Hocusdoom RELEASED (/idgames pending)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheUltimateDoomer666

Re: Hocus Doom

Post by TheUltimateDoomer666 »

This looks very good! I played the shareware Hocus Pocus a lot and got the full version too. I hope this great mod will continue to be worked on and eventually finished.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I loved the original game and I already love the screenshots as the perfectly transfer the classic 2D feeling into a 3D environment... awesome work ravage!
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I remember seeing this long ago at rf' blog/homepage. Looked sweet back than, looks sweet now.

Yet, I wonder how would it look with enemy sprites done in Heretic/Hexen style... I have a day off tomorrow.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just played the first beta and I have to admit this is the greatest thing since ever! :D Awesome retro-feeling, well transferred into the world of Doom with all the features that the original game had. Every single detail has been converted... I am absolutely impressed!
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

neoworm wrote:I remember seeing this long ago at rf' blog/homepage. Looked sweet back than, looks sweet now.

Yet, I wonder how would it look with enemy sprites done in Heretic/Hexen style... I have a day off tomorrow.
At the very least, take a crack at making those hands look less like a wrinkled, veiny old man's.
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

I must say that only thing that I didn't like was that collecting treasure wasn't as satisfying as in original game or in Doom (etc.), it feels like I have to get exactly in to the center of the treasure to collect it, maybe resizing the radius might help? ;)
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Xeotroid wrote:I must say that only thing that I didn't like was that collecting treasure wasn't as satisfying as in original game or in Doom (etc.), it feels like I have to get exactly in to the center of the treasure to collect it, maybe resizing the radius might help? ;)
I agree, it's really easy to run over gems without collecting them. Leads to losing a bit of time doing nothing as you make sure you collect them all.

Anyway after playing for a while, I loved it. Everything looks so pretty and I missed a bit of button-mashing in my shooting. (Although it's of my understanding that not everyone likes mashing the fire button, but I am personally fine with it). Enemy placement is pretty fun as well.

The eyecandy is just spectacular, special effects feel right, architecture is colorful and pretty. I am specially fond of how smooth the tall mushroom models look, far cry from some really low-poly models out there.

No other complaints aside from the item pickup radius. Although, as a suggestion, I'd make the frames where enemies flash red when hit, to be given the BRIGHT flag, it looks a bit off when they go around dark sectors.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

What is this and why is it so beautiful?
Nash

Post by Nash »

3 complaints so far:

- gem radius too tiny
- you can see enemy info in your HUD even if the monster is behind breakable cubes
- the pixel density of the mushroom model's texture (and possibly others too; I'd have to double check) isn't the same as the other stuff around it (level textures, monster sprites)... they are too smooth. :P Decreasing the textures so that they will appear blockier/more low res would make them blend better with everything else... this is just an opinion

Otherwise... AWESOME
Tux

Post by Tux »

plays very well! :>
ravage

Post by ravage »

Nash wrote: - gem radius too tiny
A lot of people seemed to have this issue. Fixed. Had to rearrange some treasure in levels that suddenly got stuck on a higher ledge than where they were placed. Probably a good thing given that its not really the best of ideas to have treasure so close to a wall that's going to slow you down.
This also has the interesting side effect that you can collect gems hidden by breakable blocks without actually destroying them.
Nash wrote:- you can see enemy info in your HUD even if the monster is behind breakable cubes
Unavoidable given that the breakable blocks are actually models and not level geometry.
Nash wrote:- the pixel density of the mushroom model's texture (and possibly others too; I'd have to double check) isn't the same as the other stuff around it (level textures, monster sprites)... they are too smooth. :P Decreasing the textures so that they will appear blockier/more low res would make them blend better with everything else... this is just an opinion
I'm not really sure this is a major issue. I think the texture resolution is fine.
everamzah

Post by everamzah »

Spoiler: Video preview
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

book marking bump, go amiga, this wad looks amazing as good-miga!

EDIT: apologies, it game almost looked like a amiga game. the graphic was almost like it.
Last edited by Captain J on Sat May 10, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

Except Hocus Pocus wasn't released for the Amiga?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

This is awesome! Great job! I love colorful TCs

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”