Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ravage

Re: Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

Post by ravage »

I suppose I should actually try and play the game on Ultra. It was never meant as a serious difficulty, more of a lol, really.
ravage

Post by ravage »

So I've been made aware that someone's posted my mod on ModDB, and I want to make it very clear that I did not authorize it. Doomworld, Idgames, and Zdoom forums are the only places I have posted this mod in, so be wary of that.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ravage wrote:So I've been made aware that someone's posted my mod on ModDB, and I want to make it very clear that I did not authorize it. Doomworld, Idgames, and Zdoom forums are the only places I have posted this mod in, so be wary of that.
the uploader's moddb profile wrote:hey there kids!
im an old member here, and sometimes i upload the custom stuff i find on the internet. nothing in my profile is owned by me, so dont ask for support or patch. if you are the original owner, ask the moddb staff to give the admin rights for you oown mod, no hard feelings...
I have no clue why ModDB allow this. :?
geronimoao
Operating System Version (Optional): Linux Mint 20.3
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Short review, couple suggestions and bug reports

Post by geronimoao »

Nilex wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:01 pm
ravage wrote:
Nilex wrote: In Ep4-L6 I could not get one enemy to spawn. Been sweeping up and down, left and right, back and forth to no avail.
May be it's no a bug but worth a look. Would a save file help (v2-19-2022)?
Map36? Is it any enemy or just one specific enemy?
Can't say for sure. I noticed in handful of rare cases enemies only spawned when backtracking, for no apparent reason. Excluding picking up keys or activating switch triggers. Simply going through an uneventful corridor one way then backtracking through it spawned new enemies. Possibly due to an unknown (to me) trigger. I assumed it was the case in this map so I preformed multitude of tests in attempt to activate all hidden triggers but level is so complex and has most enemies of them all so I likely missed one. I can for sure confirm there wasn't alive one hiding somewhere unless it's out of map bounds, even though I checked there too. Even contemplated viewing the map in editor to check if there wasn't a misplaced spawn point somewhere but my laziness overpowered my ocd. It could also be I broke scripting due to excessive amounts of qsave/qload. If that's indeed the case then I must commend GZ coders because it's only 1 in a million occurrence.
I'd give it a short check in map editor and forget about if I can't see anything, or until another similar report comes up.

Gargoyle compromise sounds fair.

Yeah I meant Ghost fade away. When they reappear is should be in player's FOV. Or give them some kind of distinct audio cue when reappearing. On Ultra they're too RNG to fight against, or alternatively too tedious if cautions approach is taken for a distance (not always possible). Goal is to stop random but common insta-deaths from behind.
I'm just going to report the same thing. I couldn't find that last enemy at level 36 either.
And by the way, I also noticed the spikes in the air from level 23.

Small details that do not tarnish the impressive work in this MOD. Congratulations!

PS: I was always drawn to the original "Hocus Pocus" game because of its wizard theme. But I never lasted long playing it. Very rough and lacking in inertia in his movements (mainly his vertical movement). In "Mario Bros." (1983) and then in "Super Mario Bros" (1985), a sense of exquisite inertia was achieved for the characters. A decade later, "Hocus Pocus" (1993) came out a bit raw in that respect.
Thanks to this MOD I was finally able to enjoy a Hocus Pocus more in line with my playable tastes.
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

Hey, sorry for the thread bump; I'm not sure how praise interacts with the rule. But I just had to say that I played an older update a while back and then never quite came back to it. I remedied that recently and just wanted to say I had a blast and absolutely LOVE your mapping skills :D Reminds me of the great platformer games of the 00s; very pleasantly nostalgic.The layouts and architecture of Mount Ruin were my favorite I think. This is of course not to take away from all the other fantastic maps! Just wanted to thank you for the hard work on the project over the years. :D

PS: Also, just wanna agree with the above comment. I, too, always liked the theme of Hocus Pocus but never managed to complete it probably for similar reasons. So as a bonus, feels like I kinda did that here haha :P Sorry again if this breaks bumping rules. Won't happen again if so.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”