EDGE 2.1.0 Discussion [RC-1 Released on 10.3.2018]

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: 3DGE 2.0.4 Final Released! (4.26.2016)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Coraline wrote:The second I start removing hacks and stuff is when older stuff will break :-(
This is the story of Doom ports, isn't it? :?

Unfortunately I don't really have any advice to give. This isn't as simple as, say, making a separate render path that doesn't have to cross anything else. New features have this way of interconnecting with old ones in ways you can't prevent. (I've run into this enough in modding environments, but I know it's several times worse in executable code.) So I guess all I can really say is that you've made it this far, so there's always hope.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Coming here for help. Friends and I are making a small map set for Doom II (an episode's worth akin to The Ultimate Doom), we plan to have the secret on MAP04 which goes to MAP09, obviously, ZMAPINFO and EMAPINFO works quite fine, and it seems I have this right for DDFLEVEL, but when I test the map out, the screen melts as if going to another map but the intermission screen stays the same. Note: Testing this out with MAP02, since MAP04 isn't being worked on at the moment. Is this a limitation with 3DGE?

Code: Select all

[MAP02]
LUMPNAME=MAP02;
NAME_GRAPHIC=CWILV01;
DESCRIPTION=Map02Desc;
SKY_TEXTURE=SKY1;
MUSIC_ENTRY=2;
SURROUND_FLAT=GRNROCK;
SPECIAL=NO_ENEMY_STOMP;
NEXT_MAP=MAP03;
SECRET_MAP=MAP09;
PARTIME=90;
EPISODE=HELL_ON_EARTH;
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Do you have the DDF internal or external? Copy of the debug.txt when the map gets changed? That way I can see exactly what is going on...but the code looks fine!

Actually, don't upload debug.txt -- just EDGE2.log, when the first map starts and you go to exit to the "Secret Map", it should give me enough info. Feel free to post in the thread as well.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

MAP09 doesn't exist in the wad yet either, but it should still skip to "The Pit" regardless. Note: The trigger is Boom's W1 Exit (Secret Level), LineDef Action #124. The DEHACKED supplied with the wad is the name of the level when the automap is up, nothing else is in it to change anything (seriously. It's just strings). Also, the DDF is internal for the WAD, if that's what you're asking.
Spoiler:
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Add the DDFLEVL code to the external ./doom_ddf/levels.ddf and let me know if that works first (backup previous one).

I also noticed that the DDF Loading code in the logfile doesn't mention that Levels is being loaded from the WAD (did you make sure to name the internal lump properly)?
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Coraline wrote:I also noticed that the DDF Loading code in the logfile doesn't mention that Levels is being loaded from the WAD (did you make sure to name the internal lump properly)?
DDFLEVEL (I'm using .WAD, so can't be levels.ddf), unless the name is suppose to be something else? SLADE is reporting it to be proper*. Anyways, adding the secret line in doom_ddf\levels.ddf works.

* = I am under the assumption SLADE knows what DDFLEVEL is, unless it's just using DDF as a keyword.

EDIT: DDFLEVL, apparently. Huh. Sorry for having you run around in a circle there for a moment, Coraline. SLADE lied to me. :P
Last edited by Hellser on Mon May 23, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Hellser wrote: EDIT: DDFLEVL, apparently. Huh.
:D

For reference, http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/index.php/LEVELS. Every entry at the top of the article has the lumpname if you wish to load internal DDF's. ^_^

Glad it is working!!
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Yep! I didn't have much reference (nor did I know about 3DGE's new wiki), as most of the information about EDGE's DDF is rather obscure. Now I know there is a wiki for 3DGE. :D
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Hellser wrote:Yep! I didn't have much reference (nor did I know about 3DGE's new wiki), as most of the information about EDGE's DDF is rather obscure. Now I know there is a wiki for 3DGE. :D
I know -- for some reason finding documentation was always really hit-or-miss, so I decided a Wiki would be the best place to update and host DDF/RTS/COAL/etc stuff!

It is still a WIP, so some pages might have weird formatting or other stuff. I wish I had more time to prettify it -- someday :wub:
Gez

Post by Gez »

Hellser wrote:unless it's just using DDF as a keyword.
That's it.

Code: Select all

// EDGE DDF lumps and files
	ddf: text
	{
		name = "EDGE DDF";
		match_extorname = 1;
		match_name = "ddf*";
		match_ext = "ddf", "ldf";
	}
If an entry has a name that starts with DDF, and/or the extension .ddf or .ldf, then it'll be treated as being an EDGE definition file.
ShawnLG

Post by ShawnLG »

Hello do you have license for whole the stuff you copied from doom and doom2 wad? Because you suggest that you can play this free and do not need any doom/doom2 wads. Explain or be sure I will contact ID in name of justice.

(This post was NOT made by the person who owns this account. The poster's IP has now been banned. Please stop doing this, whoever you are. -ww)
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

What are you talking about? You can build a game from the ground up -- the source code is GPL licensed. Not sure what the nature of your question was there?
kodi

Post by kodi »

It's the same troll as previously, under yet another stolen account.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by wildweasel »

kodi wrote:It's the same troll as previously, under yet another stolen account.
That is indeed the case. The IP responsible has now been banned.

[edit] for real this time.
[edit edit] A bunch of nonsense involving yet more hijacked accounts got put in the garbage bin where it (and whoever is responsible) belonged.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Who is this [these?] person(s) and where did they come from?

On a side note, I ended up getting ICD-SE running through 3DGE 2.1.0 quite painlessly. :-)
Last edited by Coraline on Tue May 24, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Game Engines”