X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 02-26-16 UPDATE)

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:Something has been bothering me for a while about Helsturm. Why haven't you removed the centered X-weapon guns from the Helsturm build?
Probably to avoid breaking weapon spawning; furthermore, the newer weapons are, codewise, built directly on their older counterparts. I may be able to replace them soon, since 3D modeling has turned out to be a more efficient use of time and effort, and sprites are easier to make when you have a dynamic, adjustable base.
NullWire

Post by NullWire »

A small suggestion:

-I think for the double barrel shotgun you can use the double barrel one from Complex doom.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

NullWire wrote:A small suggestion:

-I think for the double barrel shotgun you can use the double barrel one from Complex doom.
I have a complete set for the Super Shotgun, and should I need a new one, I have enough 3D modelling experience to make one. However, I will have a look at CD's super, in case I like what I see and feel too lazy to model.

Also, I've finally successfully stolen adapted Brutal Doom's headshot system (minus special animations/unnecessary gore/etc.), which has been on my to-do list since the original X-Weapon - expect some sort of update soon.

EDIT: The Super Shotgun is bugged - the player can neither spawn with it nor pick it up; older versions of Helsturm do not have this problem, but the Super hasn't been changed since then, so it has to be caused by something I added or changed with helsturm_alt.pk3 (I ran the older helsturm.pk3 to see if it was an issue with GZDoom and not the mod). There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why the weapon is inaccessible, and "give supershotgunx" doesn't return any errors (the logical one being "No such actor"), so I have to remove every change to the experimental build until I find the one that breaks the Super Shotty.

EDIT II: One invisible frame called on a HUD sprite that I have long since removed, which basically tells GZDoom to ignore the weapon since the frame is neither truly invisible (4ARGA0 is the old AR idle) nor present (the old M81 set was replaced by a differently named spriteset). As soon as I finish applying headshots all around, I'll update the experimental build (all zombie and imp variants have them; need to do greater demons and the Wehrmacht next - Pinky demons won't have headshot hitboxes, being lumbering, charging meatshields).
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

name maps? :D
TheRailgunner

Re: X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 03-13-16 UPDATE)

Post by TheRailgunner »

Miguel371xd wrote:name maps? :D
Are you asking me to name the maps in the screenshots, or are you suggesting that I remap the weapon names?

Anyway, it occurs to me that, with the advent of proper headshootery, the balance of gameplay is somewhat fragile - packs of enemies can deal lethal damage in short order, but more powerful weapons (aimed at head level, of course) clear rooms and hallways with unrealistic ease, making the Pulse Cannon and Super Shotgun too unbalanced.

Playtesting Complex Doom, I found both a Demontech Rifle (green with different projectile effects, but otherwise identical to X-Weapon's) and a zombie to match, so Demontech Zombies may be joining the enemy roster. In the meantime, I've updated the experimental build with experimental headshots (zombies, imps, and hell nobles for now until I ascertain the proper hitbox dimensions for the other hellspawn), an unbugged Super Shotgun, and new firing sounds for the Ayanami-S Carbine (still no reload animation, I've been putting off spriting over the modeled reload animation - if anyone feels less lazy than I, I can send the necessary modelrips)...and something extra special - Powered Hydraulic Boots, which allow the wearer to move faster and jump higher, replacing the Blursphere.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I think he's asking for the names of the maps in the screen shots. Never heard of anyone meaning "remap the weapon names" when people say something like that...
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

yes the name maps in the screens :v
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Miguel371xd wrote:yes the name maps in the screens :v
Combat Shock 2, Memento Mori 2, Plutonia 2 (see a theme?), and Whispers of Satan. I'm gonna put this question in a FAQ on the front page so I don't rudely direct people to previous times I've answered this question.

I've got a new weapon in the works - the Marksman Rifle, a powerful, long-range semi-automatic weapon that deals high damage, especially with headshots. Codewise, it is complete, but I'm still working on a proper spriteset. Speaking of headshots...

I've noticed that shots don't line up well with the in-game crosshair, at least not at combat range. This is more of a G/ZDoom issue than a mod issue, as it can be corrected via offsetting the ADS frames properly and disabling crosshairs.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

SO you replaced the M81 sprites with the Sakova and MARS A? I love them both, but why did you replace them?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carbine Dioxide wrote:SO you replaced the M81 sprites with the Sakova and MARS A? I love them both, but why did you replace them?
The M81 I replaced because I made a complete Sokova 46 set, noticed that the lore describes the M81 as an AK-47-pattern rifle, and carried on with it. The M81A3, on the other hand, I changed so that the older sprites didn't contrast too much (that, and for all intents and purposes, the MARS A is just an M16A3/4 in a different caliber, so its really just an M16 copy now). Helsturm's weapon upgrades don't replace the older ones, so the similarity between normal and upgrade stopped being necessary, particularly since newer weapons doesn't necessarily mean objectively better (the M81 deals more damage, but is less accurate and controllable than the M81A3, which has practically no recoil and less bullet spread, for example).

The other rifles I need to work on are the General Purpose Machine Gun and the Sniper Rifle, neither of which have code or sprites yet. I may be revisiting X-Enemies - while horde mechanics and tougher enemies make Helsturm an uphill battle, I don't see why I can't PillowBlaster my way through them instead.
Miguel371xd

Post by Miguel371xd »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Miguel371xd wrote:yes the name maps in the screens :v
Combat Shock 2, Memento Mori 2, Plutonia 2 (see a theme?), and Whispers of Satan. I'm gonna put this question in a FAQ on the front page so I don't rudely direct people to previous times I've answered this question.

I've got a new weapon in the works - the Marksman Rifle, a powerful, long-range semi-automatic weapon that deals high damage, especially with headshots. Codewise, it is complete, but I'm still working on a proper spriteset. Speaking of headshots...

I've noticed that shots don't line up well with the in-game crosshair, at least not at combat range. This is more of a G/ZDoom issue than a mod issue, as it can be corrected via offsetting the ADS frames properly and disabling crosshairs.
thx :D
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Post by skyrish10 »

TheRailgunner wrote: The other rifles I need to work on are the General Purpose Machine Gun.
Could be the Francis MG-13
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Ever tried doing angled sprites for the guns?
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

DoomKrakken wrote:Ever tried doing angled sprites for the guns?
Really?

Check out Helsturm.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It has angled versions of all the weapons? So far, the only one I've seen that's angled is that fist thingy... the same one in that screenshot on the OP...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”