up fire modes for the normal weapons?
I peeked into the code--I think this is actually already done for the Quad Damage.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Indeed the tome code is spoken for but expansion pack content smacks of add on to me... :)
Also I said I did not intend to make a thunderbolt. But I cannot deny the desire to do one is getting stronger... :wink:
I'd like to do an axe too but I might need some help with the sprite for the axe...

*EDIT*
progress...
thundo2.png
thundo2.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Last edited by osjclatchford on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

ok version 3 is out! with thunderbolt due to popular demand! LOL went for the a_railattack option (as suggested by darkslayer) with sprites so its kinda lame (which is why I was gonna leave it out) so don't be too harsh a critic on it. its the only way I can think of doing anything even remotely like the original but its still very different to be honest...
it replaces the mace (which still has the same spawnpoint method of spawning as in original heretic) so its kinda a secret weapon. the mace ammo is now small and large cells respectively. the mod also includes a quake symbol crosshair for crosshair1 too if you like that sort of thing... :wink:

now next up is the axe. I'd like to use this:
axe-handless.png
axe-handless.png (10.52 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
axe made by mike12 as a base but Its got to be a double-header right? anyone fancy tackling making the other side of the axe? I tried a bit but its angles have sure got me stumped...

*edit*
also added v3b. includes truer quake style grenade behaviour. once I tried it out I decided it was actually rather good. also look out for water lava and slime pools, you'll lose your nades here!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”