[WIP] Astrostein Redux v2

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Which Astrostein should be updated first?

Astrostein
95%
Astrostein 2
No votes
Astrostein 3
5%

Total votes: 20

darkhaven3

Re: [WIP] Astrostein Redux

Post by darkhaven3 »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Suggestions for the mod
Make maps instead is my suggestion.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

darkhaven3 wrote:
Sgt. Shivers wrote:Suggestions for the mod
Make maps instead is my suggestion.
I plan on making a whole astrostein sequel set in a different part of the astrostein Axis occupied future, but I gotta get the enemies done first. Thanks for the suggestion!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

i hope that means you're gonna revamping those all of maps after you finished enemies first, not a making a new ones for wasting times though.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Considering each of the astrostein games have different enemies and scenery, this could be a bit difficult. It might happen, but so far it looks like I might have to make each enemy/scenery replacement seperate for each game.
Why? There is DECORATE :)
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Tormentor667 wrote:
Sgt. Shivers wrote:Considering each of the astrostein games have different enemies and scenery, this could be a bit difficult. It might happen, but so far it looks like I might have to make each enemy/scenery replacement seperate for each game.
Why? There is DECORATE :)
Yeah, but in different games something like the explosive barrel could be just a barrel or a power pylon. I'd have to go in and manually replace all the things that are different.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:I'd have to go in and manually replace all the things that are different.
Not really. DB2 can perform a search-and-replace of all instances of any given thing on the current map.

If the maps are Doom or Hexen format, you can use SLADE's "Replace in maps" feature to update all the maps in the archive at once. (Unfortunately, UDMF is not supported yet for this feature.)

You can even automate it by preparing a series of replacethings commands in a text file, and then run it.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: [WIP] Astrostein Redux v2

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

What I mean is that I'd have to go into the levels and get a clear understanding of what everything is before I can start updating what is in the maps. I will just use the replace things once I can, but without clear knowledge of what everything is supposed to do I could accidentally make some ambient sound generator a silent piece of scenery or something.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Should this be loaded before or after 'astro.deh', or, for playing with Astrostein 1, 'astro.deh' is not needed?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

astro.deh is dehacked file, so it's needed when if you want to see the changed item names or obituaries.
Alexis06

Post by Alexis06 »

Thanks for the V2.

Note: I think the game is easier with Astrostein Redux. Is an easier game is a deliberate feature ?
IMHO, one of the interest of the Astrostein series was its hardness. maybe you should now work on harder enemies.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

not me, i'm always play the astrostein with ultra violence. and maybe super shotgun and chaingun replacement weapons was bit stronger, though.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n1dou ... nRedux.zip
about optional choice, this version's every arsenal has been reduced and fancy-nized. also i'm always waiting for decent fixing for his project. free to look around little bit, and free to rip. even everything.

and i perfer to reboot episode one first.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

How about somebody to do some sector lighting update work to the levels? I'm itching to do some of that myself.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Sure, I'd really appreciate someone to help go through the levels and update the dehacked parts too.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

First efforts with sector lighting improvement:

What do you think of applying this universally to the levels where you have these hall lights like this occurring? Notice the monitor too.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Yeah, it looks pretty nice!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”