3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Software projects like source ports (3DGE, Eternity, etc), launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

EDGE Demo Support (EDM)

Postby Coraline » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:55 pm

VGA wrote:Serious bug in EDGE-2.1.0pre-501-g41c4e21

In NERVE.WAD MAP04, the texture on the exit room door is somehow offset. In Gzdoombuilder and Doom Retro it looks OK.

Will look into it. There's no official support for Nerve yet, but I'll add it very soon.

For the curious:

So, making a new devbuild - this one has Demo record and playback support!

It manages its own demo format, named EDM. And I'm working on converting regular LMP demos over to the new system (an internal converter will pop it into the EDM format). Right now its a WIP - you have to exit the game once you are done with the current demo. Map changes work, but playback won't swap the level.

New command-line options are:

-playdemo (Plays back an EDM)
-record (Records your demo)
-time demo (for stats)

Look for this very soon! :-)
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby riderr3 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:25 am

My antivirus prohibit to download 3DGE. I'll just open it with 7ZIP in temp folder and extract files :P
User avatar
riderr3
Keeping it going
 
Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Location: Deepest reaches

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby NeuralStunner » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Something I didn't find mentioned on the wiki: Does this support NPO2 flats? (I have at least a couple 96x96 images that I'd rather not scale down...)
User avatar
NeuralStunner
THE WORLD HAS BECOME A PLACE
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Location: traveling around inside a hug

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby Coraline » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:06 pm

@NeuralStunner: if they are not NPO2, I believe EDGE will either automatically resize them or try to render them anyway. If you have odd-size flat sizes that aren't supported, I
can easily add their dimensions into the engine.

So, Test4 is coming soon -- among lots of changes (ROQ is finally working 100%); revamped WAV handling code also introducing a low-pass filter (so 8bit sounds don't sound
too hissy or ugly due to resizing, courtesy of Icculus), smoother vsync and swapinterval rendering code, more shaders such as FXAA, and of course more bugfixes for certain
things that really needed them. Also DEMO support. =)

This time, we will be providing a binary for Linux users as well.

On the roadmap -> 2.1.0 Final, I'm still working on networking fixups, more main menu customizations, better error handling, and Wolf3D/ROTT stuff.

@CeeJay: we also fixed the glBSP problem with not generating nodes inside of archives (though this was working before, it didn't work with custom maptypes defined in LEVELS.DDF).
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby Voltcom9 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:21 pm

^
TEST 4 is being released soon? Excellent! That's fantastic news!
User avatar
Voltcom9
Hurry quick! Cast the damn fireball!
 
Joined: 27 May 2016
Location: the Frozen North.

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby NeuralStunner » Tue May 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Coraline wrote:if they are not NPO2, I believe EDGE will either automatically resize them or try to render them anyway. If you have odd-size flat sizes that aren't supported, I can easily add their dimensions into the engine.
The only things I have so far: A 96x96 liquid texture from Hexen 2, and a few 1:2 flats. (E.G. 128x256 - To work around an old, oft-regretted feature in ZDoom.)

Alternatively, I might be fine throwing all the new flats into the texture namespace, since I've found that 3DGE supports that as well. The only thing I'm unsure of is whether animations will work properly in that case. (Does ANIMATED warping only work on flats?)
User avatar
NeuralStunner
THE WORLD HAS BECOME A PLACE
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Location: traveling around inside a hug

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby CeeJay » Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Coraline wrote:@NeuralStunner: if they are not NPO2, I believe EDGE will either automatically resize them or try to render them anyway. If you have odd-size flat sizes that aren't supported, I
can easily add their dimensions into the engine.

So, Test4 is coming soon -- among lots of changes (ROQ is finally working 100%); revamped WAV handling code also introducing a low-pass filter (so 8bit sounds don't sound
too hissy or ugly due to resizing, courtesy of Icculus), smoother vsync and swapinterval rendering code, more shaders such as FXAA, and of course more bugfixes for certain
things that really needed them. Also DEMO support. =)

This time, we will be providing a binary for Linux users as well.

On the roadmap -> 2.1.0 Final, I'm still working on networking fixups, more main menu customizations, better error handling, and Wolf3D/ROTT stuff.

@CeeJay: we also fixed the glBSP problem with not generating nodes inside of archives (though this was working before, it didn't work with custom maptypes defined in LEVELS.DDF).


Good news. Will the other issues with the archive format be fixed too? Like how resources sharing names with vanilla being ignored (TROO####, BON2####, etc.).
CeeJay
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2010

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Something else I've run into: To properly make new liquids for Heretic, I'll need to define splashes & floor clipping for them. Is there a way to do this yet?
User avatar
NeuralStunner
THE WORLD HAS BECOME A PLACE
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Location: traveling around inside a hug

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby Coraline » Mon May 21, 2018 11:50 am

NeuralStunner wrote:Something else I've run into: To properly make new liquids for Heretic, I'll need to define splashes & floor clipping for them. Is there a way to do this yet?

Not yet -- we are actually working on a new DDF called DDFTERRAIN, which will allow you to define such a thing on a more explicit basis.

So, I've released another Devbuild that I would really like end-users to test out. Among small stuff, I've restored the PointToAngle code, restored the old BOUNCE behavior,
and made some additional fixes here and there. It's coming along, but I definitely need help testing it. Getting down to the grind here! Also, we've upgraded to the newest
SDL2 and fixed audio under Windows.

EDGE-2.1.0-r7804

The next devbuild will have more important things fixed (images not overriding properly) and demo support (and hopefully x64 builds!!!!), so stay tuned :wub:

A Note About Bug Reporting:

PLEASE, if you are reporting bugs, make a small example map showing the issue -- we simply do not have time to test huge modifications. Just isolate the code or mod
to something that we can quickly inspect and correct, otherwise we might never encounter the problem as we just don't have the time. Just describing the problem is not
enough for us -- we MUST have an example that we can use which replicates your issue! Thanks =)
User avatar
Coraline
3DGE Developer
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Location: California

Re: 3DGE 2.1.0 Test3 Released (12.13.2017)

Postby NeuralStunner » Wed May 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Coraline wrote:Not yet -- we are actually working on a new DDF called DDFTERRAIN, which will allow you to define such a thing on a more explicit basis.
Sweet! Looks like I'll have cross-port support out of the gate, as soon as I'm ready to push this pack. :D

(The one other thing I'm looking at for the future is decals for flags and whatnot, to save on ridiculous amounts of texture compositing.)
User avatar
NeuralStunner
THE WORLD HAS BECOME A PLACE
 
 
 
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Location: traveling around inside a hug

Previous

Return to Software and Ports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest