EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Coraline

Re: EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Post by Coraline »

Okay, it’s been awhile. life kicked my ass hard.

StroggVorbis, I’m sure you are aware we have been chipping away at bugs via Discord.

Everyone: The most recent development builds from November are in a better state, but I will try and drop a new release candidate (RC3) which fixes a lot. Current devbuilds have glClear issues (removed clear to black but reverted shortly after, oops).

Few interesting things you can expect:
1) TOMl INI for CFG - while it can read and convert the old configs, it’s best to delete the previous and let EDGE generate a new one.
2) inline with above, the cvar system got a total rewrite and now are recorded in the INI properly now, all of them. Console becomes a lot more useful with that, and no discrepancies setting values in Menu/Console. More CVARS are available now.
3) Removed very buggy and very unsafe edge.preset
4) Stripped most of ROTT support so we can make the engine stable enough for another official release. ROTT will resume after that happens.
5) Screen resolution changing is fixed
6) transparent grey box on screen when changing screen res is fixed as well as overall gamma adjustments
7) Fullscreen mode works again and frame rate is much higher than before (duplication of SDL_Renderer state that didn’t need second creation)
8) Improved but not perfect frame rate in some instances, still probably needs more work with EDGE netcode
9) Colormap DDF/ Pause graphic bug fixed from stripping ROTT toplevel for now
10) if not mentioned previously, SIGIL is fully supported
11) lots of behind the scenes fixes and cleanups at engine level esp. with archive handling
12) Minor DDF bugfixes
13) grAb fixes (still need weapon grAB checking)
14) Minor memory leaks in GL/etc patched
15) Slider menu defaults fixed and not out of bounds on default

Some things we will tackle in near future, hope most of these make it in for 2.1.0 final:

0) Proper /base sub directory support as well as fragmented EPKs for supported games
1) proper auto loading for mods (replacing very unsafe preset)
2) Improved IWAD detection
3) terrain.ddf (for now limited to player hitting floor sound effects)
4) better image processing and handling (palette issues will be gone)
5) WAD handling rewrite for ROTT namespace markers
6) Images.DDF could handle raw formats (patches); new type PATCH.
7) OpenAL Audio subsystem
8) OpenGL shader and internal state rewrites
9) Wolf3D support (!)
10) working on glBSP and GWA cache removal in favor of ajBSP. Testing via AJBSP yielded improved frame rates and better BSP trees
11) SDL Kitchensink for video playback (will support all movie formats)
12) shorter intro video, able to call them in Levels.DDF for pre.level
13) input handling improvements, especially for multiplayer and joysticks
14) Improved I_Error handling
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Life has a tendancy to do that, like over and over again. Being able to see through it and still stand tall is probably the ultimate test of character. Anyways, good luck and I'll be checking out the latest builds of the engine for sure.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

StroggVorbis wrote:I'm using the latest devbuild and I still get a pitch black fullscreen, also sometimes the interpolation stops working, making everything appear choppy, despite my FPS still being at 200.
Any idea what's going on?

Edit: The latest devbuild crashes to desktop when picking up an invulnerability sphere. "Colourmap [ALLWHITE] is too small ! (LENGTH too big)"

Also, is there a way to disable the strafe bobbing?

Edit 2: This is probably not correct, but I changed the start parameter in colmap.ddf:

Code: Select all

// --- Powerup effects -------------

// For the invulnerability effect
[ALLWHITE]
lump = "COLORMAP";
start = 0;//32;
length = 1;
At least it doesn't crash now.

Edit 3: Oh, I accidentally saved the game while dead, didn't know this was possible :P
This bug has finally been fixed. @UsernameAK discovered the WAD loading code was wrongly picking up 'colormap.fp' from the archive and actually superseding the regular COLORMAP lump from the WAD itself. Stupid scary bug on my part, but he patched it. So the colormap entry can finally go back to normal (start=32, length=1).

Posting new builds today via DRDTeam with a lot of changes, including our upgraded Renderer (the GL3 path can now be used). So we will need feedback and the usual bug reports as they happen. Thanks for the support everyone.

EDIT: Going to fix the saving while dead bug (did not know that was a thing either :D), and I will enable an option in the menus to disable the Quake bobbing before I upload the builds.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

What's this? A new devbuild of EDGE! That's great news, there hasn't been any updates in forever.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

What's going on with the automap in the latest devbuild, it's like it is having a seizure ?
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Yeah it is definitely seizure inducing. Note: if you have epilepsy do not use the automap lol.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

Sorry to bump, but how do I save my settings? I disable the sound pitching, bloom, and lens distortion, but whenever I start a new game, the settings switch back to on. Why?

Also, when can we expect a new stable release?
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Apologies in advance for bumping but for some reason im getting no sound what so ever is there anyway to fix this?
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Hello? Is anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me. Is anyone home?

All Pink Floyd references aside, has there been any work on a more polished EDGE version going on as of late?

I really do think a community project which highlights EDGE features and encourages mapping for it could really, help bring more mappers to the port.
Even a Community project that added a couple new EDGE enemies and a new weapon or whatever could really show off what EDGE is capable of.
A polished supervised project, which could be uploaded to idgames and act as an inspiration for future EDGE mappers would honestly do the port wonders.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Doom4Ever and Wolfestein 3DGE by Ceejay are two great mods to show off the port. But do they work properly in latest official build?
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Hi all, long time no talk:

Just wanted to say, that I’ve been getting back into active EDGE development (along with cohorts @Lobo and @UsernameAK).

Our focus has been primarily on bugs while winding back some breaking changes introduced over the last ten years.

We released a new 64-but devbuild for Windows and Linux that fixes some major bugs. I’m listing a few here that were tended to in between the last released builds I talked about here. Also, testers using Unix/Linux are welcome as we have auto builds for major Linux distros now (which will make it easier for me not needing to switch back and forth between machines and compilers). MacOSX Mojave+ compatible builds coming any day now, as well as OpenBSD builds (using a VM).

Anywho, here’s the list:

1) SDL2 Video: Fullscreen/Window/BlackScreen/Centered Positioning has been fixed
2) Major long-standing physics bug that prevented proper features like Bouncing has been fixed
3) INI configs improved, working on saving more settings
4) physFS loading code bugs fixed
5) High-DPI awareness
6) Linetype fixes (EV_Teleport)
7) Colormapped sectors for both EDGE/DOOM and UDMF maps work again

It’s recommended, if running older versions using the EDGE CFG format, to delete that and re-generate a new INI configuration automatically.
SabinaArmalite
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by SabinaArmalite »

I'm gonna sound super weird asking about the split screen mode but... how does it work and what can i play on it? and how?
i got a controller plugged in and while i can move the screen and the character it seems to move both characters... that aside the mouse and the keyboard only move one of the 2 characters so that's a win, also would it be possible to make the split screen over and under?
pls don't abandon split screen i live today just so i can play doom mods on split screen tomorrow.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

I really enjoy this source port and really would like to see it used by more people. There are a couple features I'll list below that I think would definitely help make it more mainstream.

If EDGE supported MAPINFO it'd really help bring people to the fold as most other ports support this already.
I'd like to see future versions of EDGE support UDMF mapping and possibly even have a DECORATE parser implemented, even just a decorate lite would really strengthen the port.
Anyways, these are just suggestions and I know it's not that easy to just add in features such as these. I love what you've done with this port and am excited to see future developments.
Gez

Post by Gez »

EDGE already supports UDMF.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

I guess, what I meant to say was further implement UDMF features. From what I gather it implements UDMF but in Doom Format but not the wide spectrum of features covered in UDMF. I've always had issues trying to load true UDMF maps with EDGE and often it outright crashes but maybe I'm missing something.

I guess it's a bold ask but just something to tentatively pick at on the project road map.

Return to “Game Engines”