[RELEASE] Prodoomer V3.1

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Frozenwolf150

Re: [RELEASED] Prodoomer V2 [GZDooM]

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

leodoom85 wrote:Try using an older and stable build like 1.8.2 or 1.8.10.
It works fine for me.
It also works with the newest stable release 2.2.0, which is what I'm using now.

I do have a minor request for the mod author, although I don't know if this mod is still being updated. In the customize controls menu, I noticed that if you want to set quick use abilities, you have to assign a separate key to each ability. I would much prefer if there were simply 4-8 quick use slots that you could then bind from the skills menu to the skills you currently want to use, similar to Doom RPG or Wrath of Cronos. That way I wouldn't have to go back into the options menu every time I want to reconfigure my quick use skills.

ETA: I've decided to go for 100% completion and keep a record of the secrets and rings I find. If it's okay with everyone, I would eventually like to create an entry on the Doom wiki for this mod (once I finish it) and copy all the information there. However, something has been bugging the hell out of me. In Map 05: Hidden Base there is a secret elevator in the northwest part of the area where you find the blue key. I managed to get it to lower once, but I have no idea how I did it. The elevator leads to one of the rings, so I'm obviously interested in recording how to get there, but I've been all over the level a dozen times and can't remember what exactly I did to lower the elevator.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Sorry for the double post, but I have a bug report.

I was in Map15: Obscure Base Part III: Rocks and Stones and had reached the long elevator near the end that leads up to the control room with arch-viles and a scourge. I wanted to clear as many enemies out as possible before exposing myself to their fire, so I stood at the bottom of the elevator and used Remote Control to fire guided rockets up into the room. The scourge is the most dangerous enemy there, so I tried to take it out first. However, when the rocket detonated, the remote camera view did not leave the screen. It remained permanently blocking my view, even though there was no more rocket. I reloaded and tried this several more times, with the same result.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I had already used the guided rocket to activate the secret switch at the end of the tunnel to open up the secret item. That was my whole reason for coming back to this stage with the Remote Control upgrade.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:
leodoom85 wrote:Try using an older and stable build like 1.8.2 or 1.8.10.
It works fine for me.
It also works with the newest stable release 2.2.0, which is what I'm using now.

I do have a minor request for the mod author, although I don't know if this mod is still being updated. In the customize controls menu, I noticed that if you want to set quick use abilities, you have to assign a separate key to each ability. I would much prefer if there were simply 4-8 quick use slots that you could then bind from the skills menu to the skills you currently want to use, similar to Doom RPG or Wrath of Cronos. That way I wouldn't have to go back into the options menu every time I want to reconfigure my quick use skills.

ETA: I've decided to go for 100% completion and keep a record of the secrets and rings I find. If it's okay with everyone, I would eventually like to create an entry on the Doom wiki for this mod (once I finish it) and copy all the information there. However, something has been bugging the hell out of me. In Map 05: Hidden Base there is a secret elevator in the northwest part of the area where you find the blue key. I managed to get it to lower once, but I have no idea how I did it. The elevator leads to one of the rings, so I'm obviously interested in recording how to get there, but I've been all over the level a dozen times and can't remember what exactly I did to lower the elevator.
Recently, I am playing this mod again with GZDoom updated to 2.2.0.
About that map 05, if I remember correctly the way to get that ring is the following. First, you need two abilities, the no-damage Rocket launcher and the Wall-jump right?. Then you will encounter that elevator. I think the way to actívate that is to press the Use key or there is a linedef in the previous sector which activates the elevator.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

leodoom85 wrote:About that map 05, if I remember correctly the way to get that ring is the following. First, you need two abilities, the no-damage Rocket launcher and the Wall-jump right?. Then you will encounter that elevator. I think the way to actívate that is to press the Use key or there is a linedef in the previous sector which activates the elevator.
I got it to lower without either of those two abilities. It's not located high out of reach, it's just located in a room that's only accessible via that elevator. This must mean there's something that activates it, but I can't figure out what I did. I did as thorough a search of that map as possible, but it's probably staring me in the face. Hell, I already figured out how to get the secret upgrade in Map 15 (not that I have any idea what it does) but not the ring in Map 05.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Ok, let me check that thing. Maybe, and this is a "what if", maybe the problem is the version of GZDoom. That could break the script or the action involved for the elevator.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

leodoom85 wrote:Ok, let me check that thing. Maybe, and this is a "what if", maybe the problem is the version of GZDoom. That could break the script or the action involved for the elevator.
Never mind, I finally figured it out, and it was staring me right in the face.
Spoiler:
Since the teleporter after the blue door is one way, there's no way that the trigger could be anywhere else later in the level. I think the problem I had before was that I didn't know what the rumbling was supposed to indicate, so I assumed it had nothing to do with the ring.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Frozenwolf150 wrote:
leodoom85 wrote:Ok, let me check that thing. Maybe, and this is a "what if", maybe the problem is the version of GZDoom. That could break the script or the action involved for the elevator.
Never mind, I finally figured it out, and it was staring me right in the face.
Spoiler:
Since the teleporter after the blue door is one way, there's no way that the trigger could be anywhere else later in the level. I think the problem I had before was that I didn't know what the rumbling was supposed to indicate, so I assumed it had nothing to do with the ring.
That's the answer. I just remembered too when I was playing that stage right now.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

I have several more bugs to report.

I'm on Map21: Neighborhood at the boss fight with the Criminal. I'm trying to get the achievement where you kill him without killing the kamikazes. I had already found the final secret area, so I figured, I'd just drop down there and take the teleporter back to the west side of the lava pit so that I can use my sniper rifle on him. I didn't realize that an invisible barrier had been raised in the middle of the lava pit, blocking my shots. When I tried to jump back over to reach him, I then realized that I was now stranded on the wrong side of the lava pit. There was no way to finish the level, so I had to reload a previous save.

Also, on the same map, the building with the green door to the right of the start point has a spawning error. Both times I've played this level, the same thing has happened. When I come back with the green keycard and fight off the elite cyborgs, I hear a third zombie nearby. I can't find him normally, so I turn on the automap cheat and find that he spawned inside the north wall. He's completely stuck in there, so I can only kill him with Telekinesis.

There is a bug regarding the Concentration skill. It's supposed to last the entire duration of the cooldown, however if you use either of the two weapon skills that fire a 100% accurate burst, Mastery Pistol or Mastery Uzi, it will cancel out the Concentration effect for the rest of its duration.

ETA: I just finished clearing Map25: Lost Colony and I think there's a script error. Specifically, it has to do with this:
leodoom85 wrote:
PsychoSilverTH wrote:
leodoom85 wrote:I just realized that i have another monster remaining :? . That monster appears between the mini cyberdemon and the knight of infernus in the bestiary list. Please tell me where to find that monster :P .
MAP25
Thanks. I will find him and i will kill him :twisted: .
I sent him a PM asking how he found said creature, and explained the ways I tried, and he replied that it should have worked. This may be an incompatibility with GZDoom 2.2.0. Here's what I said:
Spoiler:
Incidentally, yes you heard right, it's possible to get up on top of it without cheating, but I doubt this was intended.

ETA: I have just found a game-breaking glitch. I was fighting the boss of Map30 and I realized the only way I could damage him fast enough was to fire Electric Destruction through the gap. I managed to fit the shot through, and it quickly reduced him to 0 HP. However when his death animation was supposed to play, GZDoom completely locked up. I'm not sure if it's a graphics issue, because I tried again, this time disabling things like dynamic lights, texture filters, and fog, but the same thing happened again. I can't get past this boss, and I can't finish the mod.

Update: I tried just leaving the game running unattended for a while. The stage did finally conclude, but I was getting less than 1 frame per minute during the boss's death animation. My computer isn't top of the line, but it's reasonably fast, so this should not be happening. There are just too many effects stacked on top of each other during the death animation. I don't think it's possible to get through Map30 normally without resorting to cheats.

...And the same thing happened during the ending cutscene when the alien homeworld is supposed to blow up, or something I guess.

...And the same thing happened during the scripted sequence at the end of Map32.

...And again when I tested the secondary fire of the cannon secret weapon. It has to play the nuclear blast animation, which is the same thing that always crashes the game.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Okay, despite the glitches mentioned above, I finally managed to get 100% completion on Badass difficulty. I'll C&P my notes here.
Spoiler: Massive Spoilers Ahead!
Last edited by Frozenwolf150 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

Frozenwolf150 wrote: Update: I tried just leaving the game running unattended for a while. The stage did finally conclude, but I was getting less than 1 frame per minute during the boss's death animation. My computer isn't top of the line, but it's reasonably fast, so this should not be happening. There are just too many effects stacked on top of each other during the death animation. I don't think it's possible to get through Map30 normally without resorting to cheats.

...And the same thing happened during the ending cutscene when the alien homeworld is supposed to blow up, or something I guess.

...And the same thing happened during the scripted sequence at the end of Map32.

...And again when I tested the secondary fire of the cannon secret weapon. It has to play the nuclear blast animation, which is the same thing that always crashes the game.
I got through this by doing that in the console:

Code: Select all

Remove ExplGhost; Remove ExplGhost2; Remove ExplGhost3; remove ExplGhostLarge; Remove NukeFlare; Remove LavaSplashLarge
Do this a couple times with a one second pause between each and the cutscene will take four seconds, tops.
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Tapwave wrote:
Frozenwolf150 wrote: Update: I tried just leaving the game running unattended for a while. The stage did finally conclude, but I was getting less than 1 frame per minute during the boss's death animation. My computer isn't top of the line, but it's reasonably fast, so this should not be happening. There are just too many effects stacked on top of each other during the death animation. I don't think it's possible to get through Map30 normally without resorting to cheats.

I got through this by doing that in the console:

Remove ExplGhost; Remove ExplGhost2; Remove ExplGhost3; remove ExplGhostLarge; Remove NukeFlare; Remove LavaSplashLarge
Do this a couple times with a one second pause between each and the cutscene will take four seconds, tops.
Thanks, that will be of great help. I hope the mod does get updated with bugfixes, but until then I'll use your method.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It'd be nice if we could get those uncompiled SCRIPTS lumps...
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Tapwave wrote: I got through this by doing that in the console:

Okay, I did this after beating the boss of Map 30 and it worked, since the explosion animation only has to play once. However, then when I got to the ending cutscene after Map 31, it didn't work out so well because the explosion animation plays over and over again from different angles. Even after I bound a key to execute all those commands simultaneously, there was still a significant delay in between frames.

Is there a way to prevent these actors from being spawned in the first place?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

One can create a patch that has actors that replace the unwanted actors with "null" actors that fizzle out of existence immediately upon spawning...

An example of such an actor definition...

ACTOR NullActor replaces ExplGhost
{
    States
    {
    Spawn:
        TNT1 A 0
        Stop
    }
}
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

BTW I meant to ask the mod author, although I don't know if he comes on here anymore. Do you want a proofreader? I'm a writer and editor, and I'd be willing to help edit the dialogue text and narration for this mod. I've noticed that the grammar is formatted like Spanish instead of English (i.e. with adjectives coming after the noun instead of before) but this should be simple enough to fix. I'm actually studying Spanish myself (and I'm quite terrible at it) so maybe we could help each other out.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”