Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
edward850
Posts: 5886
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by edward850 »

Hornetzero wrote: but since this was intended for Gzdoom,
We are talking about this wad, right? Because I'm interested as to why you seem to think this.
User avatar
Bitterman
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:06 pm
Location: Stranded on Lh'owon

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Bitterman »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:It wouldn't be Strife, then, would it? Strife isn't a full-out run-and-gun shooter like Doom.
And I Strife's gameplay is very fun, what makes it boring? The only time I remember being bored was the Sewers, but that was from being lost, and I know my way now.
I would say the combat was okay, but it lacked. The sewers were fatally boring and painful, I'm surprised how I even got past it.
User avatar
Csonicgo
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:28 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Csonicgo »

Hornetzero wrote:but since this was intended for Gzdoom
:|

I can't respond to that. I'm starting to think you're trolling, because this PWAD was made for Vanilla Doom.

And ambushes, especially of the teleporter/trap door variety, are classic Doom. If your weapons mod makes ambushes harder, then blame the mod, not the mapset.
User avatar
Hornetzero
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 am
Location: Twighlight zone

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Hornetzero »

:|

I can't respond to that. I'm starting to think you're trolling, because this PWAD was made for Vanilla Doom.
Look old man... this is the "Zdoom" forum. Gzdoom IS zdoom, and since the creator put this upfront here without any specific claim to how it should be played, and the fact that around 80% or more of this forum uses Gzdoom, It should go without saying that this has Gzdoom as one of its intended platforms.
And ambushes, especially of the teleporter/trap door variety, are classic Doom. If your weapons mod makes ambushes harder, then blame the mod, not the mapset.
First off, call that weapon mod by what it is, i.e. "BRUTAL DOOM SE".

Second, I don't recall such ambushes even in Doom 2. Name me one instance of such a scenario. What I do recall in the original Doom 2, are cool things like the Spider mastermind vs Cyberdemon fight in Gotcha and the memorable Cyberdemon slaughtering Barons left and right in Tricks and Traps. There are probably even more of those, but I can't recall all of them at the moment. What I can tell you is that they are not present in this mod, and hence, this map set kinda misses that unique Doom 2 special feel that was present in a handful of maps in the original D2.

Third, Brutal Doom SE has ways to compensate for most of the raise in difficulty. The grenade alternate from the rocket launcher comes to mind, along with the Mancubus "mortar" bomb that easily burns anything standing on any plane in game. Vanilla Doom doesn't have any of that, so the player is still likely to get his ass kicked in most of these traps.
User avatar
Scripten
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Scripten »

Hornetzero wrote: Look old man... this is the "Zdoom" forum. Gzdoom IS zdoom, and since the creator put this upfront here without any specific claim to how it should be played, and the fact that around 80% or more of this forum uses Gzdoom, It should go without saying that this has Gzdoom as one of its intended platforms.
Either the ignorance or the troll is strong in this one. *Grabs the popcorn*
User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 3862
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by esselfortium »

D2TWID is a vanilla Doom project. Given the project's goal, there was no other possible target port. It was designed for vanilla (and of course Chocolate Doom) first and foremost. Of course you can play it in ZDoom, but the same goes for virtually any other vanilla wad. That obviously doesn't mean that any of those wads were intended for jumping, crouching, or any other ZDoom features.
Hornetzero wrote:Second, I don't recall such ambushes even in Doom 2. Name me one instance of such a scenario.
The first one that comes to mind for me is when The Factory teleports you into a tiny space surrounded by four imps with no warning. Doom 2 definitely has this stuff -- that's the reason we put it in D2TWID.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21584
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10 22H2, Win11 22H2, macOS 11.7
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by wildweasel »

Hornetzero wrote:Look old man... this is the "Zdoom" forum. Gzdoom IS zdoom, and since the creator put this upfront here without any specific claim to how it should be played, and the fact that around 80% or more of this forum uses Gzdoom, It should go without saying that this has Gzdoom as one of its intended platforms.
Not necessarily. This forum may be called "ZDoom" but there are no hard rules stating that people may not post WADs for vanilla or other source ports. Back to Saturn X was posted here. Samsara was posted here, and that primarily targets Zandronum, last I recall hearing.

You are being far too aggressive in "defending" yourself here. I would like to kindly suggest you back off.
User avatar
Xaser
 
 
Posts: 10771
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:15 pm

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Xaser »

Hornetzero wrote:Look old man... this is the "Zdoom" forum. Gzdoom IS zdoom, and since the creator put this upfront here without any specific claim to how it should be played, and the fact that around 80% or more of this forum uses Gzdoom, It should go without saying that this has Gzdoom as one of its intended platforms.
Are you trying to imply that if a wad is posted on ZDF, it's required to be Brutal Doom-compatible?

If so, I suppose that transitively means that it's also required to be compatible with any mod, meaning I ought to also be able to play it with Hideous Destructor and AEons of Death as well as BD. But wait, if any mod is supposed to be compatible with any other mod, wouldn't Hideous Destructor have to be compatible with AEoD? And wouldn't...

Shit, now I gotta go make NecroDoom compatible with Project MSX and Russian Overkill. Be back in a few weeks...
User avatar
Marnetmar
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Marnetmar »

I just wanted you all to know that I love each and every one of you <3
User avatar
Hornetzero
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 am
Location: Twighlight zone

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Hornetzero »

D2TWID is a vanilla Doom project. Given the project's goal, there was no other possible target port. It was designed for vanilla (and of course Chocolate Doom) first and foremost. Of course you can play it in ZDoom, but the same goes for virtually any other vanilla wad. That obviously doesn't mean that any of those wads were intended for jumping, crouching, or any other ZDoom features.
In that case,my score for this goes from 8/10 to an "intended" 5/10. Sorry, but all things said and done, that's my conclusive opinion. I'm just not that old-school.
The first one that comes to mind for me is when The Factory teleports you into a tiny space surrounded by four imps with no warning. Doom 2 definitely has this stuff -- that's the reason we put it in D2TWID.
Well then, great job, upgrading that feature into something even more challenging. You have definitely made it harder than it use to be (with or without mods).
Not necessarily. This forum may be called "ZDoom" but there are no hard rules stating that people may not post WADs for vanilla or other source ports. Back to Saturn X was posted here. Samsara was posted here, and that primarily targets Zandronum, last I recall hearing.

You are being far too aggressive in "defending" yourself here. I would like to kindly suggest you back off.
Fine. But the same should go for Ghostbreed-esque troll posts like this one:
Either the ignorance or the troll is strong in this one. *Grabs the popcorn*
Are you trying to imply that if a wad is posted on ZDF, it's required to be Brutal Doom-compatible?

If so, I suppose that transitively means that it's also required to be compatible with any mod, meaning I ought to also be able to play it with Hideous Destructor and AEons of Death as well as BD. But wait, if any mod is supposed to be compatible with any other mod, wouldn't Hideous Destructor have to be compatible with AEoD? And wouldn't...

Shit, now I gotta go make NecroDoom compatible with Project MSX and Russian Overkill. Be back in a few weeks...
I did not say that. Gzdoom doesn't really count as a mod, but more so as an upgraded engine.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21584
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10 22H2, Win11 22H2, macOS 11.7
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by wildweasel »

Hornetzero wrote:Fine. But the same should go for Ghostbreed-esque troll posts like this one:
Either the ignorance or the troll is strong in this one. *Grabs the popcorn*
Sorry, but I don't concur with your viewpoint here.
User avatar
Freya Mánibrandr
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Freya Mánibrandr »

HornetZero, first off, you shouldn't judge a mapset by how it plays with a mod, especially with mods that have no respect for vanilla doom balance like Brutal Dumb. Secondly, you knew that you're stepping on a few toes by making those posts, I can tell that you're aware of the shit you're flinging here, what did you expect as a response and what do you hope to accomplish by acting like an immature child when someone calls you out on your BS? Finally, you're wrong. What kind of Doom 2 have you been playing? Doom has always been about Tricks and Traps.

I also should point out that in accusing others of being like Ghostbreed-esque, you're being a Ghostbreed-tier troll yourself. You might want to back off from this thread if you're not fond of the idea of taking a vacation from this forums.
User avatar
Xaser
 
 
Posts: 10771
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:15 pm

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by Xaser »

@Hornetzero: I see you've missed/ignored the legitimate question I had in my post. The rest of it, though obviously satirical, is a logical continuation of that fact given that the answer is "yes," which all evidence points to at the moment. Either you meant something else and we ought to clarify what it is, or I'll have to conclude that you're really pulling for me to finish that Pirate Doom compatibility patch for Psychic.


[Though now that I say this, that might not be all too terrible of an idea given that Pirate Doom is pretty rockin'. Fittingness of the mod aside, of course...]
User avatar
twinkieman93
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by twinkieman93 »

Xaser wrote:@Hornetzero: I see you've missed/ignored the legitimate question I had in my post. The rest of it, though obviously satirical, is a logical continuation of that fact given that the answer is "yes," which all evidence points to at the moment. Either you meant something else and we ought to clarify what it is, or I'll have to conclude that you're really pulling for me to finish that Pirate Doom compatibility patch for Psychic.


[Though now that I say this, that might not be all too terrible of an idea given that Pirate Doom is pretty rockin'. Fittingness of the mod aside, of course...]
Psychic goes with everything because if it doesn't feel like it should work, you can just say it's a fever dream brought on by the flagrant abuse of psionic powers and demonic artifacts the protagonist engages in.

In any case, let me throw my hat into the ring here by saying this: Hornet, you are far out of your depth. Nobody else in this thread had said anything that is remotely in agreement with anything you've said, and mods have posted twice now. When you see a mod appear in an argument, they're there with their hammer in hand, and they're itchin' to bust some kneecaps. You haven't gotten any actual warnings yet, but you don't have to get warned before you get banned. Food for thought right there.

Can't you see that even if you firmly believe in what you're posting, not a single person has chimed in on YOUR side of this petty squabble? It's okay to speak your mind, but when it becomes clear that no one else's mind is speaking the same thing, you need to just stop posting. Cowardly? Maybe. But failure to recognize when it's time to cut your losses and run has gotten many people banned, if not immediately, then eventually.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21584
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10 22H2, Win11 22H2, macOS 11.7
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released!

Post by wildweasel »

You're a little bit off the mark, Twinkie. The problem here is not what hornet is declaring as his opinion, it is how he is choosing to argue for it. I'm not about to tell anybody that they're not allowed to say that a set of maps is too hard for them, but what I don't like seeing is when people decide to be jerks about it. The reason I haven't issued any formal warnings yet is because, well, it hasn't really gotten that bad in here yet, compared to other instances I've seen.

So, no, nobody's on the fast track to a ban just yet. I'll let you know if you're close.

Return to “Levels”