Brutal PSX Doom Mod Merge

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
swc132994

Re: Brutal PSX Doom Mod Merge

Post by swc132994 »

I managed to find a way to enable blood on walls, I found this with help from the PSX doom forum and the wikia.
In the pk3 archive there is a file called ANIMDEFS.TXT. In this file decals are turned off by default therefore for on each line where there is a texture you have to add to the text "allowdecals".
example from the text file, I have added the words in Magenta:

texture 64DOOR01 allowdecals
pic 1 tics 9
pic 1 tics 9

texture 64DOOR02 allowdecals
pic 1 tics 9
pic 1 tics 9

After going through the text file give it a save and try PSX Brutal doom. Decals on walls should be enabled, this includes blood from the Brutal doom mod.
BonusChild

Post by BonusChild »

I'd like to start by saying this is THE BEST. I used to always play Brutal Doom with PSX TC and you merged them amazingly. Thank you for that. One thing though. One thing that bugged me that BD wasn't compatible with PSX was the lack of water effects that BD had. Sorry if someone had already mentioned this, I didn't read every post. But in a future update could you look into fixing the water/blood/lava/toxic waste effects? If you could that would make this almost perfect.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

BonusChild wrote:I'd like to start by saying this is THE BEST. I used to always play Brutal Doom with PSX TC and you merged them amazingly. Thank you for that. One thing though. One thing that bugged me that BD wasn't compatible with PSX was the lack of water effects that BD had. Sorry if someone had already mentioned this, I didn't read every post. But in a future update could you look into fixing the water/blood/lava/toxic waste effects? If you could that would make this almost perfect.
I think you'll find that this fits with what you're asking; http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... patability
dbj87jb

Post by dbj87jb »

I've only downloaded Brutal Doom a few days ago, I've completed Doom 1 & 2, then saw this today. The only way I've been able to run Brutal Doom is by dragging it onto ZDoom first (Or dragging it with Ultimate Doom to get that to work together).

I've downloaded the PSX Mod Merge and can't run it with Doom 2 & Brutal Doom. I get the error message below. When drag/dropping both files onto ZDoom

Script error, "Playstation Doom For Brutal Doom Final Version.pk3:psx_brutal_doom_actors.txt" line 15:
Parent type 'DeadDemon1' not found in DeadNigtmareDemon
Script error, "Playstation Doom For Brutal Doom Final Version.pk3:psx_brutal_doom_actors.txt" line 52:
Parent type 'DeadDemon1' not found in DeadNightmareDemonHalf
Script error, "Playstation Doom For Brutal Doom Final Version.pk3:psx_brutal_doom_actors.txt" line 76:
Parent type 'DeadDemon1' not found in DeadNightmareDemonHalf23
Script error, "Playstation Doom For Brutal Doom Final Version.pk3:psx_brutal_doom_actors.txt" line 100:
Parent type 'DeadDemon1' not found in DeadNightmareDemonNoArm
Script error, "Playstation Doom For Brutal Doom Final Version.pk3:psx_brutal_doom_actors.txt" line 124:
Parent type 'DeadDemon1' not found in DeadNightmareDemonNoHead
Attempt to get invalid state Death from actor VeryDeadMarine.
Attempt to get invalid state Death from actor VeryVeryDeadMarine.
Attempt to get invalid state Death.ExplosiveImpact from actor BullDemon.
Attempt to get invalid state Death.ExplosiveImpact from actor Spectro.
Bad hex number: no
Attempt to get invalid state Death.SSG from actor TehArchvile.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

dbj87jb wrote:snip
Brutal DOOM and the PSX Merge don't work very well in ZDoom itself. Well, Brutal DOOM actually does in newer ZDoom builds, but not the PSX Brutal DOOM mod.

I would try updating/grabbing GZDoom 1.8.10 or one of the 2.x builds if your PC has OpenGL 3.x.
m4lmaster

Post by m4lmaster »

Devianteist wrote:
BonusChild wrote:I'd like to start by saying this is THE BEST. I used to always play Brutal Doom with PSX TC and you merged them amazingly. Thank you for that. One thing though. One thing that bugged me that BD wasn't compatible with PSX was the lack of water effects that BD had. Sorry if someone had already mentioned this, I didn't read every post. But in a future update could you look into fixing the water/blood/lava/toxic waste effects? If you could that would make this almost perfect.
I think you'll find that this fits with what you're asking; http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... patability
appriciate the shout out there buddy (am prime79) im still looking on how to replace the Archviles with the original meathooks as they were supposto be in PSX but, unfortunately, have not remotely come up with a way besides removing archviles completely. otherwise everything works 110%. hopefully the guy who owns this thread knows how to do that :D i originally used this one here but, this one has brutal doom built in, not so fun when you wanna use custom editions. EDIT: also, i forgot. i completely went through and added allow-decals to all textures, and because the custom water effects are there, the water absorbs blood properly. playing without i do believe will have a issue absorbing blood. its been a while since i ran this version
dbj87jb

Post by dbj87jb »

Thanks for the help. Downloaded both links from Devianteist & M4lmastet it works perfectly now. :)

Can't open it with GZDoom (couldn't open Brutal Doom on it's own with it) but it's now running properly on ZDoom and that's good enough for me. Loved the PS1 version of Doom and now it's gotten a lot better. PC does have OpenGL 3.x.but last year my HD graphics card buggered up (Used to be able to run games like Skyrim & Doom 3 (And the not as good as the original BFG edition lol)) so that obviously has messed something else it's settings up too.

Anyway, thanks again, Really appreciate the help.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Not a problem DBJ87JB.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

This is kind of ironic to me, because I remember a time on the Doomworld forums when Sergeant Mark called me an idiot for thinking Doom should be more akin to PSX Doom (which is to say, not all about loud Slayer music and 80's action movie one-liners).

The idea is promising though! I always enjoyed the sector light effects of PSX Doom.
m4lmaster

Post by m4lmaster »

the sector light effects of PSX Doom should be a normal thing in wads now, IMO it beat Doom64 by a longshot but Doom64 did give more of a "all alone, no hope, you and your gun" vibe
BFG

Post by BFG »

this is cool, we need a Brutal Doom 64 next, then we can all be happy.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

BFG wrote:this is cool, we need a Brutal Doom 64 next, then we can all be happy.
Good luck with that. :(
Punchline

Post by Punchline »

Can someone help me out here? I cannot, for the life of me, get this thing running properly, because every time I try it spits out this error message-

" Script error, "BrutalPSXDoom_1_0.pk3:animdefs.txt" line 1799:
Unknown texture SLIME04 "

Now, I've tried everything- going back to previous versions of this mod and previous versions of brutal doom, and it's just not working. Any help or feedback, even if it's just to tell me how dumb I am (because I know this error is probably on my end) would be greatly appreciated.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Punchline wrote:Can someone help me out here? I cannot, for the life of me, get this thing running properly, because every time I try it spits out this error message-

" Script error, "BrutalPSXDoom_1_0.pk3:animdefs.txt" line 1799:
Unknown texture SLIME04 "

Now, I've tried everything- going back to previous versions of this mod and previous versions of brutal doom, and it's just not working. Any help or feedback, even if it's just to tell me how dumb I am (because I know this error is probably on my end) would be greatly appreciated.
Are you using one of the latest versions of GZDoom? 1.8.10 or one of the 2.x builds are usually ideal for running PSX and Brutal DOOM mods.
Punchline

Post by Punchline »

I tried both the newest version and the older version. Both have the same result. And if I try to boot up PSX BD in conjunction with any other mods, it's this half-baked mess, with sprites going back and forth between animation from the original to Brutal Doom and back. Which is a shame, because I had hoped it'd help.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”