Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ravage

Re: Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

Post by ravage »

Mod_till_crash wrote:a glitch with i found in the 3th map when u take the white potion the one that gives u rapid fire, the overlay for showing its active is misaligned it covers like3/4 of the screens. i have a garbage pc otherwise i would have shown some screenshots. have tryed different versions of gzdoom messed around with video settings nothing fixed it

TLDR:- Rapid fire potion[white one] overlay to show its active is misaligned :u
Its been fixed for the next version.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

Is something forcing this mod to use the OPL emulation? How do I disable it? I want my SC-88, damnit!
Gez

Post by Gez »

I don't see any instance of $mididevice in the SNDINFO lump, checking in hocusdoom-01-26-2019.pk3.

And going to the "change game options" menu to set MIDI device to various things show a very clear difference between OPL and my usual setting.
ravage

Post by ravage »

Gez wrote:I don't see any instance of $mididevice in the SNDINFO lump, checking in hocusdoom-01-26-2019.pk3.

And going to the "change game options" menu to set MIDI device to various things show a very clear difference between OPL and my usual setting.
Its all the way at the bottom of sndinfo. I've been debating whether to remove them or not. I had originally set them because OPL with the GENMIDI that hisymak is how they're originally meant to be heard, or at least that's what I know them to sound. But I've had a lot of complaints about it so I dunno. Honestly, it'd be nice if gzdoom had a 'use default' setting and then let you override them yourself.
KynikossDragonn
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

I don't presently have Hocus Pocus at the moment, but did it ever allow you to use General MIDI in it? Because, as far as I know it uses MIDI for everything.

A really really old beta of Hocus Pocus used IMF on the other hand. (But even those old IMF's don't sound like Hocus Pocus with OPL music)

I guess removing those $mididevice declarations out of the bottom of SNDINFO will enable using whatever? That shouldn't interfere with the DMX GENMIDI lump you have in the PK3 I would hope.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

KynikossDragonn wrote:That shouldn't interfere with the DMX GENMIDI lump you have in the PK3 I would hope.
Nope - only OPL is affected by that lump (GZDoom's OPL emulator, or the Sound Blaster setting in vanilla Doom - not that the latter matters here!).
KynikossDragonn
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

For what it's worth, the IMF version of Hocus Pocus's music can be downloaded here: http://www.vgmpf.com/Rips/HocusPocus-DOS.zip

I haven't tried using the IMF soundtrack inside of GZDoom though. They play just fine in adplay without having to put them in a database file so I assume they use the same "clockspeed" as the Commander Keen 4-5 games.

It'd be interesting to include these beta IMFs as a soundtrack option if such a thing is possible to implement in GZDoom.
DEMO183

Post by DEMO183 »

1) Is it possible to hide the counting level timer from view?
2) Can you switch away from the spell powerups to your standard attack, to avoid spending ammo on breakable blocks for instance?
3) Is there any built-in method to "automate" faster spell firing rate, for instance by holding the right mouse?
4) What do the 'weapon state' keybindings do (unmapped by default in the current stable build)?
5) Is there an inventory in the game (since there's a separate 'inventory' sub-menu in the control options)?

Lastly, when do you receive new spells (which can be switched with the number keys)? I've tried to avoid rushing in the case I've misunderstood some core mechanics (see the points 2 and 5).
ravage

Post by ravage »

1) no (you can hide the whole hud but that's about it)
2) no (this is how the original game worked)
3) no (there is an autofire, but its not very quick by default. I might toy with the idea of making it slightly faster based on how much max ammo you have for 1.1)
4) Hocusdoom doesn't use them. Gzdoom provides those keybinds for modders to use for whatever they want.
5) no (another default provided by gzdoom, but hocusdoom doesn't have useable items)

slot 1 is your main spell, slot 2 is [redacted], and slot 3 is [secret]
DEMO183

Post by DEMO183 »

Thank you very much for the reply.
3) no (there is an autofire, but its not very quick by default. I might toy with the idea of making it slightly faster based on how much max ammo you have for 1.1)
Please consider doing so, a dynamic method sounds optimal. Can I adjust the autofire-rate manually by editing the mod (I'd personally prefer something along the lines of 10 shots a second) -- without ever shooting faster than the game otherwise allows of course?
stojan44

Post by stojan44 »

Having issues with the midi device setting. Pretty sure the music was much better in the earlier versions of Hocus Doom. I tried changing the midi devices but i'm not hearing a difference.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yes, the SNDINFO lump enforces use of OPL emulation in the latest version. Cf. a few posts up. You can change that by editing out the offending line, it'll be at the bottom.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Honestly, I think unless it is required to sound correct, mods should not force a specific MIDI synth ever. This is something that's almost guaranteed to draw complaints.
I added the $mididevice option mainly as an end-user option because I know a few MIDIs that just won't play nicely with my preferred synth and I needed the ability to override it only for them.
stojan44

Post by stojan44 »

Yup,that did the trick. Thanks Gez. Switched over to Fluidsynth and that OG music is back. I love it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”