DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rockthemike13

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.1] [MP-B7.1]

Post by rockthemike13 »

This is a pretty dumb question, but is there a way to tell what map number you are on? I can't seem to find it any where on the map, PDA, status bar or otherwise.
Last edited by rockthemike13 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayrassic Park

Post by Jayrassic Park »

Not sure if intended, but I didn't get a bonus/notice for wearing the Cerberus Armor and Boots at the same time.
rabid marine

Post by rabid marine »

Jayrassic Park wrote:Not sure if intended, but I didn't get a bonus/notice for wearing the Cerberus Armor and Boots at the same time.
That's because it also requires the Tristar Blaster.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

I've tried to make DRLA compatible with Heretic maps.
Here's the first test set:
DRLA-HereticReplacer_0.1.pk3
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Code: Select all

zdoom -iwad heretic.wad -file (place DRLA set here) DRLA-HereticReplacer_0.1.pk3
(DRLA-HereticReplacer must be last in the list). No Doom sounds/sprites yet (you can add DOOM.wad into -file section, but this will corrupt the Heretic palette).
Should I continue?
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

I really like the Nuclear Onslaught equipped with a Nano Mod.
It makes me think of that famous quote by Norman Vincent Peale:
"Shoot them with the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land some hits with the stars."
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

rockthemike13 wrote:This is a pretty dumb question, but is there a way to tell what map number you are on? I can't seem to find it any where on the map, PDA, status bar or otherwise.
Use the console, it'll be listed when you start the map.
The next update will add the maplump to the automap, sorry bout that.
NickDoom wrote:I've tried to make DRLA compatible with Heretic maps. Should I continue?
Seems cool, go for it.

Sorry for the lack of progress lately, I hit my usual sleep cycle nonsense and I've been too tired to even comprehend some of the stuff I've been trying to fix. It shouldn't be too far off if I can get through that.
KILLER2

Post by KILLER2 »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i recorded this in the weekend, but it took ages for Vegas to render out, so it only just got done.

i decided to do something less stressful and run through all of Doom 2 instead of a megawad. to compensate, i bumped the danger level up to 10. i don't know how much it affected things, but i did encounter some harrowing encounters (and showered me in insane luck as well. like jesus).
The music in these is obnoxiously loud compared to the background sound, which is a really bad idea for a game walkthrough (as good as the music is, people watch walkthroughs for the gameplay)
Also, these things are usually a lot better when you also talk about the gameplay). Just my 2cents.

Yholl wrote: Sorry for the lack of progress lately, I hit my usual sleep cycle nonsense and I've been too tired to even comprehend some of the stuff I've been trying to fix. It shouldn't be too far off if I can get through that.
You really ought to be careful with your sleeping. I used to get a slew of problems for ruining my sleep, including but not limited to:lack of productivity (to the point of dropping out of school), irritability, suicidal thoughts, a general sense of confusion about the world, very mild hallucinations, micro-sleep periods (dozing off for a few seconds without realizing it), highly reduced ability to socialize and irritable bowel syndrome.

I'm still struggling with it, but it's gotten a lot better over the last few months thanks to some semi-focused effort on my part. Not only does lack of sleep destroy you, it also makes you feel terrible and it destroys anything you will try to do. THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST THINGS YOU CAN DO TO YOURSELF!
Please for the love of God take care of yourself! We love you, and we love your mod, and I for one don't want you to suffer like this. I'm sure everyone agrees.
Now, a few tips:
-if possible, try to sleep and wake up at the same times every day, with as little variation as possible;

-don't do anything overly distracting, stressful or energizing 2h before sleep (coffee, discussing politics, gambling, taking on difficult tasks etc.)

-if you get hit by a wave of nihilism, as you usually do during sleepless periods, try to remember all the things you care about that are gonna be ruined by you continuing this behaviour (Doom modding, interactions with friends, university etc.)

-make sure the room you sleep in is clean, well ventilated and comfortable; make sure all electronic devices in your proximity are turned off;DO NOT BROWSE YOUR PHONE WHILE TRYING TO SLEEP.

-DO NOT TAKE NAPS unless you ABSOLUTELY need them;naps might seem nice, but they will further screw your sleep cycle. If you really need naps, try to schedule them at the same time every day.

-try a milestones system (i.e. I'll sleep at least 5.5 hours every day for 3 days; then increase the number of days and hours);reward yourself for good behaviour (an ice cream, gaming session or a few episodes from a series) and punish yourself for the bad one (move something you were looking forward to doing that day on the next day you respect your sleep program)

-other things (I'm sure you can come up with your own strategies)

I know this is a very strong response but as somebody who's had his life partly ruined by such "sleep cycle nonsense", mostly without even realizing the damage I was doing to myself and others, I felt the need to post this. Sleep is incredibly important for the proper functioning of humans, and once you deprive yourself of it, other things tend to follow in the wave of extreme nihilism and passivity. Please take care of yourself, it's way more important than you might think.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

KILLER2 wrote:Please for the love of God take care of yourself! We love you, and we love your mod, and I for one don't want you to suffer like this. I'm sure everyone agrees.
I very much appreciate your words. There's no need to worry, to put it simply, I just am physically unable to sleep when I'm not tired, which causes me to cycle to being nocturnal and back again every month or so. My body operates on a weirdly long sleep cycle which is out of sync with actual days. The only real issue is that I might end up being unable to concentrate on complex things for a day.

It doesn't affect me in any other way, so don't worry about any of that stuff happening, hehe.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

this video took ages to process. i'm probably not going to use these render settings in the future, because it takes way too long, even if it does looks pretty nice.
KILLER2 wrote:The music in these is obnoxiously loud compared to the background sound, which is a really bad idea for a game walkthrough (as good as the music is, people watch walkthroughs for the gameplay)
Also, these things are usually a lot better when you also talk about the gameplay). Just my 2cents.
the sound effect and music sliders were both the same when i ran through Doom 2. i could turn down the music, but i like the way it's balanced personally. it's true that some of the replacement music is mixed very loudly, that's something i never really bothered to change. i could let the music down a little, but music is a big part of my enjoyment playing the game (plus i've already finished two recording sessions of both Final Doom episodes).

i'm not interested in chatting when recording game footage. i'm more of a longplay guy than a let's play guy, and i find most let's plays to be incredibly annoying because i want to watch the gameplay, not listen to very uninteresting and interruptive people talk about random stuff i don't care about.

in any case, if there's enough demand for it, i'll look into changing the volume settings for recording (obviously this Plutonia video and the TNT one can't be changed).
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

So apart from that mysterious recipe at the top of the two-mod assembly list, I noticed a pair of 4-mod assemblies that aren't in the wiki. Anyone able to drop a hint as to which weapons I should experiment with to try and figure out the combinations?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Which assemblies do you already have?
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Ethril wrote:Which assemblies do you already have?
Spoiler:
From the wiki I have the Ripper and Gauss Rifle left to build, but there's two more that I don't know which weapons to experiment with in order to make them.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

You also need the Anti-Materiel Rifle (made from battle rifle) and the Energysaw (made from chainsaw; it's been split off from Plasma Infusion and has its own recipe now)
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Ethril wrote:You also need the Anti-Materiel Rifle (made from battle rifle) and the Energysaw (made from chainsaw; it's been split off from Plasma Infusion and has its own recipe now)
AMR is on the wiki so that's not a problem. Any hints on how to build the Energysaw or is it the same as the Plasma Infusion?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

idk how to give any kind of "hint" for this without being either uselessly vague or basically giving it away
so i'm just gonna go ahead and say it (in spoiler tags, though)
Spoiler: energysaw recipe

Return to “Gameplay Mods”