GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, UPDATE 1/12/2023 [V1.5.2]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16859
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.5]

Post by Captain J »

Naniyue wrote:Maybe this weapon could be added to the fantasy section of AEOD?

Also, some of the sound effects are pleasantly familiar.
IF, this mod were used to be a official video game that made from actual game developers, through. I never seen any of indie games or mods were included to aeod or other crossover stuff.

Better yet, ask this to the creators of the aeod or make a addon for it. And yes, this mod used a lot of capcom's awesome 90's era sfx.
User avatar
TerminusEst13
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.5]

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Captain J wrote:I never seen any of indie games or mods were included to aeod or other crossover stuff.
Actually, tons of Demon Eclipse stuff made it in. Likewise all the Happy Time Circus 2 custom weapons made it in. The Psychic shotgun got in as well!
User avatar
Captain J
 
 
Posts: 16859
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 am
Location: A Year old Pizza Box

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.5]

Post by Captain J »

Oops, didn't played aeod because of fatal errors for a while, but I'm not sure that another mods will be in furthermore.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

aaaannnd updated, we're steadily getting closer to v1.0, and I think I can safely say mechanically Blaz is pretty much finished, all that's left is some audio and visual aesthetics
User avatar
DoomRater
Posts: 8265
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:21 am
Location: WATR HQ

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by DoomRater »

With your permission I'd like to tighten up that gauntlet's charge blast so it's tic sensitive.
User avatar
Hetdegon
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:55 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: Chireiden

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Hetdegon »

Just a minor flaw in the update, the start screen still shows 0.9.5.
New sub-items are so fun. Got the hammer and it was great happy fun time.
User avatar
Cryomundus
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Cryomundus »

Gonna say, like most of the stuff, but the fact that you can so easily throw away your sword is a huge downside, as you trade not only your sword, but the ability to power up sub-weapons and use Shining Knight. (I do know you can remake the sword, btw) You're fists are kinda shit really, since you don't really get any sort of benefit. I mean, if you still had access to powering up sub-weapons and shining knight, it'd be OK, but since it takes sword mana to make another sword, it's not really useful. It's a neat thing with a MASSIVE downside. Maybe cheapen the cost to remake the sword? Since it's a pretty vital tool to have, compared to your fists.

Let me tell you, its a WORLD of difference if you play with the sword vs the fists. ESPECIALLY if you run into any Cybs/Masterminds. If you've got no sword and no mana, you're screwed. Or a Arch-Vile horde. Shining knight is literally the only way I've been able to survive 8-10 Arch-Viles released at once.

Love everything else, especially the sub-items! Though, it kinda sucks if you get the hammer, and then toss it off the level by accident. (some levels have death pits/traps, so say goodbye to that hammer if you toss it there!) Maybe have it slooowly gravitate back to you once you toss it? Dunno if that's possible tho. The mini-cube/chests are especially handy tho, plus, its actually worth finding secrets with these added in!

Edit: Oh yeah, graphical bug, the turret icon for the powered up gauntlet is replaced by the old Bed O' Spikes icon. Or has it always been that and I've never noticed till now?

(Note: playing this pure, since I still have to re-make those add-ons btw.)
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

DoomRater wrote:With your permission I'd like to tighten up that gauntlet's charge blast so it's tic sensitive.
Permission granted. I'm all for more polish

Cryomundus wrote:Gonna say, like most of the stuff, but the fact that you can so easily throw away your sword is a huge downside, as you trade not only your sword, but the ability to power up sub-weapons and use Shining Knight. (I do know you can remake the sword, btw) You're fists are kinda shit really, since you don't really get any sort of benefit. I mean, if you still had access to powering up sub-weapons and shining knight, it'd be OK, but since it takes sword mana to make another sword, it's not really useful. It's a neat thing with a MASSIVE downside. Maybe cheapen the cost to remake the sword? Since it's a pretty vital tool to have, compared to your fists.

Let me tell you, its a WORLD of difference if you play with the sword vs the fists. ESPECIALLY if you run into any Cybs/Masterminds. If you've got no sword and no mana, you're screwed. Or a Arch-Vile horde. Shining knight is literally the only way I've been able to survive 8-10 Arch-Viles released at once.

Love everything else, especially the sub-items! Though, it kinda sucks if you get the hammer, and then toss it off the level by accident. (some levels have death pits/traps, so say goodbye to that hammer if you toss it there!) Maybe have it slooowly gravitate back to you once you toss it? Dunno if that's possible tho. The mini-cube/chests are especially handy tho, plus, its actually worth finding secrets with these added in!

Edit: Oh yeah, graphical bug, the turret icon for the powered up gauntlet is replaced by the old Bed O' Spikes icon. Or has it always been that and I've never noticed till now?

(Note: playing this pure, since I still have to re-make those add-ons btw.)
I probably should reduce the cost of resummoning. But I'd need to reduce the power of the charged sword throw attack. I'm actually not happy with the effect of the charged throw when it hits stuff

As for losing hammers, well throw them with a little more caution. They're incredibly powerful and if I give them a fail safe then they'd be crazy overpowered
User avatar
Cryomundus
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Cryomundus »

Tbh, I'm not really fond of the "Throw an exploding sword" bit, as it overlaps with the gauntlets charge shot.

Edit: Are your sub-items supposed to reset to 1 upon entering a new map? I had 3 hammers, 3 mini-cubes, 1 armor amulet, and the rod, but when I went to the next map, I had only 1 hammer, 1 mini-cube, 1 armor amulet, and the rod. I had kept the mini's as to try a roulette the next map to see if I get anything good/double'd for that map so I'm just curious.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Cryomundus wrote:Tbh, I'm not really fond of the "Throw an exploding sword" bit, as it overlaps with the gauntlets charge shot.

Edit: Are your sub-items supposed to reset to 1 upon entering a new map? I had 3 hammers, 3 mini-cubes, 1 armor amulet, and the rod, but when I went to the next map, I had only 1 hammer, 1 mini-cube, 1 armor amulet, and the rod. I had kept the mini's as to try a roulette the next map to see if I get anything good/double'd for that map so I'm just curious.
The sub items are definitely not supposed to reset when you enter a stage. That's... Odd. Also I'm open for ideas for a charged throw
User avatar
Mikk-
Posts: 2272
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: Somewhere off Kanagawa

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Mikk- »

To fix that you'll need [wiki]Actor properties#Inventory.InterHubAmount[/wiki]
User avatar
Cryomundus
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Cryomundus »

You could probably do a Wind Waker style boomerang, where you can target about 5 or so monsters and have it bounce between then for a set amount of time/bounces.
User avatar
Combine_Kegan
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 am
Location: Hopelessly stuck in the past

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Cryomundus wrote:You could probably do a Wind Waker style boomerang, where you can target about 5 or so monsters and have it bounce between then for a set amount of time/bounces.
A bouncing sword that aims directly for monsters? That sounds pretty badass, I'd need to figure out how to make that work
User avatar
Cryomundus
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:33 pm

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Cryomundus »

Found another bug: The midcharge shot of the gauntlet will give 20 mystic force back if you shoot spellcubes/chests. None of the other shot's do this btw.
Xanirus
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:43 am

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, [V0.9.6]

Post by Xanirus »

I have to say, this is probably one of the best mods I've played. It feels like an old NES/SNES fantasy sidescroller done in a 3D space.(well...as 3D as far as the Doom engine is concerned.) It does have a bit of a learning curve though, for instance it took me a while to figure out the interface.

On a side note, does anyone know of a fantasy-style texture set out there to run with this mod? I only found this, but all it seems to do is change the colors of the default Doom 2 textures. I'm probably using it wrong though, (running it together with GMOTA in ZDL)

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/5 ... ture-pack/

Also, it seems those purple orbs encased in the gold frames that enemies don't seem to do anything yet. There's also a sub-item called the portacube that seems to look like the same thing, but when I use it it just drops the item and it moves around. EDIT: Nevermind, they were containers to shoot. Didn't think of that since the chests were kind of the same thing.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”