Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16835
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Captain J »

JimpArgon wrote:Dude, I just posted the link to its successor... The only way you could have missed that is by either ignoring my post..... Or Im on your "foe" list. O well. :3:
I DID saw your reply, but couldn't replied because the link called successor has so many wads and it's pretty long to check out. And of course, i know you can search it by pressing Ctrl+F and search, but i'm looking for the easiest way to search it without using Ctrl+F. Because finding something rather easier is what they mostly prefer, right?

And no, don't think about i'm foe-ing you. Even though it sounds you're ignored, but i'm already confirmed and understood what you said because i can see your posts, and your point! So, haha! Stay positive! We are still good, right? :D
Last edited by Captain J on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
JimpArgon
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:03 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by JimpArgon »

Captain J wrote:We are still good, right? :D
Always. 8-)
User avatar
RUNSABER
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by RUNSABER »

Thinking about porting Metroid to 3DGE as Prime Hunter. I would like to request this mod to be used as a base for this possible project to add/improve existing sprites, and create maps for the mod.
ijon
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by ijon »

RUNSABER wrote:Thinking about porting Metroid to 3DGE as Prime Hunter. I would like to request this mod to be used as a base for this possible project to add/improve existing sprites, and create maps for the mod.
you'd want to check the credits, because 99% of the sounds and sprites in the mod were made by other people. also, I hope you realize sprites and sounds are going to be the only things you can port over to a non-zdoom port, unless 3DGE got DECORATE and ACS when I wasn't looking.
User avatar
RUNSABER
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by RUNSABER »

I also created a deathmatch map for this mod a few years ago without proper credit being given to me. The map is Combat Hall if in question.
I plan to create my own sprites as the current ones do not have animations and I want to capture the relatively good feel with Metroid as its my favorite FPS before the Halo series. 3DGE does not have DECORATE or ACS, but its own definition and script files that are more simple and powerful than DECORATE/ACS combined. Multiplayer is also very versatile so porting this mod will be EFFORTLESS <3 Thank you!
User avatar
Ethril
Posts: 2677
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:59 am
Location: with you in the dark

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Ethril »

Well, since it's already been bumped, figure I'll just ask this here...
TerminusEst13 wrote:That was coded by ijon, who is unfortunately no longer a part of the Doom scene.
Wait, what? What happened?
ijon
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by ijon »

I got bored with doom and left for a year, and now I'm content just sitting on the edge of the doom scene and shitposting
I still barely ever play doom, but I'll still contribute to stuff like DUMP

as for the beam stacking, it *worked*, even if the interface was vague as hell, but it probably could be coded better now

also I can't say much about DDF (holy shit the 3dge wiki is lacking), but I can safely say "effortless" is not the word I'd use for any of this

edit: ... yeah no, definitely not "effortless". especially not on the ACS front. holy fuck RTS looks bad, and I'm looking at that marathon 3dge mod released two months ago.

edit2: ... can you not define new actors? because I see no other reason one would define the chainsaw as a fusion pistol, rather than just having a "replaces Chainsaw" equivalent.
User avatar
RUNSABER
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by RUNSABER »

Hey, every now and again Dooming can burn you out - a little bit of entertainment elsewhere isnt a bad thing! One of the reasons I enjoy ZDoom is its customization like 3DGE. You don't HAVE to keep making Doom mods, theres room for something standalone-ish if you have the creative inclination to do so. I found the beam-stacking very cool as well, though being able to do it like you could in Super Metroid would be tough. Like using the Ice Beam without the Wave Beam upgrade.

From the outside looking in, casual modders dont understand or know much about DDF as DECORATE, DeHackeD/ACS have been the circuit staple for almost decades. The Wiki is lacking because the port itself is still being developed and improved on top of the community making mods in real time. I try to update the wiki in my spare time when I discover new tricks to help out other modders.

Effortless is not used in the general sense. I use that term for myself as I have a very good understanding of DDF/RTS/COAL and soon SPLINE for camera calls through the same code. Ceejay's mod is just the tip of what can truly be done with the port, just wait until I begin the porting process :D

You can define new actors (definitions) either by using existing Doom definitions or creating a unique name indigenous to that actor. Inheritance is also possible through a template command as well. And as with DECORATE, there is not a limit to the number of actors you define, just be mindful in case you want to replace existing things with the code. What I'm really going for is a story-driven adventure where fighting other hunters is possible and not just another gameplay mod sticking out in a Doomiverse :)
User avatar
TerminusEst13
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by TerminusEst13 »

RUNSABER wrote:I also created a deathmatch map for this mod a few years ago without proper credit being given to me. The map is Combat Hall if in question.
???????????????????

Credit is quite literally the very first thing that happens on the map.

Image

I mean, yeah, if you want to use Dreadnought as a basis for your own mod, go right ahead. Just keep in mind the credits, and don't pretend I don't credit people.
User avatar
RUNSABER
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by RUNSABER »

I havent played the mod in a long time and did not notice the map tip. Triggering you was the least of my agenda, as it was not my motive to pretend that you did not credit me. Not sorry for your reaction, however.

My attempt at a little definition test. Wish me luck.
Image
User avatar
RUNSABER
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by RUNSABER »

Everything will be created from scratch minus the power beam images and few others. I will credit Retro Studios and Nintendo accordingly. I will seek elsewhere for special effects to make it as close to a Prime successor as possible. No need for Dreadnought's code, only a reference. Thank you.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21519
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by wildweasel »

RUNSABER wrote:My attempt at a little definition test. Wish me luck.
Friendly neighborhood moderator here: if you wish to continue your project, feel free to start a new thread for it instead of using somebody else's. Thank you in advance.
PooshhMao
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:09 am

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by PooshhMao »

Hi,

I can't get to run this mod anymore, it crashes for me on startup with the message
Warning: 'Object' is freed outside the GC process.
Script error, "MetroidDreadnought.pk3:decorate/beams/chromastorm.dec" line 1:
'BT_ATTACK' is already defined in 'Global'.
Warning: 'Object' is freed outside the GC process.
Script error, "MetroidDreadnought.pk3:decorate/beams/chromastorm.dec" line 2:
'BT_ALTATTACK' is already defined in 'Global'.
Script warning, "MetroidDreadnought.pk3:decorate/beams/chromastorm.dec" line 374:
Unknown class name 'RuneSpread'
2 errors while parsing DECORATE scripts
Using GzDoom g2.2.0 on x64 Linux from the DRD Team repository.
User avatar
MetroidJunkie
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:27 am

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Same, I can't seem to get the mod to run no matter what I attempt to run it with.

Update: I managed to more or less get it to work by going into the pk3's decorate/beams/chromastorm.dec file and removing the first 2 lines that were causing the error.
User avatar
Wolfbrf
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Re: Metroid: Dreadnought v1 - The Galaxy is Doomed

Post by Wolfbrf »

This mod just need new monster, besriary 667 can help. Aliens like soldiers and demons(projecto msx gameplay) with new and cool energy attacks = perfect, like metroid prime

Return to “Gameplay Mods”