3xBR-noblend Sprite Upscales [Update: It's getting BRUTAL!]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
m4lmaster

Re: 3xBR-noblend Sprite Upscales [Update: It's getting BRUTA

Post by m4lmaster »

heres that brutal addon link for you guys sense all the other links are dead :D https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/176 ... nm12v1.pk3
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

Immortal Destroyer wrote:I forgot to tell about this mod; Awesome work. I don't think it's pretty needed in OpenGL users, just use HQ4X and the sprites will look absolutely the same.
just wanna add that I cannot agree with that statement. the edge interpolation of xBR is definitely superior and the difference to hq4x is clearly visible.
otherwise I wouldn't have made these sprite upscales in the first place. here is a direct comparison:

I guess I don't have to tell you which one is which :mrgreen:
xBR outperforms hqNx even at a lower scale factor easily.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Sp00kyFox wrote:here is a direct comparison
Why does the rightmost look like an upscaled 3xbr instead of a 4xbr?
Now that's more like it.

XBR performs extremely well once you actually know what goes into low-resolution spriting.
Which is an assload of tricks to make it LOOK like it has certain details while it doesn't, just look at the two merged teeth to the left of the left big tooth.
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

Blox wrote:Why does the rightmost look like an upscaled 3xbr instead of a 4xbr?
well, because it is 3xBR.
Blox wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/631 ... scales.png
Now that's more like it.
not really. I guess you used the tool ImageResizer for that. a few things are wrong with that comparison. first thing is that the xBR implementation there is only lvl3 and not lvl4. second point: xBR leads to color blendings unless you use the noblend variant which produces jagged edges at even scale factors. your result doesn't use the original color palette anymore (it uses 1289 colors instead of the original 103). which brings me to the last point, this sprite of the cacodemon uses some blackish rgb(31,23,11) as transparency. in combination with the color blendings you get these dark pixels at the edge of the sprite. which disqualifies itself for usage in game.

I made a comparison with the different xBR variants to demonstrate the differences:

3xBR lvl4 noblend is the one used in the sprite packs of this thread.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

VERY impressive comparison!!
Immortal Destroyer

Post by Immortal Destroyer »

Sp00kyFox wrote:
Immortal Destroyer wrote:I forgot to tell about this mod; Awesome work. I don't think it's pretty needed in OpenGL users, just use HQ4X and the sprites will look absolutely the same.
just wanna add that I cannot agree with that statement. the edge interpolation of xBR is definitely superior and the difference to hq4x is clearly visible.
otherwise I wouldn't have made these sprite upscales in the first place. here is a direct comparison:

I guess I don't have to tell you which one is which :mrgreen:
xBR outperforms hqNx even at a lower scale factor easily.
Now THAT was a good try to play this... And it worked. From my part, i didn't use HQ4X because my current Laptop is creepy and that's why i will play this Add-On :)
You can have my support in this one, that means i can help you, if you want.

EDIT; Sorry for telling it so late, but, i use PLA1D1 Sprite for my BD Add-On Trailer :( Sorry for using them incorrectly.
Immortal Destroyer

I clean up the Brutal Cacodemon;

^
|
| The New One

^
|
| The Old One

Changes; All the cubes are now crosses, improved spikes, improved teeth, improved eye, improved the "Beard" under his mouth.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Sp00kyFox wrote:well, because it is 3xBR.
You're comparing hq4x to 3xbr. That's a completely off comparision because THE LATTER ONE IS NOT AT ITS NATIVE RESOLUTION UNLIKE THE FORMER.
Sp00kyFox wrote:not really. I guess you used the tool ImageResizer for that.
Only for the hq4x one because I didn't have it handy.
Sp00kyFox wrote:second point: xBR leads to color blendings
holy fucking shit it's almost like hqnx is palette-compliant (and it's not like the upscales of 3xbrnoblend you have don't suffer from 'color blending', which is why I point out that your comparision is wrongfully done.)

The black pixels can also be fixed with some trickery:
ImageImage
holy shit it's actually 4xbr lined up with hq4x and not 3xbr+1.33xbilinear lined up with hq4x
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

@Immortal Destroyer
I'm not a sprite artist, so I don't have the intention to manually rework the sprites. Overall I'm petty satisfied with the automatic result, even if there are some little flaws here and there. If you wanna edit some things and fix artefacts, feel free to do so. You have my support if you need help with the ripping or batch upscale process.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blox wrote:You're comparing hq4x to 3xbr. That's a completely off comparision because THE LATTER ONE IS NOT AT ITS NATIVE RESOLUTION UNLIKE THE FORMER.
yes, and? this is exactly what I wanted to do. why should I use other scale factors when I wanted to demonstrate to Immortal Destroyer that 3xBR lvl4 noblend does a better job than hq4x at interpolating edges.
Blox wrote:holy fucking shit it's almost like hqnx is palette-compliant (and it's not like the upscales of 3xbrnoblend you have don't suffer from 'color blending', which is why I point out that your comparision is wrongfully done.)
3xBR-noblend doesn't suffer from color blendings, hence the name. But in this comparison picture I needed to upscale the 3xBR one with a factor of 4/3, so that all versions have the same size. Since this is not an integer number I can't use nearest neighbor for that. And that bilinear upscaling is definitely not palette-compliant is common knowledge. Do I really have to explain this to you? I could've upscaled 3xBR with nearest neighbor to 6x and scale it down to 4x with bilinear though, that probably gives a truer perception to the original.
Blox wrote:holy shit it's actually 4xbr lined up with hq4x and not 3xbr+1.33xbilinear lined up with hq4x
yeah, and that's also off-topic. 4xBR-lvl3 isn't used in this thread. no reason to get so snippy here just because you failed at smartassing.
Last edited by Sp00kyFox on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sp00kyFox wrote:3xBR-noblend doesn't suffer from color blendings, hence the name. But in this comparison picture I need to upscale the 3xBR one with a factor of 4/3, so that all versions have the same size. Since this is not an integer number I can't use nearest neighbor for that.
Upscale 3xBR with a factor of 4 in nearest neighbor, and the hq4x with a factor of 3. Bam. Both are the same size now! :P

Since the cacodemon sprite is mirrored, you can just use the right half of one and the left half of the other so as not to make the resulting picture too huge.
Immortal Destroyer

Sp00kyFox wrote:@Immortal Destroyer
I'm not a sprite artist, so I don't have the intention to manually rework the sprites. Overall I'm petty satisfied with the automatic result, even if there are some little flaws here and there. If you wanna edit some things and fix artefacts, feel free to do so. You have my support if you need help with the ripping or batch upscale process.
I work with Sprites for years, if you want i can send you more, and before you made Sprites with this program, edit them too (I don't want to make you work harder, but, if you follow this tip, you're sprites will look absolutely awesome) i like my Cacodemon frame, because THAT'S is called "HD". If you don't want to, just send it to me, and i can work on it. I like to help people in such things 8-). I just need time, because i'm busy in other projects too.

EDIT; What is that program? I use SpriteBomb for HD Sprites.
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

Gez wrote:Upscale 3xBR with a factor of 4 in nearest neighbor, and the hq4x with a factor of 3. Bam. Both are the same size now! :P
Of course, but even with the half trick still a little bit over the top with the size. This whole discussion slowly becomes absurd and goes beyond what's reasonable. I just wanted to make a comparison shot to demonstrate the clearly visible difference between those two scaling algorithms what I successfully did. There is no need for perfect pixel illustration here since the visual perception doesn't really differ at same display size.

-------------------------
Immortal Destroyer wrote:I work with Sprites for years, if you want i can send you more, and before you made Sprites with this program, edit them too (I don't want to make you work harder, but, if you follow this tip, you're sprites will look absolutely awesome) i like my Cacodemon frame, because THAT'S is called "HD". If you don't want to, just send it to me, and i can work on it. I like to help people in such things 8-). I just need time, because i'm busy in other projects too.
me too. I really have no interest in further working on these sprites (not that I have in the first place). and you can't be serious calling this rework HD. HD is something like the sprite work done in SSF2T HDR where the whole image is artistically remade and not some upscales where you remove some little flaws. that's still only an upscale.
Immortal Destroyer wrote:What is that program? I use SpriteBomb for HD Sprites.
it's a commandline tool by hyllian the author of xBR. pretty straight forward, there is nothing to configure. just throw your png file at it.
Ashenwraith

Post by Ashenwraith »

Sp00kyFox wrote: Of course, but even with the half trick still a little bit over the top with the size. This whole discussion slowly becomes absurd and goes beyond what's reasonable. I just wanted to make a comparison shot to demonstrate the clearly visible difference between those two scaling algorithms what I successfully did. There is no need for perfect pixel illustration here since the visual perception doesn't really differ at same display size.
Hey Brutal Doom v20 is coming out soon and it would be great to get those sprite in 5x xbrZ with the new blur feature maybe. I tried checking out Hylian thread and reading and reading and downloaded a lot of different programs, but not one I can just plug the shaders in and start batching away.

Don't really care what people think about upscaled sprites, there's always these people who get all bent out of shape when anything in a game is altered. Still don't have anyone making all the the HD sprites by hand and these are by far the best.

Plz hook me up man.
Ringman

Post by Ringman »

You guys are doing this all wrong!

Here's the easiest way to do it.

Click the gif below for the full tutorial.
Attachments
HiResSpriteTutorial.gif
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TehRealSalt »

Next time on "People miss the point on this one particular topic again"...
3xBR-noblend Sprite Upscales
I think the point of these is that ZDoom/GZDoom does not contain this specific filter.
it isn't supposed to be HD and it doesn't even try to compete with handmade sprites.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”